stevasaurus

Recipes

Pullstart

I’m a FIRM believer in the salt water bath!  WOW!  It came apart like a small deer, in a way.  The tenderloins and the back straps were absolutely amazing, but the legs even were tasty and moist.  I’ll be using this simple method more often!

• Like 1

Pullstart

I searched for “venison chili” and didn’t find anything.  So, here we are today.

Last night, I soaked a 1lb bag of dry light red kidney beans.  This morning, I drained, rinsed them and returned them to the slow cooker.

Today, I took a package of Missouri doe (mixed with some ground pork butt) and browned it with my choice of wild game seasoning, coriander and black pepper, and added it on the beans.  My guess is that it’s 2-3 lbs.  I browned it in olive oil and there wasn’t but 1/4 cup or less, so I did not drain it.

With the skillet hot, I added more olive oil and a thick diced onion to the pan and sautéed the onion with some sea salt, black pepper and www.gun powder.net .50Cal Hot! Seasoning, then added the onion to the cooker.

Next came two cans of diced chili style tomatoes.  I don’t like chunky maters.  I chose to use a little hand held do-hickey to purée them a bit.  Dumped ‘em in and added a little fund raiser bag of taco seasoning.  Ingredients on the bag :handgestures-thumbupright:

Hopefully it thickens up some, but last I dumped a 32oz container of chicken broth and put the cooker on high.  A little mix with the stirrin’ stick and it’ll simmer all day.

74511777-F1AD-4425-80BD-3078DDE00710.jpeg

1F86465A-0DB5-4F2C-B8E2-C8061A4FEA9C.jpeg

77887B23-CF0B-437F-B529-DC352BC098C6.jpeg

A7B00143-11E5-45DD-8129-C33831220012.jpeg

A842BFAA-7935-420E-916E-92A2D5CCF46F.jpeg

6430F614-BA32-48D3-82BF-9EA928181356.jpeg

DE278D5A-83E1-4892-93E3-9E0ABDB71163.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Achto

Sounds great!!:thumbs2:

I see you used seasoning instead of hot peppers in the mix. If you decide to try hot peppers on your next batch here's a trick I learned. If you put the peppers in with the meat when you're browning it, the heat from the peppers will show up on the back side. If you throw raw peppers in to cook with the complete mix the heat from the peppers will be on the front.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Pullstart

It turned out great!  We splurged a little for a round of Panera bread bowls and oh so good!

E7323CEC-0D42-4E6C-BAB0-86B4BC3DE08E.jpeg

C3B7C98D-A4D9-4F55-A6C1-54A6F02FB611.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, Pullstart said:

.  I chose to use a little hand held do-hickey to purée them a bit.  

Put hand held do-dickey down and slowly step away. It's got no business around chili IMHO. 

Never mind I see you did that just to the 'maters... I don't like fungus says Kev. But is wife says he is not a picky eater... BS! Except for the not right part. 

I go the other way when we have our chili dumps. Someone, I think it's Dan's SIL, puts whole stewed little roma 'maters in theirs and I hunt them down in the big ole nesco with a passion. 

Other wise it looks good 👍

No beans Kev? 

Nevermind... 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Pullstart
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

No beans Kev? 

yeah kidneys.  

WHX??

Yup I see that now. Lots of pro Chili comps prohibit beans which I think is totally stupid. It's a South West dish and beans were a staple there. :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Did one a little different today.  Shot myself some lunch and cooked it up on video.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Nice Pullhose... I would have deglazed the pan with a wine or red vinegar then the whole shebang would have gone in a crock pot with some veggies and a whole lot of simmer. Hassenfeft would be fall off the bone... squirrel too. 

If you are watching carbs ... carburetors i tease Cinnnndayy...you need to eat more fatty stuff tho. Something that is not in wild game not that wild is not heart health... its a keto thing. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

Pullstart

Not sure if I’ve shared my veggie burger before.  I prefer bacon and venison, but bacon and beef, or bacon and pork, or bacon and chicken might work too.

I sauté an onion, then in a bowl add relish, garlic, washyersister sauce, mayo, ground meat, and preferred level of pepper, salt, and any kick you prefer (cayenne, etc).  Mix everything well, then make your burger balls and wrap some bacon around them.  I use two pieces per meat ball.  You can top with more rub, then add to the grille or smoker.  I run high temp and toss ‘em on for 12-14 minutes, then flip them for about 8-10 minutes and bring the temp down to 300 to finish.  

A14A3B62-BD12-45FC-8AE3-7B4D5AF73F91.jpeg

Pullstart

Has anyone ever heard of soaking a steak in pickle juice?  I tried it on a chuck roast, and made a pork butt too.  I can’t say the juice did any miracles to the cow, but maybe it’s just me.

c-series don

@PullstartI’ve never soaked a steak in pickle juice before but I have soaked vodka in olive juice. Oh wait that’s a martini! Soaking a steak in pickle juice sounds like something I might do after too many martini’s and not having anything else to marinate it with! Don’t get me wrong, if you cooked it I’d try it!

• Haha 3

Bill D
On 1/12/2023 at 7:34 PM, Pullstart said:

It turned out great!  We splurged a little for a round of Panera bread bowls and oh so good!

E7323CEC-0D42-4E6C-BAB0-86B4BC3DE08E.jpeg

C3B7C98D-A4D9-4F55-A6C1-54A6F02FB611.jpeg

That looks like a loaf of my wife's homemade Guinness beer bread!  Very nice!

• Excellent 1

Achto

Grilled some salmon tonight.

Topped with ranch dressing, feta cheese, tomatoes, onions, and hey we're grilling so.... bacon. Very yummy!!

IMG_20230304_193721547.jpg.5bcf4bc809c4419799f78c68c99d6c90.jpg

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Firing up the smoker today!  I’m gonna name these the Hawaiian Lasso and the Ft. Worth Hog Tie!

Trying my best to make these Smithfield pork loins not taste like a hot dog…

08728554-5900-431C-A16E-463B6ADE41D5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

So what's in them? 

SylvanLakeWH
11 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

So what's in them? 

Hhhmmm... sure you want the answer???

Recent post by @Pullstart...

:scared-eek:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
46 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

So what's in them? 

Ropes and wranglers.

Ed Kennell

Breakfast this AM

1 medium spud 90 seconds in the MW then sliced 1/8" thick and tossed in a hot skillet of butter.

1 small onion sliced and added to the skillet

3 slices of venison scrapple   added to the skillet     Grind in a liberal amount of pepper medley and a little sea salt

Toss and turn several times till everything is brown.    15 minutes.

throw in a couple jumbo brown eggs and add more pepper, put the lid on and toast the bagel    5 minutes

104_1672.JPG.0c0750eb8194019f47950c11d0a465c1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

@WHX??  Here you go.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I realize the image is not too appealing, but last night I created quite the fish dish.  We have done bbq sauce and mandarin oranges in salmon foil packets before, so I based this off of that. We had 5 tilapia fillets to cook.  I took a 9x13 baking dish and tossed some avocado oil in the bottom.  I drained a can of pears and tossed the pears in.  On top of that went the tilapia, with some black pepper and bbq rub seasoning.  I added some regular Sweet Baby Ray’s sauce on that.  Next, I cut up a large onion and tossed a few pieces on the fish, the rest I sautéed in a pan with more avocado oil, black pepper and some salt.  I dumped the onions and oil over the dish and topped with some Honey BBQ Sweet Baby Ray’s.  It went in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

If I do it over, I’d bake all the fixins and fry the fish in some hot oil for some crisp, then top the fish with the extras.

It was quite amazing.  The onions, pears and bbq went very well together, in my mind.

2E17D15A-E5FB-43F1-A6A0-E2192E2DD2ED.jpeg

Pullstart

@ebinmaine I ‘xpect your chicken recipe now that you know about this thread!  Thanks again to you, BBT and Mama for whoopin’ on me tonight!

• Heart 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

@ebinmaine I ‘xpect your chicken recipe now that you know about this thread!  Thanks again to you, BBT and Mama for whoopin’ on me tonight!

10-4 brother man.   

Big Ole chicken breastseseses.  

Split breast. 

The seasoning is just plain Mystique.  

IMG_20230421_181410_HDR.jpg

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

We were at the local bulk food store a few weeks back and I found this Trade East stuff.  I needed to do some pork butt and thought it looked like it would be quantity enough.  WOW.  Coming out of the container, I am tempted to dump it right down the hatch!  Whatever turbinado sugar is, it smells amazing with the rest of the stuff.  Real big granules and yummy result!

I have 30 lbs of pork butt in the fridge getting all happy for tomorrow’s smoke shop.  

As a bonus, I’m going to mix this Rib Back pork rub with some warm lard and olive oil and inject the meat before setting it to rest on the smoker.

YUM!

A5A4928F-BD5E-46A3-81E3-4E6B70A9B920.jpeg

7E75F446-9302-4EBE-962F-2B79D918E76B.jpeg

FD033BC3-38E2-4035-95C1-A4E837BCC3A3.jpeg

D07CA6E9-6C32-4ECE-B465-C100916D73EE.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

On of my faves this AM.

OE eggs, fried scrapple, fried spuds and onions, coffee, and a whole wheat bagel.

66641174_104_1915-Copy.JPG.b2eb51190004d153485c0426c39bfc41.JPG

• Excellent 2