PeacemakerJack

1054 Wheel Horse—a 10hp Beast!

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, TIGman said:

https://youtu.be/MkeUpV6RB2E

My 1054 a couple years ago plowing snow. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Rugged bugger...

I don't want snow back yet but I'm looking forward to trying the 60" plow that @wallfish gave us on the Cinnamon Horse.... 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Rugged bugger...

I don't want snow back yet but I'm looking forward to trying the 60" plow that @wallfish gave us on the Cinnamon Horse.... 

Does Cinnamon have a manual lift?  You’re about to have a Popeye arm!

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Popeye arm

That was literally a nickname at a former job.

:handgestures-thumbupright:

I really don't mind the workout.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Popeye arm?  That’s a funny name.  I like EB and BBT better.  And Mirror.  Don’t forget the pooch!

• Heart 1

PeacemakerJack

That is one thing Caleb loves about WH manual lift arms—they are on the left side and he is a “lefty”.  So, it is his strong arm...however...I still am a HUGE fan of assisted lift.  I still think it is so cool that the 1054/953 series had integrated hydraulic lift that was standard equipment from the manufacturer.  

Ahead of the curve at that point in time:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

Pullstart

I have learned to love the hydraulic lifts too.  Putt Putt is great for playing in a garden plot.  20 acres?  It gets a bit tiring.  Would I do it right now?  Yep.  Tomorrow?  Yep.  How bout the next day?  :D  EB you might want to figure out some type of spring assist with the lift... something heavy and long for underneath.

ebinmaine
55 minutes ago, pullstart said:

assist

I've considered that multiple times and of course I'll have to do something in the future.

Hydraulic lift mechanism is part of my curiosity for a Hydro Drive tractor as opposed to a Gear Drive like all of ours currently are.

I really have almost no idea how many times I put the plow up and down while doing our driveway. 50? 100? More? So obviously that does get pretty tiring on my left shoulder.

• Like 1

19richie66

Remember in high school Eric .......

67112850-3658-4856-95D6-A9B6095A5BE3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine

0 man oh man that's like the scariest picture ever

• Haha 2

19richie66

That’s manual lifts for you. Them plows would be a workout for sure

• Like 2

wallfish
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I've considered that multiple times and of course I'll have to do something in the future.

A lift assist spring would certainly help with the 60" blade. If you don't require a high lift height, it can be linked to the hole closer to the shaft which gives quite a bit more leverage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
On 11/21/2019 at 11:22 AM, SALTYWRIGHT said:

LOOKING AT A STEAM ENGINE FOR IT.

RUSS:    I am looking forward to this one for sure!              

Image result for you da man

• Like 2

wh315-8
On 11/21/2019 at 12:16 PM, PeacemakerJack said:

Rather than retell the whole story about dad’s set up...

Here is the link to his thread.  It has answers to all the questions you have asked above.  I will say one thing here...wider is not necessarily better for furrow plowing.  I feel that too wide causes to much floatation and that causes problems for traction.  However, dad’s are only 7.60” wide and therefore bite in real well.  His tires are hard to beat for what he uses them for. I can’t wait to see @ebinmaine‘s report on his once he has Colossus up and working...

Very cool story, and that post did answer my questions. 

• Thanks 1

marreque
On 9/9/2019 at 7:08 PM, Lane Ranger said:

We have several 1054's and one 1054-A.   Main difference on 1054-A is frobnt and rear tires on the original tractor.   Turf type tread on back and wider tires on front than the 1964 model.   Wheel Horse advertised and sold 1054 and 1054-A into 1966 (see company advertisement literature).

I do not know of any knob differences on shifter , etc.   The 953  had white knobs on the Throttle and Choke cables and black on the 1054- and 1054-A's.

These are really great tractors.  The early 953's had the Ross steering gears.   The demand for the tractor forced Wheel Horse to develop a fan gear as they could not get enough Ross steering gears to meet demand.  The Ross steering gear was being used and sold in a number of other model garden tractors at teh time.

The 953/1054/1054-A is the first garden tractor with a 48 inch Mower Deck made in the USA.

The first photo of four of our 1054

s was used in the "American Pickers"  TV Show shown on December 4, 2014 (The Grudge Match)  when they bough a 633 Wheel Horse Garden Tractor in Iowa.  The picture was used as backup history on the Wheel Horse company in the segment.

gallery_339_37_648906 (1).jpg

277.JPG

278.JPG

763.JPG

165.JPG

gallery_339_37_606252.jpg

gallery_339_37_1304624.jpg

gallery_339_343_636933.jpg

Hey Lane..I have a original 1054A with white choke and throttle knobs. I'm not knocking your knowledge but maybe they put on what they had. Only reason I know is the tractor was purchased original by my grandfather.

• Like 3

WHX??
8 minutes ago, marreque said:

Hey Lane..I have a original 1054A with white choke and throttle knobs. I'm not knocking your knowledge but maybe they put on what they had. Only reason I know is the tractor was purchased original by my grandfather.

Older thread here guy but ...Sorry @marreque gotta call yer hand... we need :text-coolphotos: :)

• Like 3

Lane Ranger

1054-A was sold in 1965 and 1966.  It might have had some white knobs on throttle and choke cables but I know 953 had them and 1054 were black.  

As someone I knew said , “ who knew what Doris did on Friday when she was wanting to get out early”!   Wheel Horse did not waste parts.  John Deere by the way still sells the black ones as they were used on some of their tractors too! 

Our 1966. 1054-A also has white knobs as seen in this photo!

4364826A-3FEF-412B-9F1D-DF14F9C6927F.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
3 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

It might have had some white knobs on throttle and choke cables but I know 953 had them and 1054 were black.

Glen Pettit told me that 953 was the only model that had white choke/throttle knobs but I know I've seen them on 1054s too. Like you said, "Wheel Horse did not waste parts." 

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher
On 9/9/2019 at 4:38 PM, Mikey the Monkey said:

Seems as though I've read somewhere about that work horse name. Maybe wheel horse wanted to use it but got in trouble because it was too close to a Canadian tractor brand??? Am I dreaming this up? Maybe I'm inhaling too much regal red?

I'm inhaling too much regal red? I hear you on that Micky.

wh315-8

My 1054, #43553 has original white choke/throttle. They are old & cracked. I got new ones before Glenn Petit sold out.

• Like 4

Joe Shmo

Here’s mine.  Actually got her making noise today.  Still need to clean gas tank.  Her name is Henrietta. 1964.  Anyone know where I can get tires?

5C80C337-412E-49C1-9A10-B5DB641F1417.jpeg

A83B772A-F237-437B-BBCD-9F1BCCF2A82E.jpeg

Edited by Joe Shmo
Add question
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

sjoemie himself

@Joe Shmo nice tractor. What size is on the tires?

Joe Shmo

6.40-15 rear and 4.80/4.00-8 front 

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, Joe Shmo said:

6.40-15 rear and 4.80/4.00-8 front 

@Pullstart @PeacemakerJack and @19richie66 could chime in for starters.  

Love the name by the way. Henrietta... Story behind it?

19richie66

I am no help on ag tires. :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1

Joe Shmo
45 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@Pullstart @PeacemakerJack and @19richie66 could chime in for starters.  

Love the name by the way. Henrietta... Story behind it?

Just what my dad called her 

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2