8ntruck

Quick hitches

8ntruck

I am starting to shop around for a 42" RD mower deck for my 1973 14 hp no name.  I am currently running a 5-1010 SD deck.  I remember reading about or talking to somebody about how the quick hitch accessory mounting system was changed not too long after Toro acquired Wheel Horse.  Whatever year that happened would define the newest deck I could consider.

Does anybody here know what year this might have happened?

Thanks.

daveoman1966

The Tach-o-Matic or 'quick attach 'system was adopted in 1973.  The front mule drive for decks was an integral part of that.  Wheelhorse also made an 'adapter' for pre-73 tractors to enable use of the front mule drive, eliminating the cumbersome side-mount belt drive system.  

Racinbob

No, Toro didn't change things. I'm currently running a deck that was purchased in 1976 on a 2005. :)

gwest_ca

All 42" RD decks will fit 1973 and newer long frame tractors because they only produced them between 1976 and 2012.

Best to find one that uses blades with 3/4" center hole.

Mower DNA

1976 model 65-42MR01 replaced by - (Has the flat spindle belt idler pulley mounted on a triangular plate.) - (Has multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

1977 model 75-42MR01 - (Has the flat spindle belt idler pulley mounted on a triangular plate) - (Has multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

Both use blades with 5/8" x 3/4" double-D center hole unless the spindles have been upgraded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blades now have a 3/4" center hole.

1977 model 75-42MR02 replaced by - (Has the flat spindle belt idler pulley mounted on a flat bar) (Has multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

1978 model 85-42MR01 - (Has the flat spindle belt idler pulley mounted on a flat bar) (Has multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

1979 model 95-42MR01 - No ipl available

1979 model 95-42MR02 - (Has no multi-link hardware at the gauge wheel support)

1980-1983 model 05-42MR01

1984 model 05-42MR02 - Last year for bearings with 3/4" ID

1985 model 05-42MR03 - First year for bearings with 17mm ID unless older spindles were updated.

1986-1988 model 05-42MR04

1989-1990 model 15-42RC01

1990-1992 model 15-42RC02

1993-2012 model 78350 - (These use blades with 3/4" center hole)

Note - 17mm is .669"

Garry

squonk

I have one of those mule adapters and a tach o matic mid hitch on my 67 1267.  I can run the plentiful mid seventies and on up decks on it. 

daveoman1966

As an alternative to the ADAPTER, alll you need do is drill 3 holes in the front of the FRAME, just under the hood hinge.... to accept a Front Tach-o-Matic hitch.   But the front hitch for around $20 on Ebay and a Front Mule Drive for $50 or so.  The drive belt should for a 42 or 48 side deck would be # 102742 (94-2501).  42" rear dich takes a different belt...not sure of number.  This takes about an hour or so to upgrade...  NOTE... Use 3 large square nuts (1/2" thick)  as spacers between the front hitch and frame plate so that the front hitch is VERTICAL when all mounted. 

At your discretion, the MIDDLE tach-o-Matich hitch can be swapped out, but not required..    

MULE-45.jpg

raid 12.jpg

RAIDER 10 (1).jpg

MULE DRIVE UPGRADE DETAIL.docx

Edited by daveoman1966

8ntruck

Garry - thanks for that excellent summary.  It will help me figure out exactly which deck I bought today.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Yeah, thanks Garry!  Some guy didn’t know what he was selling....  :hide:  :D  

Once again, it was nice meeting you Bill!

pfrederi

WH had  several ideaqs for deck drives. If you do not want to drill holes to put on a front tachmatic and mule drive you could use one like this that was around for a short period  with Chargers and Raiders

IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG