LengerichKA88

Mower will run closed choke, dies when choke opens.

LengerichKA88

One of my wife’s old teachers needed her mower looked at. Figured I’d give it a shot. Think I have it figured out but would like additional input. 

When they brought it to me, they said it wouldn’t start, and they just wanted fresh gas, oil, and plug. I did all that, and was able to get it started with starting fluid. Checked the lines from the tank to the carb, gas flows just fine. Dropped the bowl in the carb and it was filthy. Cleaned it up, and got it back on, and it would still start and die. After doing some reading, I figured “What the hell, let’s try it.” And it started up. Ran a tad rough, but ran. Long enough for me to grab a shop rag, tie off the handle, walk 25 feet to get my FIL, walk back, and have it die just as he was coming around the corner. 

What we did was let it sit, until the choke was closed (engine cooled), and tried it again. Same thing: ran, rough but ran, until the thermowax opened the choke. Right as it died, the choke popped all the way open.

Im guessing that the thermowax is bad, which is an 11 dollar part, but if anyone could think of anything else to look at, or something I haven’t thought of, I figured it would be you guys.

Also: I don’t care for auto chokes 😂

Thanks in advance!  

LengerichKA88

We removed and cleaned the entire carburetor, just to clarify. Not just the bowl. 

ebinmaine

Are there any rubber Parts in the carburetor that could be replaced?

If so, they would have been damaged by ethanol.

I don't know enough about those automatic chokes to tell you for sure if that's bad.

LengerichKA88
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Are there any rubber Parts in the carburetor that could be replaced?

If so, they would have been damaged by ethanol.

I don't know enough about those automatic chokes to tell you for sure if that's bad.

Since I’d been talking to ya about it, I wanted you to see the video, was too long to send to ya. 

No rubber parts were seen inside the carb. Aside from the junk it actually looked pretty good 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Hopefully one of the all- knowing will be along to help out.

:lol:

gwest_ca

If you substitute your hands or a rag for the choke will it keep running?

It is possible the low speed circuit is lean which the coke will mask as long as it is choked.

With the engine running at high speed cut the air intake off instantly and see if the vacuum will pull a restriction on through. When it almost quits allow air to enter again. Repeat. Called a rev-up tune-up. Sometimes it works.

Garry 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Stormin

I agree with Gary. May be a bit of dirt in the main jet. What's the inside of the tank like?

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

@gwest_ca, that seemed to do it. Sounds like it just rolled out of the store now. I had to starve it of air about 4 times,  and now it runs like a top. 

@Stormin, the tank actually looked pretty good. I should’ve taken a picture of the bowl and carb before I cleaned em,  looked like the 80s National Geographic of the Titanic. 

Fingers crossed that it continues to run like it is,  thanks for the help gentlemen! 

• Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

LengerichKA88

Just used it to mow my neighbors lawn, ran strong the entire time. They’ll be picking it up this afternoon. A period of instruction will occur before they leave to keep it from happening again. 

Have I mentioned I love Red Square lately?

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

period of instruction

1. No ethanol.

2. No ethanol.

3. No ethanol.

4. Use as normal....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Razorback
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

1. No ethanol.

2. No ethanol.

3. No ethanol.

4. Use as normal....

I’ll stop you when I disagree with anything... :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 2

Stormin
19 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

Have I mentioned I love Red Square lately?

We're not just pretty faces. :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

LengerichKA88
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

We're not just pretty faces. :D

I tell my wife that every chance I get 😂

• Haha 2

Tractorhead

@ebinmaine

100% agree, additional take care, no water in tank by filling with reserve canister.

had also an issue with our scooter, if it‘s run with choke all seems good.

just if choke was out, the engine spits and stalled.

today i dismounted the whole carb and found a minidrip of water at main nozzle in the carb.

didn‘t know where the Water in Bowl comes, so i investigate closer.

firstly i think i comes from Gas trigger wire, a known issue at this Engines, but i‘m wrong.

a bit pressurized Air and all was fine for a short testdrive, but by drove back, same issue happens again.

We filled just by reserve canister, so i drained the fueltank in an empty pepsi bottle, to see what‘s happened, 

After i did this, i see a small line of Water onto the Fuel.

At least i Drained the whole Tank, refilled with clean fresh Fuel cleaned once more the Carb and i‘m done.

the new Fuelline was required, because the old begins to have light rips.

E5DA8FB0-44D0-426C-ABA7-F58999842880.jpeg.f74e4d22222acc701cf0299a4d906ed6.jpeg

• Like 3