stevasaurus

Recipes

Pullstart

This morning we’re having venison steak and farm fresh eggs.  I saved small 4” long sections of backstraps from Friday’s deer harvest from becoming burger.  Production from the 16 birds is beginning to slow for the molt season, so we’re down to about 3 dozen in stock!  

Just a little oil in the little number 3 skillet (6”?) and medium heat cooked the steak to probably medium-medium rare.  I then popped two eggs in and put some black pepper on them.  We have a flat Wagner - O - or 1108 A I’m not sure... but it works great to cover from oil splatter everywhere.  One problem with today’s recipe, Rylee was sitting next to me!  

C1A38911-0D04-458F-AAA7-05A5EBDC91C2.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, pullstart said:

Rylee

You tell her to make her own breakfast!!

:ychain:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

You tell her to make her own breakfast!!

:ychain:

She had breakfast before I sat down!

• Like 1

Pullstart

@Ed Kennell do you have any venison breakfast sausage recipes?  I found one that requires a pork loin roast (got that) and Morton’s Tender Quick (can’t find any locally).

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

@Ed Kennell do you have any venison breakfast sausage recipes?  I found one that requires a pork loin roast (got that) and Morton’s Tender Quick (can’t find any locally).

Sorry Kevin, I butcher my own deer, but I have a local butcher shop that makes my sweet and pepper bologna.  He also cures a ham for chipped beef gravy....which is what we had for dinner tonight.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

No worries, if we get that far I’ll let you know how it comes out!  Right now, heading to get another kitchenaid from my aunt... ours dropped a worm gear!  4 spare gears on the way too!

Ed Kennell

That recipe sounds easy enough to make....let us know.           Does the Ktchenaid grinder work OK.?     I have a grinder attachment for mine but never tried to grind raw meat.

Pullstart

It works great, but I have a feeling my helper pushed the meat through a bit hard.  We let the tool work and it does pretty alright.  A cleanout even so often, it doesn’t like all that shiny thick tendons.  

• Like 1

Pullstart

We used the recipe above, but modified a bit.  I’ll let you know how it tastes in a day or two!  

5 qts ground venison

2 qts ground pork loin roast

4 tablespoons sea salt

1 tablespoon ground white pepper

2 tablespoons rubbed sage

1-1/2 teaspoons thyme

1 teaspoon crushed red pepper

1/2 teaspoon red bell pepper breakfast seasoning

1 pint ice water

meat was ground and chilled overnight

dry spices were shaken together, then ice water added and stirred

meat well mixed with the kitchenaid, then ice watered season mixed in

now to sit for 1 day in the fridge per instructions..  we’ll vacuum pack and freeze what we don’t consume in the morning!

5CF6F04C-7C16-428C-8DFB-DD3928A7F090.jpeg

We started packaging the sausage sage this morning and I forgot to sample some!  I plopped a spoonful onto the skillet and fried it up.... just after a backstrap steak for Rylee.

DE-LISH!

4D39F5C2-1033-4F13-8EE5-64BA0658BF3A.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Update - sausage success!
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Brother in law got his first buck this year!!! Best part? He lives in California and left the vast majority of it in our freezer to enjoy!!!

Not a recipe per se... but...Cooked up back strap with an olive oil / pepper rub, venison steaks with an olive oil / Costco mixed spice rub, and one with an olive oil / bbq rub...all excellent on the grill!!! All medium and quite tasty!

Daughter also made sloppy joes out of ground venison...delicious!!!

Sorry, no pics...:hide:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

I did a little something different with the venison steaks last night.  I have heard of pan searing stakes to lock the flavor in.  Well, I pan seared the burgers, one stuffed with buffalo chicken dip, and baked them at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  Ohhhh so good!

A7FCA042-965C-4697-B96E-CF6C0195A585.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

Today I attempted my first chicken fried venison steak.  

I started with a loin chop.  I did a dry rub with bbq seasoning, black pepper, red bell pepper seasoning and the perfect steak rub.  Dipped in an egg, I covered both sides with flour and popped it in a hot pan of oil.  I cooked it to rare and removed it from the pan.  I sprinkled more flour and some milk in the pan and kept stirring with a fork until it was thick.  I probably should have added more milk and black pepper and kept stirring but it was thick and hot so I removed it and scraped it on top of my steak.

Despite the look, it was awesome!

F8AC5FE4-ADEF-408D-B7A4-AC1727BF11A8.jpeg

• Like 3

bottjernat1

I have some elk burger I dont know what to do with. A friend gave it to me. Never had elk. Any Ideas??

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I generally don't use my ground wild game meat for hamburgers unless some pork fat is added to facilitate the frying.

I do use a lot by browning it  in a pan with some olive oil, then use it in spaghetti , lasagna and in stir fry and meat loaf dishes.

Also one of my favorite summer time baked  garden casseroles  is  layers of squash, tomato,  cheese, onion, and browned burger.

• Like 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, bottjernat1 said:

I have some elk burger I dont know what to do with. A friend gave it to me. Never had elk. Any Ideas??

You can always add some ground pork to make burgers.  We like to add some Worcestershire sauce to the meat when mixing, along with any pepper or seasoning you like.  

When grilling most meats other than bird, I was taught to only flip it once.  Grill it, spin it for some cool marks, flip, repeat.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Steve's Original Pickled Northern:

Ingredients...

a. 1 Northern Pike, about 30" filleted and skinned, cut into 1"strips.  (don't worry about "y" bones- they dissolve with the vinegar.)

b. Canning salt...about 1 cup

c. 2 cps White Vinegar

d. 1 onion, sliced  I like either red or white

e. 2 tbs all spice corns

f. 2 tbs black pepper corns

g. 2 bay leaves

h. 2 or 3 cloves of garlic (optional)

Put the fish strips into a Tupperware bowl (stainless is OK, but not aluminum) and add the salt.  Hand mix to cover the fish with the salt.  Put into the fridge over-night.  The next day, give the fish a light rinse with cold water.  Drain the water and add the white vinegar (enough to cover the fish).  Refrigerate over-night.  The next day, add the remaining ingredients and let set at least 3 days.

• Like 4

The Tuul Crib

Sounds good steve but we dont have 

northern pike here! :confusion-confused: lol! Im 

Assuming that this will work on about any large fish correct? Been thinking about getting some salmon at the Kroger here and try that.

stevasaurus

@The Tool Crib  The pickled fish recipe is really best with Northern Pike.  The vinegar dissolves the "Y" bones, so there is no waste.  I have tried this with Blue Gills, but the texture was different.  You really need a white, flaky, lean fish.  Salmon is too fatty for this recipe...the pickled salmon recipes that I have seen have had things like pinapple & brown sugar in them.  I think this recipe would be good with a fish like Cod, Flounder or Tolopia...maybe Ocean Perch.  :orcs-cheers:

As a rule...smoke the fatty fish...pickle the lean fish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

Had one of my favorites.     Venison backstrap on the BBQ.

Fire the grill to the max.

102_1486.JPG.a3d43d62563aca154f58276dd3c7bf84.JPG

Rub on seasoning of choice....I use Lawry's seasoned salt.

102_1485.JPG.60556fd139c117e6cdc133bac5b29e6e.JPG

Toss em on for 5 minutes /side.102_1487.JPG.ae169d495b7f71a7101f00cf66c862e7.JPG

I then cut them into 1" thick medallions and sear the sides...about a minute on each side.

102_1488.JPG.0620fd1c0552a04ed15d0d767b0c4deb.JPG

Almost forgot ...I use one shot of Shine every time I turn the steak..   4-5 shots really makes anything taste good.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

I pulled an entire side pig rib out the other day.  I decided to use this recipe as a guideline.  I used about 2/3 cup brown sugar and 1/3 cup white sugar.  Maybe a tad more cayenne pepper?

Ribs are on the grill for about 5 hours.  Low and slow, baby!

F3994BF6-6A0A-4E65-B2F1-A32C18019579.jpeg

3FB46194-81DF-4AE0-AFE4-08EF66DCD42A.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Small fails, big gains.

After 2 hours on the grill, we ran out of propane.  I brought my spare full tank to the maple syrup property so we can finish syrup over an LP burner.  In to the oven they went!

I am 18 minutes from needing BBQ sauce... and the now the BBQ tank is on empty!  They are smelling great and we will prevail!  We have Caribbean Jerk sauce, plenty of hot sauce...   what to do what to do...

CCF03E3A-BC77-4356-8D4F-E21A53948CA0.jpeg

514EA1E1-6DDD-43DF-9E6F-9F22A384E0FE.jpeg

1DA2939E-0854-4AB8-9363-44FE1DDB0C3B.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
Pictures
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Whaaatt…...no maple sugar???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

No maple anything @Ed Kennell, but it was a success!  They were fall off the bone amazing.  I finished with a high broil for about 10 minutes and let them rest while we finished mashed taters and corn.

C0D05E65-2169-42E9-9158-74158E875E63.jpeg

F4F22125-4872-4123-A9B0-959D6B167BB7.jpeg

DC7E0BE9-B5A5-45D1-9C08-0890D6B28732.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2