chiefsb30

Opinions on a C121

chiefsb30

I went and looked at a C121 today, like I mentioned in my intro, which we all seemed to agree is probably a good starting point for me.

I own .6 acres right now. I could (and have) hand mow it, but its much easier to drink a beer and ride a mower. I have a lot of driveway, which in places is 3 cars wide and I would venture you could very easily park 4 cars deep. I would like to snow blow it.

The tractor I looked at, near as I can tell from here and tractordata is a 1979 model (91-12K801.) The tractor itself seems to be solid, no odd noises in either the motor (very quiet actually) or the deck when its engaged. No smoke on startup. I took a quick peak at the trans oil and it was clean, with no signs of milk. Appearance I would place it at probably an 8, no significant rust, no real dents, probably in need of a complete paint and decals to make it look excellent. I mean not bad at all for 40 years old, but certainly not pristine. The single stage blower that would go with it was really nice actually, it had been powder coated and had been taken apart and put back together. 

The gentleman who has it wants 1300 dollars for the tractor, deck, some non WH wheel weights, spare tires, and a blower. I feel like its a little high based on my looking around, but I do think its pretty nice. I figured you guys might have a better insight on price, and maybe things to look out for.

00g0g_jmOv4E68TbK_1200x900.jpg

00r0r_8vNIk6hnxmX_1200x900.jpg

00303_ajoiijaXdrW_1200x900.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

Real nice looking and very well kept 

machine. Should get alot of service 

out of it!! I like your thinkin about having 

a beer with the seat time. Need to get a cup holder!! 

:ROTF:

• Like 2

Goofey

it's a 1000$ set in my opinion. 250 for the blower. 250 for the deck. and the tractor alone is not 800 for sure. JMHO

Edited by Goofey
  • Like 3

Stepney

A bit high but pretty fair for New England pricing. That is a recycler deck so it's fairly new. 

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, chiefsb30 said:

I feel like its a little high based on my looking around, but I do think its pretty nice.

If it runs and drives as well as it looks that may not be too bad a price. If you buy one that needs work and parts you could end up at that price anyway. Drive it around and see what you think of it. Wheel Horses are plentiful up your way so looking around a little shouldn't be a problem. The higher priced units tend to remain on the market for a while even if the price is justifiable.        :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

It is a great looking tractor, deck, and blower.   

I agree with @Goofey,  $1000 max.

I am not a fan of the rocker plate engine mount tractors.

IMO, 12HP is a bit underpowered to turn a blower.

I would not consider blowing or plowing snow without a hydro and hyd lift.

Sorry, but I gotta be honest.

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs: 

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

chiefsb30
8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

ISorry, but I gotta be honest.

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs: 

Ed, no offense taken, I asked for honest takes. I figured that the price was in that ballpark based on everything else I see. I may be able to strike a deal with the guy.

Worst case, like everyone here said, theres other Horses. We're near the end of summer, I don't need it this minute. Before winter would be nice though. 

Thanks for the thoughts team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Burnerman

I tried to use a 42” snowblower on my c101 8 spd. I agree with Ed^^, a hydro is best to blow snow. I sold the blower and just use the plow. 

That’s a nice looking tractor though! 

Edited by Burnerman

Herder

Go in swinging and beat him up on the price.  I would start at $700 and see what you can get if for.  Cash is KING.  It's a good looking tractor in the pics but it appears to have been repainted, the deck is missing a front roller.  Look it over real good before you buy it. 

• Like 3

Sparky

Nice looking machine! So that blower is the short chute style and is a $200 blower, the deck looks newer and nice and I would put it’s value at $300. Are those cast iron or plastic wheel weights? Plastic are $80, cast iron are $125-$175. Those 10.5 ag tires are worth $125, front tires look newer that a plus. Spare tires are probably turf tires, it would be nice to have both types so you could swap if needed. 

The price is right on the money in my opinion if you were to part it out so to speak. But as a package deal I think it’s more like a $1000-$1100.

Just my opinion of course.

• Like 6

peter lena

agree with herder that cash is king , after you try it out, hear it run , engage the deck. that blower refinish / rebuild looks sweet . a roll of money  can easily help out your day, keep us informed , pete 

• Like 1

857 horse

and then you come to a guy like me,,,,,,,

everyone agrees a little on the high side...….but...…..it appears to need nothing,,,,,,,

for the 300.00 more that is a cheap investment for the nothing part...…..

I would pay it,,and,,,,,when your serious and looking....nice comes with a price,,,,,and that's what we pay,,,,,

for needing nothing...…...

my point of view seems off to some,,,,,

we all want a bigger better faster cheaper,,,,,,,,,,,you just need to know ,,,,,when......

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Darb1964

I think it's a little high, but if it is as solid as it looks and runs good, I would offer 1000 that offer shouldn't offend him. If you can just jump on it and go that's worth something. I like a power lift snow blowing that blower is heavy, first time I used my c-125-8 to snow blow I got a bad case of tennis elbow.  The twelve worked good, I used my 418-8 last year it definitely worked better and has an electrical lift. I have over spent on one or two of my tractors but I have been lucky they have been trouble free. One breakdown can cost more than 300 and your time. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Skipper

Listen to the wise words that has been said:

• A blower on a tractor with manual lift is a heavy thing to handle. Not optimal ................
  • 12hp for a blower is to some OK, but to many others it is under powered.

If you are looking at tractors in that price range, are willing to pony up, and it's for blowing, I would take a look at something with hydro lift, and with a bigger twin engine. Heck for 1300ish you are in the ballpark for a nice C175, 417, 418, 518, 520 etc. And should it be a single pot you want, there really is just one for that job IMO, and that's the 16 horse. Remember a hydro unit is super comfy to have, but it also eats a bit of HP, so better have enough.

Just my :twocents-02cents: and yeah i know I'm :deadhorse: but really, there is such a thing as not really enough power. On the other hand, too much power really ain't an issue, now is it? again just my :twocents-02cents:

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

chiefsb30

Yeah, listening to you guys, I think for now I may continue the search. I may yet circle back to this one if its still there down the line. I suspect it will be, as the price isnt stellar, even if its nice. It is a nice tractor, and man that blower is top notch. But 12 seems to be the bare minimum for snow blowing, and the consistent opinion is that a hydrostatic may be a better bet for snow blowing.

Theres a '76 C160 Hydrostatic with a cart and blower an hour and change from me for 1200. I may take a ride up to see it at some point in the next few days. It isnt nearly as pretty, but if its mechanically sound, I can fix the not pretty part with a little paint and elbow grease. Or even buy the blower from the first guy. If I do actually go look at it, I'll make a similar post on it here. 

Thanks again guys. 

Edited by chiefsb30
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Congrats!

• Like 1

Stormin

:wwp::wwp::wwp:

• Like 1

Herder
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

:wwp::wwp::wwp:

I hear that. :wwp:

chiefsb30

20190824_190107.jpg

20190824_190114.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

rjg854

Nice score, you've got all the power you need now.  I also have a 16 Auto for snow blowing duties.  Works well!  Best of luck with it. :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

Darb1964

That's a beast, congrats

• Like 1

clueless

You got the right one from the right guy :thumbs:.

• Like 2

Matt Young

I have a C-121 and its a tank! It mows my 1.5 acres and hill side and ditches. I run a 42” rd and it does a great job. I lost it off a trailer last year (strap broke) and i put it back together and it still runs and mows great. 

D9E12F88-4155-4059-8907-A1BCCCBCA156.jpeg

• Like 2

chiefsb30
6 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Nice score, you've got all the power you need now.  I also have a 16 Auto for snow blowing duties.  Works well!  Best of luck with it. :text-coolphotos:

Yeah definetly. Skipper I think put it best when he said:

On 8/23/2019 at 3:58 AM, Skipper said:

....but really, there is such a thing as not really enough power. On the other hand, too much power really ain't an issue, now is it? again just my :twocents-02cents:

This basically. I'd rather have more than I need than too little, particularly if I plan to snow blow. 

Thanks everyone. Now I need to figure out how to make it fit in my front garage. I have a small 2 car garage where I want it to live, and a 1000 square foot work shop in the back yard. I think I'll probably rip the workbench out of the front garage. None of my tools live there, and I dont work in there ever, so it makes it harder to pull in sideways. 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1