XLT

Any ideas on what I have here?

XLT

Guys, new to the garden tractor/ Wheelhorse world as of yesterday... I know this is likely mongrelized to a good degree, but any ideas as to what I have here?

Also, shifter is broken off flush, and I don't see the dogpoint screw.... 

20190820_084417.jpg

20190820_084427.jpg

20190820_084437.jpg

• Like 2

dclarke

Looks like parts of it are from a 1961 701, the rear fenders and brace, the left foot rest, pedal and the steering fan gear. 

• Like 3

The Tuul Crib

Nice !!:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

XLT

yes, didn't realize the serial #'s were that  well recorded. Thanks. 

953 nut

:WRS:

:text-coolphotos:                It appears to have started life as a 1964 model 854.                    :text-bravo:

XLT

Oh, and one other glaring thing... these rear wheels aren't even close to the right bolt pattern... anyone know off the top of their head what the bolt pattern is?

WHNJ701

if anything you have alot of hard to find parts, the 701 is model specific 

WHNJ701

your serial is fairly close to my 701#

857 horse

THE BOLT PATTERN IS 4 1/2.............................:happy-bouncymagenta::happy-bouncycyan::happy-bouncyred::laughing-rollingred:

Achto
48 minutes ago, XLT said:

these rear wheels aren't even close to the right bolt pattern... anyone know off the top of their head what the bolt pattern is?

:WRS:

The early :wh:'s used a 5 bolt rim on a 3 bolt hub. I think that '64 was the last year that they did this.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

Regarding your rear wheels, Wheelhorse used rims with a 5 bolt pattern, but the hubs use 3 of the 5 bolt pattern.  So you rims, hubs look to be correct.  ...They typed faster tham me.

:text-welcomeconfetti: good to have another Texan on here, even if you are 8 hours away.

Edited by oliver2-44

Achto
3 hours ago, XLT said:

any ideas as to what I have here?

I believe that you have a 701 chassis. The fuel tank is from a different model.

XLT

I've read the parts are not as interchangeable as other years... any leads other than keeping an eye on ebay?

WHNJ701
7 minutes ago, XLT said:

I've read the parts are not as interchangeable as other years... any leads other than keeping an eye on ebay?

aside from the original 701 engine belt guard which is difficult to find, you already have most of the hard to find tractor components.  

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Retired Wrencher

XLT :WRS:   Enjoy the tractor and the project. You joined the right forum.

XLT

It also came with what I was told was the original motor... but at this point, may just be an old replacement... This originally had a 7hp briggs and stratton? 1" shaft?

XLT

Also, just for safety, is there a belt guard more readily available that I can put on until I find an original?

ri702bill

XLT:

The belt guard from a 502 or 702 will fit - they will have the embossed shape for the "702" or "502" - the 701 does not.

The left guard from a 502, 702, 753, 633?, or 854 will fit - they have a cutout for the parking brake - the 701 did not.

701 would have had a "straight" shift lever (no second bend to clear a HY2 Hydraulic unit.

Original motor on a 701 is a Kohler 7 HP K161-S (with a double pulley setup for the Starter/Generator - no automatic compression release until 1962)

The hood is solid - no grill (no the best idea, changed all models 1962 and later.

Bill

• Like 1

ZXT

Welcome from another Texan! Looks like I'm not the only 3 letter name person around here anymore! Haha.

What are your plans with the tractor? WH's are pretty scarce anywhere in Texas. Your best source of parts will be here and on eBay.. Also keep an eye on your local craigslist and FB marketplace. Things do pop up from time to time.

XLT

Full restoration not really on the table at this point... hoping to get it up to "useful tool" level. Restoration would be great, and may be in the future. 

Ordered a new shifter, since this one is broken off... in one gear or another.  Garden tractors as a whole are not common in Texas, apparently, but my property is barely big enough to turn a full size tractor around in.... so this is perfect size. 

I am not sure what motor was included as the "original" but it has no pulleys on it, and the charging system is absent entirely.  It is a 1" shaft, so that part is at least correct, I think. 

XLT

In fact, this one didn't technically come from Texas, either... I picked it up out of a yard in Anthony, NM :D

XLT

Doesn't seem to move... brushed it out and soaked with PB blaster... I can likely weld a rod on there to pull it out, but I'm not sure that the dog point screw isn't broken off in there somewhere

Opinions?

20190819_202005.jpg

XLT

And I have a new shift lever on its way... I just need to get this out. 

The Tuul Crib

Is that sand on top? I so you might want to open it up before you run it.