ktowndave

Mowing problem

ktowndave

Having a problem with mowing. For some unknown reason, my deck isn't cutting right. My cutting path is leaving grass up the center. I have brand new blades on it, actually I bought the deck recently and haven't looked to see if the middle blade was put on upside down. Guess I'll have to check it out after while. Would there be another reason for this? It is a side discharge deck, not rear.

IMG_20190817_123705.jpg

953 nut
54 minutes ago, ktowndave said:

middle blade was put on upside down.

I can assure you that an upside down blade will not cut well, actually in my case it was all three!       :hide:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

moe1965

I say it's up side down.  

Pullstart

If not, is the grass usually that long when you cut?  My RD decks have always had a windrow characteristic... maybe the longer grass excentuates the windrow effect? 

• Like 1

Razorback
20 minutes ago, pullstart said:

If not, is the grass usually that long when you cut?  My RD decks have always had a windrow characteristic... maybe the longer grass excentuates the windrow effect? 

I would sure think so.... 

Rob R

If the drive belt is NOT on correctly the blades can rotate backwards ..… worth chking...… if the blades are installed correctly......

• Like 1

peter lena

agree with the others on the blade issue, and the possible pto drive speed issue, are you cutting at highest setting?  your discharge should be smooth and not leave row build up, is the underside , clean scrapped ?  pete

pacer
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

My RD decks have always had a windrow characteristic.

The pic DOES indeed look like a RD's discharge..... hmmmmm! But, shur nuff could be blade backwards....

ktowndave

Well, the blades are on correct, the deck was low so I'm assuming the deck was to low and the grass was to high.

• Like 1

ktowndave

I was high rpm and slow speed. The grass in that area is like cotton candy and the ground stays soggy. I believe my problem could also be that the blades of grass are so full of water that they don't exit the shoot quick enough. The deck is clean underneath and the shoot isn't clogging up.

Pullstart

Maybe try to rake the cut grass away, then see how it looks?  A yard sweeper works great behind an RD!

• Like 1

Lee1977

Check to see if the double pulley is tight.  If it is slipping the center blade won't cut.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Even if your Blades are new, are the blades really sharp?

i purchased this year also new Blades for my Deck, but they not really Sharp, for my opinion.

So i decide, to grinding them with Flex and sandpaper disc, to resharpen them carefully.

After fresh sharpened (and i mean really sharp, like a knive) i also be able to cut high grass even my deck was a 

Mulcher Deck, but i just can cut with low speed forward and high rpm on the deck.

If i drive to fast, the Engine pulls strong on Power, what can be heared.

Even the cut is nearly accurate, my experiences was as sharp the Blades, as cleaner the Cut.

Last week i forgot to resharpen my Blades, the result was also a windowing cut.

Another issue can be anybody has changed the mid Spindle with a shorter one.

I see such issue at a Fella‘s mower with same result.

ktowndave

I do use a lawn sweeper if the grass clumps up and makes the yard look horrible. I keep the belts tight enough that they don't flop around to much. 

I didn't sharpen the blades as they are brand new. I do notice that the middle blade is almost a 1/4" lower than the 2 outside blades. 

Tractorhead

What means 1/4“ lower?

is it closer to the grass or closer into deck?

ktowndave

The grass

Tractorhead

Are the sharp part of the Blades in row ? Doesn‘t sound so.

if the doesn‘t allign, you have found the mower issue.

doc724

I hope your problem is as simple as a blade on upside down.  Another is the PTO is not adjusted tight enough.  If those are not it, read on....

There is a common problem with WH decks.  You did not say what size you have but 42 inch decks (because they have no stiffener plate on them) are very prone to this problem, more so with RD decks,  If you tighten the mower drive belt too much, over time, the front spindle assembly will tilt forward and to the right in the direction that the belt pulls.  Thus results in the front of the blade (when it is aligned north-south) being much lower than it should be and the back being much higher.  When it is in the east-west position, it will also be higher on one side and lower on the other side than the outer blades (when you set them tip to tip). 

The first thing to do is to measure the height of the blade.  Use gage blocks (a 2x3 cut into short sections each about 1/8 inch longer than the previous one).  you can align each blade north south and east west and slide a gauge block under each one (in your garage on a concrete floor or similar).  At some point one gage block will go under all blade tips (a go gage) and another will not fit (a no gage).

If you find that the blades are out of alignment, flip the deck and check for any broken welds.  If the center spindle is tipped, disassemble the deck and using bolts or threaded rods, stretch the tipped flange back into position.  Hammering it will not work (at least not with the precision that you want to get the flange into)

• Thanks 1