chiefsb30

Interested in wheelhorses

ebinmaine

Hi Chris and welcome to Red Square!!

Oh boy did you ever come to the right place.

just to make a clarification here. If you're going to be using your future tractor for snow blowing or plowing you should make sure you get a garden tractor, not a lawn mower. Wheel Horse does make both.

We will be looking forward to seeing what you find and trying to answer your questions.

Mike'sHorseBarn

:WRS:       Nice to see another Pennsylvanian and not too far from me either. Let us know what you're looking at and we'd be happy to help!

peter lena

chiefsb30, chris ,welcome to the site , just the fact that you live in Pennsylvania should give you a very good chance to find the horse you want. amazing to me, how many  " new  " guys find  314 -8  tractors , for your grass and snow work , that would really get it done. i would favor  a  312  or 14  magnum power tractor if available with 8 speed . you could use that as a  start point and go from there , good luck with it , pete

chiefsb30
16 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

just to make a clarification here. If you're going to be using your future tractor for snow blowing or plowing you should make sure you get a garden tractor, not a lawn mower. Wheel Horse does make both.

Yeah, the one thats tops on my list right now is a C121, which I believe qualfies as a garden tractor, correct?

• Like 4

chiefsb30
14 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

:WRS:       Nice to see another Pennsylvanian and not too far from me either. Let us know what you're looking at and we'd be happy to help!

Hey Mike, for sure. Youre not too far from me. I'll let you guys know for sure. 

• Like 1

chiefsb30
3 minutes ago, peter lena said:

chiefsb30, chris ,welcome to the site , just the fact that you live in Pennsylvania should give you a very good chance to find the horse you want. amazing to me, how many  " new  " guys find  314 -8  tractors , for your grass and snow work , that would really get it done. i would favor  a  312  or 14  magnum power tractor if available with 8 speed . you could use that as a  start point and go from there , good luck with it , pete

Thanks for the welcome Pete. I like the older style from probably the 70s more, probabaly more out of nostalgia. My old man had a late 70s wheelhorse for probably 20 years.  But, I intend to use this site for some research here to figure out what is a good fit for sure.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, chiefsb30 said:

Yeah, the one thats tops on my list right now is a C121, which I believe qualfies as a garden tractor, correct?

Yes it absolutely does.

That of course would be a 12 horse.

If you were to look for something like a 1974 to 1981 C Series with a 12 or 16 horse you would be in good shape.

• Like 1

WHX??

Hello Chris and :WRS:

Sounds like the fellas got you pointed in the right direction as far as a working horse. Be careful as you might find you need more than 1 or 2 or 3 ....:)

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

midpack
1 hour ago, chiefsb30 said:

12hp is a great all around tractor. they can and do run a single stage snow thrower, and are good on gas as well. You can plow and mow with it

I like running the snowthrower on my KT17 better, but it's thirsty... :p

WHX??

I was going to suggest a 520H for a good all around mowing & blowing tractor for a larger property but we know how thirsty they are!

How mechanically challenged are you Chief?

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: Chris, and thank you for your service! :flags-usa:

Which Wheel Horse would be best for your needs?  The one that has :wh: on the hood!  I’ve accomplished quite a lot from my 6-8 hp machines, but agree you might want more if you’re running a power scavenging attachment like a snow blower or the like. 

Keep us updated on your findings!

Pullstart and the gang

3E885B7A-5FB0-4C73-8AC1-F3456F37C4AF.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Hi Chris,

you‘re definitely in best surrounding to find what you need.

All here are very helpful and friendly and guided you to the best Solution you‘ll need.

The knowledge here is fantastic for Wheel Horses and the Brand you tended to, was i.m.h.o the best decision.

The older machines has their own Charme, independent, if restored or with Patina.

They build for work, that‘s what they like and need.

A Wheelhorse is more like a simply Gardentractor, it becomes a friend and a Supporter.

• Like 1

Stormin

:WRS: from a C-121 owner in the :UK: Not to mention the C-81 and C-125. You'll not go wrong with a Wheel Horse, and you'll get plenty of help and advice here. :thumbs:

• Like 1

chiefsb30
5 hours ago, WHX24 said:

How mechanically challenged are you Chief?

I was a mechanic in the air force before I was an engineer, and I'm a car guy. I would say my skills and tools are above the average person. But by no means am I a master mechanic. 

• Like 3

chiefsb30

Thanks for all the welcomes, I just put up my first actual thread asking for thoughts on a C121. Who knows, maybe the guy who owns it is a member here. Thoughts are much appreciated.

Terry M

Welcome!!:wh:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

Considering the variety of winter storms you can encounter it would probably be wise to buy a couple :wh:, one with a blower and one with a snow plow.

1493357997_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.67ce09f9d83ce17e71b3ea95bd792db8.jpg

• Like 2

rjg854

:WRS:  Good luck with the hunt for your Wheel Horse. 

• Like 1

WHX??
17 hours ago, chiefsb30 said:

I was a mechanic in the air force before I was an engineer, and I'm a car guy. I would say my skills and tools are above the average person. But by no means am I a master mechanic. 

Sounds like you are all set then. The reason I ask is many of us here enjoy the wrenching part as much as the seat time! Also being that most of these tractors are well into their years they do need some wrenching on. The best part is you don't have to be ASME or SAE certified to work on them. :) 

Edited by WHX24

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

be ASME or SAE certified to work on them

I've been told I'm "certifiable".....

That helps.....

:lol:

• Haha 2

chiefsb30
Just now, WHX24 said:

Sounds like you are all set then. The reason I ask is many of us here enjoy the wrenching part as much as the seat time! Also being that most of these tractors are well into their years they do need some wrenching on. The best part is you don't have to ASME or SAE certified to work on them. :) 

Honestly, I own a house in North Carolina. Its got 1.3 acres, and back then I didn't really know much better so I bought a Troy Built, for probably more than I am going to pay for a Wheel Horse. I had to wrench on that thing, and it was brand new haha. I even ended up having to take it in for a recall.

Thankfully I would argue tractors, as a whole, are less complicated than cars, even the old cars. They're for sure less complicated than a jet.

• Like 3

WHX??
2 minutes ago, chiefsb30 said:

less complicated than a jet.

Lol ... reminds me of a favorite saying... we are not flying these tractors at 33,000 feet! I run out of gas...alot! My 10 acres it's not a long walk for the gas can!

• Haha 1