ebinmaine

The "Colossus" project

Tractorhead

How about a double ?

Once a complete hood, that can be dismounted with rubberstraps sidely.

so you have both Worlds in.

0CF8B7D8-0C1D-4751-BADF-7096F12412D7.jpeg.5d8f5dfe72986ba81955e7d5b0a956ae.jpeg

So you be able once to Cover the Engine and leave it open while on Shows.

I think that could be a cool Solution and even a nice Gadget.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

cool Solution and even a nice Gadget

You know Stefan... You may have something there.

Perhaps run a strap hinge down the center?

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
On 9/2/2019 at 10:09 AM, ebinmaine said:

@AMC RULES

Nice lookin black hood there.

I take it they have more width?

On 9/2/2019 at 10:35 AM, AMC RULES said:

Yes in every aspect...

the height, length, and the width too Eric.   :thumbs:

20190902_102335.jpg.29ca9f0fd723283d7c310b0b4b9362df.jpg20190902_102434.jpg.2914ac6da157097088311ee7b25d562d.jpg20190902_102535.jpg.f403a0910d7612e890352c59af71aa91.jpg20190902_102403.jpg.a7bc7ca5950236c64bf4b1eb8966a330.jpg

On 9/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, ebinmaine said:

WOW!!

Ah yes....another :wh: guru comes to the sudden realization that the Black Hoods are simply better...

Should you use the Black Hood Hood, which I highly recommend, you could of course apply to become a member of the exclusive “Black Hood” Club...see catchy label below... :ph34r:

Coming along nicely! Very cool!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

ebinmaine

Haven't really had any time the last couple of days to mess with Colossus but I did spend a few minutes tonight trying to line up the engine and decide which way it should face.

What I mean by that is, this engine is so large that it's going to stick out quite a ways on the left hand side which has me somewhat concerned that the tractor will be a little off-balance in that direction.

My other thought is to turn the engine so that the driveshaft faces backwards and put a 90-degree gearbox in. I would rather not do that because I want it to look like a Wheelhorse and also because I just don't want to spend the money on the gearbox.

If anybody has any input on this or ideas on where I can get a very inexpensive right angle gearbox I'd love to hear them.

@Chris G I'll show you this when you're here.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Peerless gearbox from a mower?

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Gearbox adds unnecessary complexity in my book... unless you have it already and want to add it as part of your overall build vision...off balance look might actually add to a machine called “Colossus”...

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wildhorse

Look forward to following this build! Great ideas so far Eric!

• Thanks 1

Lee1977
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Haven't really had any time the last couple of days to mess with Colossus but I did spend a few minutes tonight trying to line up the engine and decide which way it should face.

What I mean by that is, this engine is so large that it's going to stick out quite a ways on the left hand side which has me somewhat concerned that the tractor will be a little off-balance in that direction.

My other thought is to turn the engine so that the driveshaft faces backwards and put a 90-degree gearbox in. I would rather not do that because I want it to look like a Wheelhorse and also because I just don't want to spend the money on the gearbox.

If anybody has any input on this or ideas on where I can get a very inexpensive right angle gearbox I'd love to hear them.

@Chris G I'll show you this when you're here.

How wide is the engine from the front cover to the drive pulley mounted all the way back?

Tractorhead

Rotating the Engine wasn‘t a way i would go.

how i would did this?

Centering the Engine weight with a piece of Wood where you put the Engine on,

what lies on a pipe like a Bar Rocking.

So you can easily find the Weight Center of Colossus‘s Engine itself by moving the wood over the Pipe.

Mark the center of Weight

instead in rotating the Engine(what is not Wheelhorse like), 

i would insert a second beltdriven shaft, the in row with the Engine pulley

to reduce the width with a second screwed Pulley in row to the Drive Pulley.

That has the Advantage, you can added later an additional pulley for some purposes, not yet beeing needed or known.

That means, Centered Engine with PTO. > added driveshaft with at least 2 Pulley‘s  to reduce the width.>

driveshaft from Original Gearbox.

you just needs 2 Stand stock with bearings a 1/2“ or 3/4“ pipe (depends on Power what will be transfered)

At least 2 Pulleys and any type of coverage later for the Belts.

Hope i declared my idea as simple as it is.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

off balance look might actually add to a machine called “Colossus

I'd had that thought too.... And I would like that.

I just want to be sure it's close enough to "weight center" to be stable in the woods. This WILL be a working tractor.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

How wide is the engine from the front cover to the drive pulley mounted all the way back?

I don't have exact measurements. I can get them later today and put them here for documentation.

I do know that it's about 14 to 15 inches which is 3-1/2 to 4 inches wider than a K341 16hp single.

@Tractorhead

Stefan, I am also thinking of trying to rig up a pulley system as you describe.

I like that idea as well if I can't get the engine to sit comfortably where it should line up properly.

I'd prefer that over turning the "wrong" way.

I could make or modify a belt guard and use a pulley system similar to @Ed KennellKennell 's low rider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

I know you like your tractors with some girth EB...  why not just add weight to the right side rail to balance it out when you’re finished?  You could weigh each corner to see where you end up after the build...  maybe Colossus needs a @Stormin style tool box on the right side?

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 9/6/2019 at 6:05 AM, pullstart said:

add weight to the right side rail

I've considered that as well.

With the weight we tow it would be a plus.

Steel weighs about .28 lbs/ cubic inch.

A counter weight could be an option.

Edited by ebinmaine
Corrected weight

Pullstart
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've considered that as well.

With the weight we tow it would be a plus.

Steel weighs about 2.8 lbs/ cubic inch.

A counter weight could be an option.

We could also be totally overthinking this.  Back to your original post, we’re talking about 38 lbs over a 12 horse.  That could be the difference in where your cheeks kiss the seat?  The majority of the huge factor of that K532 appears to be related to the cooling tins and flywheel.  Maybe 20% (guessing) of that extra 38 lbs is further to the left?  Are we just splitting hairs and bench racing?  I like Stefan’s idea of finding where the weight is with a simple balance test, but if it were my project, I’d align the pulleys and run it.  Maybe you could space the trans pulley out a bit, or find a pulley with an inside collar to help a bit, but I bet that’s overkill.

If ya need me to, I could yank the one off my cheap auction generator and stick it in this C-81 so we can have twins and I’ll stick it on a set of race car scales :ychain:

• Like 3

Stormin
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

maybe Colossus needs a @Stormin style tool box on the right side?

What do you think I've got in there? Gold bars? :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Pullstart
Just now, Stormin said:

What do you think I've got in there? Gold bars? :rolleyes:

What else would you keep in a tool box?  

I bet the tool box on the fender of my wife’s AC WD-45 has 25 lbs of wrenches and stuff in there :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

We could also be totally overthinking this.  Back to your original post, we’re talking about 38 lbs over a 12 horse.  That could be the difference in where your cheeks kiss the seat?  The majority of the huge factor of that K532 appears to be related to the cooling tins and flywheel.  Maybe 20% (guessing) of that extra 38 lbs is further to the left?  Are we just splitting hairs and bench racing?  I like Stefan’s idea of finding where the weight is with a simple balance test, but if it were my project, I’d align the pulleys and run it.  Maybe you could space the trans pulley out a bit, or find a pulley with an inside collar to help a bit, but I bet that’s overkill.

Okay so first things first. Let me just clarify that I absolutely AM overthinking this. I pretty much do that with everything.

I have a very analytical mind and to me that's part of the fun of the build.

So to get to the actual reality of why I'm asking these questions...

Please keep in mind that I am no mathematician or physical scientist but...

I've been through quite a lot of crane and forklift training over the years and obviously be physical act of picking up a load is a huge part of all of that training.

To bring it down to basics there are two types of weight, or load.

Static load or weight in poundage. The actual weight without any movement. No momentum involved.

Then there is Dynamic loading which is to take whatever the physical weight of the item is and add something such as wind or momentum from something like starting or stopping.

So let's say you take this engine that weighs 178 lb and you add all of that 38 lbs to one side from an even split.

178 / 2. 89 lb.

89 + 38. 127.

So that means you have 127 lb of 178 lb hanging off of the left-hand frame rail by about 2 in.

So I'm off center on the heavy side to the left by physical weight. I'm also off center on the heavy side to the left by balance weight.

Now picture the fact that I literally live on the side of a mountain and I spend a lot of time tilted one way or the other. There's where your Dynamic weight comes in.

Therein lies the reasons why I want to make sure I'm at least fairly close to being balanced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

Your explanation makes total sense!  Not only do I live under a rock in most cases, that rock is in the middle of a flat field :D

:teasing-poke: maybe you just need a warning decal from Terry.... “this side UP-MOUNTAIN”. :ROTF:

• Haha 7

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Your explanation makes total sense!  Not only do I live under a rock in most cases, that rock is in the middle of a flat field :D

:teasing-poke: maybe you just need a warning decal from Terry.... “this side UP-MOUNTAIN”. :ROTF:

YYYEEESSS !!!!!

Lee1977

A 20 HP onan is around 13 1/2" wide to the drive pulley.  It has a big cast Iron flywheel hanging 4" off the left side. The only time it's a problem is when jacking up the rear to get both wheels off the ground. 

There is just no way to balance it with the jack under the rear. Someone was using wood wedges between the front axle and frame.  Weight on a tractor is not a problem. You will need a steel plate under the engine to mount it. You could attach a weight under the plate on the right side.

You will be a lot happier with it if you take the trouble to build a new heaver longer frame. The front axle mount and transmission mount  is the hardest part to build the rest is just holes.

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Hi Eric,

we don't know us in person, i just like to clarify one Point to not be missunderstood, i hope i didn't bother you with my suggestions,

that will be not my Way. My suggestions just for thinkerin, i would also recieved if i get.

All suggestions i make, are just for a  " hope i can help you" or "how about that" and not meaned, you must do it that Way.

Hope we had no missunderstoods between us in that case.

• Heart 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Tractorhead said:

Hi Eric,

we don't know us in person, i just like to clarify one Point to not be missunderstood, i hope i didn't bother you with my suggestions,

that will be not my Way. My suggestions just for thinkerin, i would also recieved if i get.

All suggestions i make, are just for a  " hope i can help you" or "how about that" and not meaned, you must do it that Way.

Hope we had no missunderstoods between us in that case.

Oh no no no no!!!!

Quite the contrary Stefan.

I ask all of you for opinions, advice, help.

I very much appreciate the camaraderie and assistance that I get from everyone.

I like to hear and see and read about the different learning experiences and methods and trial-and-error that others have been through in the past and hope that I may learn from them.

There may be 5 or 10 different ways to do something but only one or two that works for each one of us.

Trina and I choose the best path or method of whatever it is that we ask and run with it, so to speak.

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

Tractorhead

Ah, ok.

Thanks for clearing, so i missunderstood your last port.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Ah, ok.

Thanks for clearing, so i missunderstood your last port.

No worries man.

It's all good.

:D

:handgestures-thumbupright:

ebinmaine

@Chris G and I were looking at the tractor and the offset. I really do want to keep the engine sideways like a Wheelhorse.

He and I both had the same idea which is to do the build and get it "whole"  then weigh the front tires individually.

Add weight as needed to the lighter side as also suggested by others of you.

With the terrain around here and the loads I'd be pulling...  MORE weight in my case is definitely a plus.

• Like 3