PeacemakerJack

1054 Wheel Horse—a 10hp Beast!

wh315-8

Here's my 64 ready for snow. I have the inside rear weights, really help with traction. In spring I pull a two bottom 12" plows for the garden, hydraulics are great.

20191029_190501.jpg

0911181330.jpg

• Excellent 8

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost:thanks for sharing the cool pics and the story.  Please make sure you post some pics of that thing turning earth when you have some!  It sure is easy to like the durability and features of these machines...plus as @953 nut says, “they look so cool!”

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

wh315-8

1604546861_wheelhorse315-8007.jpg.83d8ba3758b90489c12c5463a2a643ec.jpg

This is my plow setup, found a pic.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Wow, can't wait to see at work!  How does the hydraulic lift (and cable) fare when coming out of the furrow?

PeacemakerJack

Words fail me when I look at that double plow setup...:confusion-helpsos: I end up with far more questions than answers.  :confusion-confused:

—How much does it weigh?

—How lightweight is the soil that it is used in?

—ditto Kevin’s question

—How much weight do you use on the tractor to keep traction?

—how does it trail behind the tractor 

—when lifted, does the front of the tractor stay on the ground without weight?

—do you actually add weight to the plow in that angle iron bracket?

—what is the size of those two shares?

—ditto my own statement—“where’s the video of this in operation?”

I’m gonna tag my plow buddies (besides Kevin—he started us off)...they might even have more questions...

@WHX24 @Achto @prondzy @Shynon

@wheelhorseman 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wh315-8

Always pulls right up. Used to pull the plow with a manual lift on my 315-8. Usually have 30-40# weights on it. It's never lifted the front of tractor up. I have done virgin ground, it's just shallow until the 2nd go around when the front is in the furrow. They pull good and straight. Don't have a  video but will work on that next spring. Turns over about two feet and 6-8" deep. Seems like I hijacked your 1054 post into a plow story. Didn't mean  to do that. I had a post on here before about this setup, have to try to find it later.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

WHX??
25 minutes ago, wh315-8 said:

I hijacked your 1054 post into a plow story

Hijack away dude with stuff like that! Jack says anything you let me worry about him! 

We is gonna have to send you a personal invite to our plow day you bring that beast! 

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

wh315-8

That is the post. I have seen the plow days videos.  Are they in different places or always in one location. 

Pullstart

@WHX24 hosts at his house every fall... mid-late October.  He finds us the cream of the crop field to turn for a local farmer.

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

On painting the wheels, here's my opinion. On s vintage patina tractor Rust-Oleum almond color looks great. Just a bit more  tan than most of the original wheels you see but it's a close match to one set I got on a C 141.   So it's an original color,but a bit  darker than what you find on the average.  That's why it blends so well with the rusty bits in the paint  Imho

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Thanks 1

TIGman

Back in the summer of 2016 I told my friends here a 1054 was coming up for auction.   "TIG you have to buy it" ! my friends said.  Best thing I ever did on my tractor purchases. :handgestures-thumbupright: :)

Absolutely one of my favorites, especially in the winter plowing snow. 

That 54" blade makes short work of my driveway. 

IMG_20160703_185506268.jpg

IMG_20191120_083602.jpg

IMG_20161223_163536.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, TIGman said:

Absolutely one of my favorites, especially in the winter plowing snow

I see the chains on the AG's.

Do you run any weights?

TIGman

My 250+ lbs of "seat ballast"  lol ;):lol:

Actually I also have a piece of scrap steel from the shop cut to fit in the tool box area behind the seat too. 

Edited by TIGman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, TIGman said:

My 250+ lbs of "seat ballast"  lol ;):lol:

Actually I also have a piece of scrap steel from the shop cut to fit in the tool box area behind the seat too. 

Right there with ya brother. Plus a little more even.....

• Haha 1

WHX??

Did you do the resto on that Tigs? Looks really clean and don't find many with the fenders that strait. 

• Like 1

TIGman
8 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Did you do the resto on that Tigs? Looks really clean and don't find many with the fenders that strait. 

Yes I did cleanup and refurbish on the 1054.   No complete disassembly.

Yes I lucked out on the overall condition,

no bends in fenders, etc.  :handgestures-thumbupright::)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

@TIGman thanks for sharing the pictures here of your 1054.  That sure is a beautiful machine. You were very fortunate to start with a nice looking machine to begin with and then rolled up your sleeves and made it look great!  My dad loves blading his driveway with his 953 as well...

1B61FE4A-0D59-4622-928C-1F4030D0B695.jpeg.bdc4a33282dc4b766efa05c2c0ffeeed.jpeg

Ironically, dad hasn’t needed to run chains on his but that is probably because he blows all deeper snows.

5E33DA58-BCA2-4ED0-BDBF-90D12F82CE4B.jpeg.9975d0d930d3c1604e4f7d95230e20b0.jpeg

He loves having the “one-two” punch of a blade machine and a blower machine ready at a moments notice!  

• Excellent 7

PeacemakerJack
On 11/19/2019 at 6:15 PM, wh315-8 said:

That is the post. I have seen the plow days videos.  Are they in different places or always in one location. 

There are a variety of plow days across the Midwest and some in other parts of the country as well.  Most are for antique full size tractors but over the last 15 years or so more have popped up that are for GT’s.  I have been to about 10 different PD venues over the years that I have had an interest in it.  My uncles farm a combined total of about 350 acres of land every year and I usually have the privilege of doing some plowing there.  I’ve been to Iowa and Illinois for plow days as well.  Jim’s Plow Day is a lot of fun because the soil turns so easy.  Some of the plow days that I have attended have pretty hard ground and that takes a lot of the fun out of it.  We cover much of this in the Plowing thread.  If you ever can make the run up to Jim’s, I highly recommend it!

Maybe someday we can start a thread in the shows section of the forum and scout out the plow days in a given calendar year and post dates/links/etc so that everyone is aware of them...

• Like 3

WHX??
49 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

everyone is aware of them...

Spoken like a true furrow dog! :lol:

Dad's tractor sure does look sharp with those rears! :thumbs2: Gives it that big tractor look! 

1 hour ago, PeacemakerJack said:

He loves having

The hydraulics I would say with that heavy plow! 

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

I HAVE A 1054 THAT I PUT IN A DIESEL AND REMOTE START, A FRONT WINCH AND TWO BATTERYS. NOW I AM LOOKING AT A STEAM ENGINE FOR IT.

SORRY NO PICTURES. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, SALTYWRIGHT said:

I HAVE A 1054 THAT I PUT IN A DIESEL AND REMOTE START, A FRONT WINCH AND TWO BATTERYS. NOW I AM LOOKING AT A STEAM ENGINE FOR IT.

SORRY NO PICTURES. 

Sounds pretty awesome. I've seen a few garden tractors with hit and miss engines on them. Never steam...

Love to see pics or video of that when you can.

• Like 1

wh315-8
3 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

There are a variety of plow days across the Midwest and some in other parts of the country as well.  Most are for antique full size tractors but over the last 15 years or so more have popped up that are for GT’s.  I have been to about 10 different PD venues over the years that I have had an interest in it.  My uncles farm a combined total of about 350 acres of land every year and I usually have the privilege of doing some plowing there.  I’ve been to Iowa and Illinois for plow days as well.  Jim’s Plow Day is a lot of fun because the soil turns so easy.  Some of the plow days that I have attended have pretty hard ground and that takes a lot of the fun out of it.  We cover much of this in the Plowing thread.  If you ever can make the run up to Jim’s, I highly recommend it!

Maybe someday we can start a thread in the shows section of the forum and scout out the plow days in a given calendar year and post dates/links/etc so that everyone is aware of them...

I like that idea about a calendar of dates/places for plow days. I would imagine that those events also bring vendors for parts and such. From the videos I have seen, a lot of unique tractors and setups to drool over. I like those rears on your Dad's 953, they look wider than others or is it just the picture angle? If so I would assume the width helps with the traction. Does it have the inside weights? Mine came with the tractor when purchased and I have concluded thru research that they are made for a skid steer, not great for traction on a light tractor. I also realized through this forum that mine take up the whole wheel well making it impossible to have chains on. I do have inner weights that help. 

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Rather than retell the whole story about dad’s set up...

Here is the link to his thread.  It has answers to all the questions you have asked above.  I will say one thing here...wider is not necessarily better for furrow plowing.  I feel that too wide causes to much floatation and that causes problems for traction.  However, dad’s are only 7.60” wide and therefore bite in real well.  His tires are hard to beat for what he uses them for. I can’t wait to see @ebinmaine‘s report on his once he has Colossus up and working...

• Like 1