TonyToro

Quick change pulley for engine side help locating

TonyToro

So today I gathered more information. I saw this pulley again on the engine side of another Wheel Horse. I asked and was told it’s a quick change pulley. Does anyone here run them? What sizes do you run and where did you buy them? I google searched and just found various stock pulleys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

953 nut
9 hours ago, TonyToro said:

I saw this pulley

:wwp:                We know that you saw the pulley;   would you mind showing it to us?   We may be psychotic, but we aren't psychic!    :ychain:

Image result for karnak johnny carson

• Haha 5

Ed Kennell

Are we talking engine drive pulleys for pulling tractors?

• Like 1

Vanl

I run a 4 inch Adjustable pully on a 16hp k series kohler .  and a five inch Adjustable pully on a kohler 18hp vtwin ,with a adjustable slide motor mount . 

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

:wwp:

953 nut

:WRS:

@Vanl, for the benefit of those of us who don't have the foggiest idea of what you have going on would you please post a photo or link. Is it a variable pitch or perhaps a spring loaded variable speed unit?

Skipper

If you mean pulleys you can change size on quickly, by replacing the pulley part, and keeping the axle locking part, then yeah. I run those with great success. They are called taper lock, and they are fairly cheap from surplus center. They come in different designs that don't interchange, so stick with one. Basically you buy a center that fits your axle size, and pick any size pulley part to put on it. It goes on and off fast, and it has a really nice tight fit on the axle, as is squishes the center tight on the axle, eliminating play of any kind. The pulley part and the "hub" part are conical/tapered to fit onto each other. The design is also self centering, so you get a pulley that runs very true, if they are made right. 

Dont know if im supposed to post a link, but here goes. Should it get deleted, go to surplus centers www, and look at pulleys.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Pulleys-V-Belts/Split-Taper-Bushed-Bore-Pulleys-Hubs/

This is a few shots for you to see if that's what you are looking for :-)

20190715_153039.jpg.86be84fa766ca5b9579b935e9acf6cca.jpg

20190718_192011.jpg.f83fb7972b7c50505ca42b89c9a97d88.jpg

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

TonyToro
9 hours ago, Vanl said:

I run a 4 inch Adjustable pully on a 16hp k series kohler .  and a five inch Adjustable pully on a kohler 18hp vtwin ,with a adjustable slide motor mount . 

Yes That’s what I’m looking for! Please share where you get them. I need various sizes.

TonyToro
3 hours ago, Skipper said:

If you mean pulleys you can change size on quickly, by replacing the pulley part, and keeping the axle locking part, then yeah. I run those with great success. They are called taper lock, and they are fairly cheap from surplus center. They come in different designs that don't interchange, so stick with one. Basically you buy a center that fits your axle size, and pick any size pulley part to put on it. It goes on and off fast, and it has a really nice tight fit on the axle, as is squishes the center tight on the axle, eliminating play of any kind. The pulley part and the "hub" part are conical/tapered to fit onto each other. The design is also self centering, so you get a pulley that runs very true, if they are made right. 

Dont know if im supposed to post a link, but here goes. Should it get deleted, go to surplus centers www, and look at pulleys.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Pulleys-V-Belts/Split-Taper-Bushed-Bore-Pulleys-Hubs/

This is a few shots for you to see if that's what you are looking for :-)

20190715_153039.jpg.86be84fa766ca5b9579b935e9acf6cca.jpg

20190718_192011.jpg.f83fb7972b7c50505ca42b89c9a97d88.jpg

Thank you! Exactly what I’m after! 

TonyToro

I was a little slow in replying but here is the pulley I saw. The brand is Maska.

what sizes should I get?

The guys suggested 4-0 4-1 4-4 4-5 4-6? But I don’t know what that means? Lol

FF4932C4-43C2-495C-84CB-D910F026EB6A.jpeg

BBE92A60-8C30-4946-A5FF-237B101A5F14.jpeg

Edited by TonyToro

TonyToro

@Vanl I just reread your post and noticed you said adjustable motor mount. A guy in the club is a machinist and said he could make me a adjustable motor mount. This way I would only need one belt size for all the pulleys. Do you have a source for motor mounts? 

TonyToro
1 minute ago, 953 nut said:

Thank you!

I just found them on grainier. I’m on page 110. Now I need to figure out this pitch and diameter. I’m guessing those numbers they gave me is equivalent to outside diameter of the pulley.

• Like 1

Vanl
15 hours ago, TonyToro said:

@Vanl I just reread your post and noticed you said adjustable motor mount. A guy in the club is a machinist and said he could make me a adjustable motor mount. This way I would only need one belt size for all the pulleys. Do you have a source for motor mounts? 

As with most pulling parts for wheel Horse . they are just home made . just piece of flat stock steel mounted motor solid and made slots in steel and bolted to the holes allready in the wheel horse frame . like you say you can use same belt just slide motor to make belt tension work > 

• Thanks 1