bc.gold

Branch shredder

bc.gold
On 9/1/2019 at 5:34 PM, bcgold said:

My alternative power options, the Wisconsin was thought the be seized but the mice built a nest inside the air cowling.

wis1.jpg

wis2.jpg

I can have the swather that has the Wisconsin engine for $75.00, I need a carburetor guys anyone able to assist.

He wants $250.00 for the Case combine, have to take all or nothing.

• Like 1

Stormin

I'd go for the Case combine, depending what it would cost you to shift it. Take off what you want then weigh the rest in for scrap. See if you can knock him down. Offer $175 and start arguing from there.

bc.gold
19 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I'd go for the Case combine, depending what it would cost you to shift it. Take off what you want then weigh the rest in for scrap. See if you can knock him down. Offer $175 and start arguing from there.

His asking price is not an issue, the nearest scrap yard is sixty miles away from the site, I could haul the scrap to the landfill but it's only open certain days for a limited number of hours.

Carburetor or no, I'm leaning towards the Wisconsin engine those beautiful v-belt pulleys have me intrigued plus there's a number of love-joy couplings and I think the swather has more usable iron to add to my inventory.

Its unfortunate the swather is old school and not one of the newer hydrostatic drive ones.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

What's up with the carb?

bc.gold
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

What's up with the carb?

Missing

• Like 1

bc.gold

The swather has a new owner, Darren says since the drive is variable speed it can be towed.

AT this point not sure I want to tow a machine with weathered tires, so I may dismantle the thing where it sits.

wis1.jpg

• Like 1

bc.gold

Cool the distributor is attached to the back end of the generator which appears to be gear driven. The presence of an oil filter tells me the engine has a pressurized oil system.

If memory serves me the crankshaft rides on Timken taper roller bearings with the connecting rods using shells.

crank2.png

dist.png The

• Like 1

bc.gold

Located a carburetor from another swather for $30.00, the guy is busy cutting hay until the end of the week then I'll head out to his boneyard.

I'll try to remember to take my camera for pictures of interest.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

That combine looks like its in nice shape, I would think a collector would love to have that. You might be able to trade it for something better suited for your needs. So many old machinery got scrapped when the scrap prices were so high. 

Randy

bc.gold
53 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

That combine looks like its in nice shape, I would think a collector would love to have that. You might be able to trade it for something better suited for your needs. So many old machinery got scrapped when the scrap prices were so high. 

Randy

The owner along with a farm neighbor have already approached a couple of vintage farm equipment groups none of which have expressed any interest.

Darren the owner has informed me that hidden in the weeds and brush are a number of horse drawn equipment, again no group has an interest. And they were given better options than I was given, ya can't beat free.

I suppose Darren's late uncle's legacy is the small bronze plaque the hospital attached to the new addition built from funds the late uncle had bequeathed for the purpose.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Well, if you tried, you tried. Just make a guy a little sad, around here the old combines and equipment is getting more popular to bring to shows. 

Randy

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
37 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Well, if you tried, you tried. Just make a guy a little sad, around here the old combines and equipment is getting more popular to bring to shows. 

Randy

The prevailing force behind the old farm equipment group passed away a few years ago and the handful of remaining members mostly from a younger generation do not have the required knowledge nor the skills to repair this older equipment.

Farming on the prairies has become a big corporate business, yesterday four John Deere combines numbered from 1 to 4 passed our house in transit to another crop to be harvested

A few days ago noticed four Case combines sitting side by side in a freshly harvested field waiting on orders on which field to harvest next.

The farm I visit only have two Case combines but with the new grain dryer they recently installed they can harvest well into the evening and early morning dew. Even if the crop is rained upon, it's not going to impede the harvest.

Along with the grain dryer they have eight bins each holding 50,000 bushels, they're in a financial position to hold until the selling glut has diminished a glut created by others who are forced to sell early to meet bank commitments.

Unfortunately the only interest in this old equipment is the scrap buyers who all rush it off the the shredder/

Since moving to this Province have got to know a few of the hoarders and it was my good fortune to have found a carburetor for the Wisconsin V4 engine. At the end of the week the hoarder should be free for a face to face.

While I'm at his yard I'm planing to cannibalize  the junk Wisconsin for other usable parts that I may need in the future.

I've never been this guys yard so it will be an interesting day for me.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

bc.gold

Taking the silage chopper off the trailer as I'll be needing it to haul home the Wisconsin engine and bits n pieces off that old swather.

While its in the shop weld that broken tow hitch back on, maybe scare up a few tires.

Notice the rail for the sliding door is inside the building, don't have to shovel snow to get the snow blower out. The garage door on the right hand side is just filling the hole, framed and insulated on the inside

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2

bc.gold

The overhead rail is made from 1/4" angle iron the spacers also serve as hangers, one trolly is a manufactured unit and the one with the chain falls is one I made from wheels that came from an overhead chain conveyor discarded from the hog plant.

Jack the owner of one of the scrap yards I dealt with would let me pick goodies from incoming scrap, yesterday was a sad day for me as I had just learned that the yard has a new owner.

Jack has retired.

bc.gold

It was another interesting day, I never did make out to the farm where I was supposed to get that Wisconsin carburetor, but came home with one just the same and met a new neighbor who has the time to waste chewing the fat.

• Like 1

bc.gold

Spent a few hours today dismantling the swather, the engine is a heavy beast but I did manage to get her into the back of the truck by sliding it down a plank.

And the seat I'm guessing weighs well over 100 pounds.

The final drive is chain, and the steering clutches are interesting, when one of the two steering levers is pulled a fraction the friction disk is released pull the steering lever further back the brake is applied. The swather could turn on a dime.

A nice hydraulic pump and four cylinders, two lovejoy couplings lots of pillow block bearings, sprockets and v-belt pulleys a nice sheet of 1/4" checker plate.

The pair of AG drive tires are in perfect condition although much to large for anything I currently own.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

20190923-194111.jpg

20190923-194137.jpg

20190923-194235.jpg

• Like 1

bc.gold

The VG4D is an older model engine made during the 1950's, the D after the model specifies stellight valve seats making this engine propane ready.

Model AENLD

Model
THD

Model
VH4D

Model W4-1770

Model
VG4D

Model
V465D

Cylinder

Bore
(in. /mm)

3.00/76

3.25/83

3.25/83

3.25/83

3.50/89

3.75/95

Stroke
(in. /mm)

3.25/83

3.25/83

3.25/83

3.25/83

4.0/102

4.00/102

Displacement
(cu. in. /cc)

23/377

54/883

108/1765

108/1765

154/2524

177/2901

HP @ 1500

HP @ 1800

HP @ 2000

HP @ 2200

HP @ 2400

HP @ 2600

HP @ 2800

HP @ 3000

HP @ 3200

HP @ 3400

HP @ 3600

Torque
(Ft-Ibs@RPM)

16@2200

34@2000

66@1800

71@2000

95@1600

139@1800

Weight-
in Ibs

Dimensions
(L" x W" x H")

18 x 22 x 19

19 x 23 x 26

27 x 28 x 26

30 x 26 x 28

28 x 31 x 29

34 x 28 x 36
Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
He Built His Own Skid Steer Loader
27219_l.jpg

"I built my own skid steer loader for $3,100, saving thousands of dollars on the cost of a comparable new one," says Rob Martens, Steinbach, Manitoba, who used parts from a pair of self-propelled swathers.
"It's so comfortable to operate that I can hardly wait to find jobs to use it for. When my wife hears me start it up, she wonders if I'm really working or just playing around," says Martens, who raises hogs.
He bought an International swather for $100 and stripped off everything except the hydraulic components, gas tank, seat, and 15-in. wheels. He used 4-in. sq., 1/4-in. thick steel tubing to make a frame and welded on two steel posts that attach to the loader arms off a Deere tractor. He used 1 1/4-in. steel rod to make axles and welded steel plates onto each end, drilling holes in the plates that match up with the bolt holes on the swather wheels.
The skid steer is powered by a Wisconsin 4-cyl. air-cooled gas engine (rated at 37 hp) and transmission salvaged from a junked Co-Op self-propelled swather. Originally, Martens used the swather transmission and clutches to chain-drive the wheels, but the clutches needed constant adjustment and wore out quickly so he replaced them with orbit motors powered by a 28 gpm hydraulic pump that's belt-driven off the engine. The orbit motors chain-drive the rear wheels which in turn chain-drive the front wheels. Each orbit motor is controlled by a Gresen 400 single spool valve. A splitter valve runs off the hydraulic pump to divide the flow equally to each of the valves.
Martens used 1 1/2-in. sq., 1/4-in. thick steel tubing to build a rollover cage. The 6-ft. wide bucket was custom made. A separate 12 gpm hydraulic pump operates a pair of hydraulic cylinders that raise or lower the arms. Two more cylinders are used to tilt the bucket.
"It has a lot of pushing power. With a 12-tooth sprocket on the orbital motor and a 72-tooth sprocket on the drive wheel, I get about 5,500 lbs. of torque on each side," says Martens. "By pushing one lever forward and the other back, I can turn the machine around on a dime.
"I built it because I needed a tractor with a bucket but couldn't justify the cost of a new tractor. The least expensive tractor that I could find to do what I wanted would have cost about $10,000. It took about a year to collect the parts and another two winters to build. I got the loader arms from a neighbor who had used it on a tractor that was too big, causing the loader to break. My custom-made, 6-ft. bucket is stronger than any-thing on the market. It's made from 3/8-in. steel and has extra wear plates on the bottom. I'm only 27 but it'll probably last as long as I farm. "The gas tank mounts under the seat and the hydraulic reservoir behind the operator's shoulders. I kept the swather gauges so I can monitor everything from electrical voltage to hydraulic oil temperature."
Contact: FARM SHOW Followup, Rob Martens, Box 20404, Steinbach, Manitoba, Canada R0A 2T1 (ph 204 326-9599).

• Like 1

bc.gold

This is the nest from the Wisconsin still have to clean out the other side.

piss.jpg

• Like 1

bc.gold

An update on the Wisconsin, underneath the nest a thick layer of urine soaked poop turned to a sticky mud, used a small torch to dry it out and it quickly turned to dust. It;s all been vacuumed out and is now clean as a whistle.

Muffler is full of seeds I'm going to blow air through it with an adapter to fit a spark plug hole then turn the engine until an exhaust valve opens. Then do this for each firing order to clean out the exhaust manifold runners any seed left in the muffler will burn out once the engine is running.

Spark plugs have not been removed in the past 20 years and are firmly stuck, now I understand why these cylinder heads show up on ebay with a hefty price tag.

I'll heat the aluminum cylinder head around the spark plug, squirt a shot of penetrating oil then hit it with my pneumatic impact which has amassing ability's over using hand tools when something is stuck.

Any threads that are ruined will get and insert, fortunately the head does not have to be removed to install an insert, just bring the piston to bottom dead center then stuff a shop rag into the cylinder to catch any swarf an oiled rag works best.

Edited by bcgold

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, bcgold said:

Spark plugs have not been removed in the past 20 years and are firmly stuck

Heat soak repeat

Patience is your friend there.

• Heart 1

bc.gold

Spark plugs removed, threads saved. Engine would not turn a full 360 pulled heads off and found a pile of carbon laying on the bottom of this piston, enough that it could not compress.

Never been rebuilt, considering checking the clearances on the rod bearings replace if necessary along with a new set of piston rings.

piston.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

Stormin
1 hour ago, bcgold said:

Engine would not turn a full 360 pulled heads off and found a pile of carbon laying on the bottom of this piston, enough that it could not compress.

I hope what I'm thinking has not happened, but can you push that piston down by hand?

bc.gold
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

I hope what I'm thinking has not happened, but can you push that piston down by hand?

Just some loose carbon that fell free from the cylinder head that had settled to the lower side of the piston, this is a V configured engine and the pile of carbon was enough to stop the engine from making a full revolution.

With the amount of accumulated carbon in each cylinder it would be my guess she's an oil burner and could use a new set of rings.

With winter just around the corner it's time to shelve this project and do a tune up on my trusty Onan, it generally snows on pr before the end of October.

• Like 1

bc.gold

Turns out the carbon on the piston surfaces and valves is a nice tan color that was blackened on her last run by running a rich fuel mixture.

Recently there was a discussion on the primer lever on some fuel pumps, the engineers that designed the Wisconsin engine took it a step further by incorporating the priming lever into the base that the fuel pump bolts onto.

The shiny knob on the control panel has a wire for operator convenience leading to the primer lever.

prime1.jpg

prime2.jpg

tan.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1