Charley

Steering wheel removal

Charley

Is this a proper method for pulling my steering wheel off? The pin is out and kroil has been applied. I cant help but think its fighting against itself. 

20190819_204327.jpg

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good to see another Michigander!!!

Have not done one myself but previous posts have indicated copious amounts of penetrating oil, patience, heat and more patience will pay off...

Good luck!

• Like 2

lynnmor

Block the front wheels and twist the steering wheel left and right with a reasonable amount of force.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

953 nut
56 minutes ago, Charley said:

The pin is out and kroil has been applied

:WRS:

Removing the pin is a major accomplishment!     :woohoo:         Just keep adding more penetrating oil.

confucius-say.png.0eddef04a45547ffc511e4d45c55eba7.png

• Like 5

troutbum70

I have two tractors I have trying to remove, have yet to get the role pins out. Have considered drilling on each end to at least get the wheels off and then maybe finishing drilling them out of the shaft. 

oliver2-44

Removing a steering wheel on a Wheelhorse is a restoration "right of passage".  When you succeed you get the special secret decoder ring. :ychain: good luck, and as others have indicated lots of penetrating oil, wiggling, shaking and even more patience.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

bc.gold

If your steering gear is similar make a thick spacer ( C ) to slip over the shaft to take up the slack near the pinion gear then use a slide hammer to remove the steering wheel.

Even if there's no slack at the pinion use the spacer to keep the pinion stationary.

s-l640.jpg

Charley

Slow and steady. Thank you gentlemen!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

Hard part is done, roll pin is out...

post #3 here is your answer.  :thumbs:

Lee1977
9 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Removing a steering wheel on a Wheelhorse is a restoration "right of passage".  When you succeed you get the special secret decoder ring. :ychain: good luck, and as others have indicated lots of penetrating oil, wiggling, shaking and even more patience.  

Will I'm one and one and still have the steering shaft ti prove it. I did get the flange bearing installed on the 312-8 but never got the steering wheel off.

SAM-1027.jpg

• Excellent 1

WHX??

I modified my H press as to be able to slip the whole shebang in it so no more steering wheel removal issues for me. Now to figure out hubs!

20181204_173253.jpg

20181204_173857.jpg

20181204_174317.jpg

20181204_174456.jpg

My bad...:WRS: Charley!

Edited by WHX24
welcome
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

pacer
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

I did get the flange bearing installed on the 312-8 but never got the steering wheel off.

The couple I've done I just worked around the wheel staying on, when I did the second one I decided that was the simplest answer cause it really wasnt a problem. I painted the dash surround and cleaned up the wheel --- and, got all the slack out too.

Charley

Somebody cut the gas tank off, I have a new gas tank and dash for it, I have all winter to get her cleaned up!

• Like 2