stevasaurus

Recipes

Pullstart

I just checked the forecast, there’s gonna be a stuffed onion bomb front coming through West MI tonight!

I found some massive onions at the store and knew it was time for some quality onion bombs.  I used a pineapple corer to start out, then finished with the knife and a fork to dig a good sized hole.

DD5B4C42-4527-43A3-B33C-D65F28D036B4.jpeg.69eba8e2ca14c3de510aad140e39a09a.jpeg

this is two pounds of burger.  I added some washyersister sauce, Salt Like Original Rub, minced garlic and also some relish.  Those amounts were by feel.  I could have added some mayo, but there’s a sensitivity to that in the house, so I refrained. 

0E71A8CC-E558-4112-8E2B-A5D7D7FF1E82.jpeg.9602b9ae360a38084b46672949860c84.jpeg

cheese cubes, peppers, shrooms as requested… then meat stuffed.  The 2 lbs was just enough for the 6 big onions.

A75091AA-44F3-48C5-8FF1-1D06BF7E5B10.jpeg.1b2411f8b454d852d699df4c99f8170c.jpeg

a little more rub… 

302A2054-6143-4E17-9EDA-9476CB956F3C.jpeg.0dc6397b6fc8fa685e60ff655b733cb7.jpeg

then two big pieces of bacon wrapped and poked.

AF87A90B-A8F0-4EA3-A629-2F1CB6C1A984.jpeg.6ed0abb7d2947657e07e84e1d81be5b4.jpeg

I’m going to smoke them for about 3 hours at 225 and check for internal temp of 155-160, then glaze them with some bbq sauce.  We have a bunch of Sweet Baby Ray’s, otherwise I’d make some sauce quick on the stove myself.  I’ll finish the sauce for about 40 minutes or so.

I never got a completely finished picture.  This was close.

*the peppers and mushrooms on top for identification didn’t really work.  They smoked down pretty far, then the bbq sauce smothered them.*

2A43A260-B10B-40DE-BD32-78AB89585687.jpeg.d05557d1d4ac0d4fa5987f8ba1462ab2.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
More pictures, recipe
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Here’s another fun one.  I took a mesquite marinaded pork loin that was in a 5 for $10 sale and sliced it open, about 1/2” thick, unrolling it into a flat chunk of meat.  I then rubbed the inside, added homemade applesauce, 1/4 onion sliced, and 4 or so cloves of garlic, chopped up.  I rolled it back up, and used cotton chalk line string (new and unused that is!) to tie it back together.  It has been smoking for 4 hours at 180 to an internal temp of 135, now I cranked it up to 350 for the last 30 minutes or so to get 145 internal temp.  I have a feeling this’ll eat real good!

Yes, I said chalk line.  I needed to go to the hardware store and they have an extensive grilling/cooking section.  The guy helping me look for the cooking twine found the empty area on the shelf and told me his father was a butcher and this was all he ever used.

0692D706-CA89-485D-99D5-9C3B03F70C7D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

WHX??

Mason line works too. Just make sure it's new and not something you were using out at the chicken coop... :lol:

2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

found the empty area on the shelf 

Story of my life lately... :angry-cussing:

OK back up here Kev just read the onion thing... sounds really good. I woulda left out the relish but added more fungus... yah I know you don't like them. The mushroom on top musta not being one of yours but my girls... :lol:

What did you do with the onion innards... chop them up and put them with the burger? 

Edited by WHX??

Pullstart
12 hours ago, WHX?? said:

What did you do with the onion innards... chop them up and put them with the burger? 

Edited 1 hour ago by WHX??

I cutem’ out and putem’ in the freezer.  Use for another day.  Jada’s after school snack lately is onions, relish and ketchup all mixed up.  We go through the onions.  I promise :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Pullstart
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Tonight, we feast!  

Two chuck roasts, they’ll be going on the smoker about 9 am… then a little over 9 lbs of chicken wings later.  One roast is in the famous coffee rub, the other is in Billy Bones Orignial.

Half the chicken is also in Billy Bones, the other half in a mystery rub I found in the cupboard in a ziplock bag.  

Overall, we’re looking at about 15 lbs of meat.

127AEE5F-9BD2-4842-B256-0387D178B4F0.jpeg

A1567CBC-894A-49E7-8ADC-B6DFC171E80D.jpeg

97DDBE37-1C6F-4B8A-8CA7-42DEFAC11142.jpeg

• Like 2

c-series don

Here’s a tomato pie recipe that my wife makes. At first I thought tomato pie sounds gross but it’s delicious. 

C89471A8-6E28-402F-B8E1-101D6460D12C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
5 hours ago, c-series don said:

tomato pie

I might even try that with some of the greenies that are left over!  Always looking for ways to use them, getting tired of frying them...

We used to have a local pizza house that made what they called a "Tomato Pie".

It was a pizza made with very little sauce, but plenty of fresh sliced tomatoes in lieu of the sauce, onions, and shrooms.  It was DELICIOUS!  Especially when washed down with a flagon of brew (or several!)!

• Like 2

Pullstart

Anyone ever cook with alcohol?  I know @Achto doesn’t cook without it, but does it ever get used on the food?

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175

image.png.c98ec13b441e419705a9347f0ed0721b.png

• Haha 2

Jeff-C175
29 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

cook with alcohol?

Kinda looks like a whisk of wastey to me...

And now that I witched the vadeo, they grend to atee.

Edited by Jeff-C175

Pullstart

This guy… makes me hungry!

• Excellent 1

Achto
3 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Anyone ever cook with alcohol?

I like a good whiskey, brown sugar, & Worcestershire marinated steak from time to time.  

Pullstart

How do you like your steak?  Medium Rye or Bourbon Done?

Note.  This stuff is well dusted, but I bet no amount of dry aging will help this stuff!

9B5720D4-9DD0-46A2-9843-5D1B92BFEEB6.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

Jeff-C175
5 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

no amount of dry aging will help this stuff!

I've read that it's pretty rough stuff but I'd probably drink it anyway, at least until I went blind...

• Haha 1

Pullstart

This is something I’m not sure how often I’ll ever be able to post.  Ronnie Adams from Swamp people is here hunting in MO with us.  Since I tagged out, I’m the cook today!  He brought a 7’ gator.  Teeth to tail!  We injected two bottles of Tony Chachere Garlic and Herb injection sauce into the legs, body, and tail.  We then tossed it on the Traeger and covered it with 5 lbs of bacon!  It’s supposed to run about 225 for 6 hours.  It’s super windy and cold, so we bumped the machine up to 255.  I’ll check it after 4.5 hours but have no temp gauge.  It needs to be fork tender to be done.

This is a trip I doubt I’ll forget soon!

AD49C35C-79C7-4A49-A510-5CA91F598827.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Ed Kennell
47 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

covered it with 5 lbs of bacon!

He looks all cozy there.   Napping in his piggy blanket.  :sleeping-sleeping:

• Haha 3

Pullstart

Maybe @Achto or @WHX?? have some smokin’ tips for my little 6’5” swamp buddy :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Achto
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Maybe @Achto or @WHX?? have some smokin’ tips for my little 6’5” swamp buddy :lol:

Never cooked gator before, only tip I can give is "Drink lots while you are waiting" :lol:

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

"Drink lots while you are waiting"

Because of the salty bacon Dan,  or did you have another reason?  :confusion-seeingstars:

• Haha 3

Achto
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

Because of the salty bacon Dan,  or did you have another reason?

Any excuse for a drink is good enough for me.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Food’s done!

Oh. Yeah.  Good stuff.

EBD39778-5180-4F5C-A94E-75276CC17457.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart
15 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

He looks all cozy there.   Napping in his piggy blanket.  :sleeping-sleeping:

Jada called it a nice alligatorpig!

WHX??
On 11/20/2022 at 5:28 PM, Achto said:

Never cooked gator before, only tip I can give is "Drink lots while you are waiting" :lol:

:text-yeahthat:allipiggy looks awful thirsty! :lol:

• Haha 2

WHX??

Not to try and out do you Kev but Cindaaaayy took a chuck and put in in a crock with I think just some campells French onion soup. For grins she threw in the tenders from her deer and man ooh man. Spoon tender & melt in the mouth. Killer spooned over mashed taters. 

We were at home I woulda put things on the smoker for a few hrs then the crock. Smoke ring ya understand. 

20221122_211828.jpg

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Nabbed a wascally wabbit on Thanksgiving.  I cleaned him up and soaked him in salt water from Thursday to Tuesday.  Today, I cleaned a little more off him and dry rubbed him with Blackening Rub.  I’ll set the smoker to 225 and flip him in an hour and a half.  I’ve never done a salt water soak, except for the turkey.  It’s supposed to pull the gamey taste out?  Maybe it tenderized it a bit too.

2A2A33E6-0582-4753-9D2F-39E1A762ED0D.jpeg

I flipped it at 1.5 hours, then went another 45 minutes.  It is resting, but feels tender and good!

D43E25E6-B895-4FE1-8579-EA61B0EA1344.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2