RickyMayhew

702 Trans

RickyMayhew

Okay let transmission set for 7 days with Diesel Fuel and Marvel Mystery Oil and oil. What next?

Edited by RickyMayhew
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

857 horse

IF SHE RUNS.????    DRIVE HER AROUND THE YARD 20 MINUTES,,,,TRY SHARING TIME IN ALL GEARS.....JACK UP THE FRONT... LOOSEN THE DRAIN PLUG UNDER THE TRANSMISSION...IF YOU DONT JACK IT UP....IT TRAPS SOME FLUID IN THE TRANS,,,,,,LET IT ALL DRAIN IN A PAN,,,,75W90,,,,2 PINTS,,,,,RIDE FOR THE WEEKEND////// I WOULD REPEAT THE PROCESS...TO REMOVE ALL THE DIESEL......

OH,,,,,IF YOU DONT HAVE,,,OR HAVE A DAMAGED OLD SHIFTER BOOT,,,,,,BUY ONE,,,,

WHILE YOU AT IT.....CHECK THE 2 SET SCREWS THAT HOLD THE 2 HUBS ON......THIS IS A HEADACHE YOU WILL BE THANKFUL YOU DID,,,,

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

agree with 857 horse , on the drive around, even better if you have a section of road that you can drive on and heat things up, did that on a used tractor i picked up. started out with stiff shifting and with drive time  and using all gears and range changes , backing up hill it started getting easier . today the gear lube looks fresh, and it shifts with no issue, also replace the shiftier boot , use silicone grease on the boot shiftier hole and the larger inner edge , for easy replacement, cut off old with a razor blade, pete

• Excellent 2

stevasaurus

You either want to jack up the horse or drive on roads.  With an old transmission, the diesel may start leaking through dried up seals.  You don't want stripes in your yard..  If you jack it up...make sure it is kind of level and put a pan under it.0

• Excellent 2

stevasaurus

Are you looking to open this trans??  After running it...drain it and see what comes out.  You may want to do it again, but in the long run, the only way to clean it out and know it is clean is to open it.  Use Section II in this manual to go from start to finish. 

Use this thread with videos to rebuild and put it back together. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

RickyMayhew

trans still stuck getting annoyed might just trade or sell 

AMC RULES

:teasing-poke:Patience grasshopper...

don't be hasty, just give it time. 

Did you jack it up, take the weight off the rear wheels as suggested above? 

WHNJ701

it's all part of the fun of it!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

go ahead and open it up.  You may have to do some electrolysis to free things up and get them working again.

Elliot Garfinkel

Hey guys I'm in the process  of draining  filled with diesel  and like you said it's comming out of axle seals eventually  when I refill with 90w will that leaking continue or it's just because the diesel is so thin.also clutch belt seems to be better. Thanks

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Needs new seals buddy.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@RickyMayhew  how you doing with that trans...hope you did not give up.  :orcs-cheers:

@Elliot Garfinkel & @RickyMayhew  what does the stuff coming out look like.  While I am a fan of flushing a trans, I am more of a fan of opening it up...it is the only way to know what you have.  To me...flushing just makes it a cleaner job...and that is worth it in itself.  Figure at least new seals...they are cheap...I would still open it up.

• Like 1

Elliot Garfinkel

Fluid was pretty muddy I also had diesel  coming from the bottom seam is their a gasket between  the halves I ordered the seals I probably will open it up but I wanted to run it through  all the gears  just to see what I got.as always thanks for the quick comebacks I try to go through the posts before I ask but I get side tracked and dont get the info I was looking to get for that question

stevasaurus

The gasket is #3912 from TORO for about $6.  You can run it through all the gears by hand if you take the belt off.  If you bought all the seals...open it up...it is a piece of cake and piece of mind.  The manual and videos are in an above post.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes:  Find 'em on Ebay too. 

Elliot Garfinkel

OkFluid was pretty muddy I also had diesel  coming from the bottom seam is their a gasket between  the halves I ordered the seals I probably will open it up but I wanted to run it through  all the gears  just to see what I got.as always thanks for the quick comebacks I try to go through the posts before I ask but I get side tracked and dont get the info I was looking to get for that question

• Excellent 1

Elliot Garfinkel

Ok thanks this is the start once I see what I got and need I will disassemble and really get into it

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib
On 8/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, 857 horse said:

IF SHE RUNS.????    DRIVE HER AROUND THE YARD 20 MINUTES,,,,TRY SHARING TIME IN ALL GEARS.....JACK UP THE FRONT... LOOSEN THE DRAIN PLUG UNDER THE TRANSMISSION...IF YOU DONT JACK IT UP....IT TRAPS SOME FLUID IN THE TRANS,,,,,,LET IT ALL DRAIN IN A PAN,,,,75W90,,,,2 PINTS,,,,,RIDE FOR THE WEEKEND////// I WOULD REPEAT THE PROCESS...TO REMOVE ALL THE DIESEL......

OH,,,,,IF YOU DONT HAVE,,,OR HAVE A DAMAGED OLD SHIFTER BOOT,,,,,,BUY ONE,,,,

WHILE YOU AT IT.....CHECK THE 2 SET SCREWS THAT HOLD THE 2 HUBS ON......THIS IS A HEADACHE YOU WILL BE THANKFUL YOU DID,,,,

:text-yeahthat:couldnt have said it better myself!!

• Haha 1

Elliot Garfinkel

Well the new issue is it will run with clutch engaged  as soon as I let up it stalls out.ive been running with shifter out I'm starting to think that wasnt to smart I'll enclose a picture not sure if you can make it out.im no rabbi but it dont look kosher thanks20190911_134102.jpg.6c43331a3343cd5b9bc432f966a5e26b.jpg

Elliot Garfinkel

Disregard  that last panic post I had to align I guess you call the forks not sure but got the shifter back in and it doesn't stall when clutch released is the ball on the shifter within specs. Thanks for listening 

20190911_152228.jpg

stevasaurus

Excellent...you did the right thing...alien the forks and put the shifter back in.  Can you shift it now??

Elliot Garfinkel

Hey all sorry for slow reply well I'm in it now opened the 5025 I dont think it looks to bad hopefully will enclose pics on the shaft their appears to be what I call flaking but I guess age and lack of maintenance. On a side note the pully #1611 shows it takes 2 1303 is their a bearing in their also. Thanks

20190928_141430.jpg

20190928_141519.jpg

20190928_141604.jpg

20190928_141430.jpg

20190928_141449.jpg

Elliot Garfinkel

After removing 1533 bearing and cleaning up in their it looks like bearing was not seating properly. The seat is worn how much problem  is this. Thanks

20190928_153344.jpg

20190928_153501.jpg

clueless
On 8/31/2019 at 11:52 AM, RickyMayhew said:

Okay let transmission set for 7 days with Diesel Fuel and Marvel Mystery Oil and oil. What next?

Really not much information, did it work before?

Elliot Garfinkel

I really cant say since  I got it it's been on blocks working on getting it running took for short ride with diesel  in rear to run it through the gears but it was hard to tell where the leaks were coming  from I know it was coming from the case seam and from motor and from axel seal but it seems  the wheel turned freely without noise. I haven't got to the other side yet. I hope this is a little more info  thanks