RJ Hamner

This Was Going to Be My Winter Project....But...

RJ Hamner

I have the transmission broken down and the case and all the gears scrubbed and have been waiting on all the parts to show up

The last batch should be here tomorrow.  :greetings-clappingyellow:

The little steel balls for the shifter seem to be my downfall.

On two different transmissions I have managed to shoot those little suckers across the shop. 

Its a good thing they keep them in stock because I still haven't found any of them yet:ranting:

I have managed to make some progress.  I have blasted, primed and painted the frame and a lot of the parts that get bolted to it.

I gave in and painted the frame red this time

DSC_0971.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Sorry for the balls problem....  the rest looks great!

RJ Hamner

Finished up the transmission and got it connected to the frame.:D

While I was waiting on transmission part gave the blast cabinet a real workout with a lot of small stuff.

Then got ambitious and took the tower apart.

Parts book shows the collar with the lift arms removable from the shaft.:huh: 

Soaked that sucker for two weeks with penetrate.  Didn't even phase it.:laughing-rolling:

So....the tower frame complete with lift arm went into the blast cabinet.  Boy was that FUN!!!:blink:

The basic frame is done and the rest of the parts are getting their final coats (don't have enough "clothesline")

A guy I met a while back called me last Monday and said he was going to sell his 83 C-175, plow and snow blower.

Already have a nice plow and rebuilt a snow blower last summer. Not looking to rebuild another snowblower or a plow.  Guess I'll have to list em on the classified.

DSC_0972.JPG

DSC_0973.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, RJ Hamner said:

guy I met a while back called me last Monday and said he was going to sell his 83 C-175, plow and snow blower.

Already have a nice plow and rebuilt a snow blower last summer. Not looking to rebuild another snowblower or a plow.  Guess I'll have to list em on the classified.

Sooooooo...... Is the C175 you're ACTUAL winter project???

:D

RJ Hamner
On 10/5/2019 at 7:28 AM, ebinmaine said:

Sooooooo...... Is the C175 you're ACTUAL winter project???

:D

Well ya never know.  Something might show up between now on then:laughing-rolling:

A week or so back I was waiting on paint to dry and I started to clean up the wiring harness.

I had posted a picture of the harness with all the mud and crud on it and TRACTORHEAD  noticed on of the wires had some missing insulation.

The more I cleaned the more"like" problems I found. :(

What ever was living in the shed with the tractor must have really like insulation or else someone was not too careful with their tools.

Found the price of a new harness (just the main tractor NOT the engine) is $413.00 :scared-eek:

Guess I going to get a lot of practice on how to splice wiring

This must be the ADVENTURE part.:happy-smileyinthebox:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Racinbob

Try contacting Jim @rednos 

He's got a ton of NOS parts including probably dozens of NOS wiring harnesses. Most, if not all, are tagged with what tractor they go with. He's good people. :)

RJ Hamner
14 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Try contacting Jim @rednos 

He's got a ton of NOS parts including probably dozens of NOS wiring harnesses. Most, if not all, are tagged with what tractor they go with. He's good people. :)

Sent him a message

Thanks for the info

Bob

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, RJ Hamner said:

Guess I going to get a lot of practice on how to splice wiring

This must be the ADVENTURE part

Nothin wrong with that...

Pullstart

A soldier iron, some flux and good wiring solder will make for light work when splicing.  If you twist opposing wires around each other and double back, make sure all the strands are smooth and together before soldering.  Also don’t forget the heat shrink on the wire before assembly too!  I use a piece of pine board and some clamps on the wires to press the wire against when doing the solder.

RJ Hamner

Peter Lena made a comment about a couple of mods to improve the horse.

1. Was the addition of an additional bearing for the steering shaft.  (part is on order)

and

2 Was a way to tighten up the PTO lever with additional washers and nylon washers.

WELL....

I was in the hardware section this afternoon looking for some nylon washers and I came across Nylon Spacers.

I thought this might work even better so I tried it.

And It Worked

Take a look

DSC_0975.JPG

DSC_0977.JPG

• Like 1

Lee1977

Here is a improvement I made to my C-120 as the hole for the clutch idler was worn. I drilled them out to 5/8" and added oillite bushings. Did the same with the PTO lever, but I did saw the bushing in half for both

clutch and PTO as I didn't need them that long.

SAM-0315.jpg

SAM-0311.jpg

SAM-0306.jpg

SAM-0307.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 3

RJ Hamner

:handgestures-thumbupright:

RJ Hamner

I am beginning to think that the wife is getting wise to my line of "Look what followed me home":unsure:

The guy down the street is in the process of moving and asked me if I would be interested in a Wheel Horse tractor (ya think):P

Its a 93 416-8.  No deck.  He just used it to tow his trailers around

This may have partly solved my wiring issues along with any spare parts.:)

Probably worth the $200

DSC_0981.JPG

DSC_0983.JPG

DSC_0987.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
On 10/19/2019 at 4:53 PM, RJ Hamner said:

Probably worth the $200

No kidding....

You bought a transmission and got a free tractor.

Well done!!

RJ Hamner

And a set of near new rear tires:)

Tractorhead

👍 

RJ Hamner

Got a chance to do a little more work.

Went through the wiring harness and replaced all the questionable wires.:)

Got out my meter and checked all my splices and while I was at it check all the switches to make sure they were good.:wacko:

Was able to get the fender in the blast cabinet and got it down to bare metal, primed, sanded to 500 grit and 3 coats of Regal Red

Had to set it in place for now (never have enough room for everything):ranting:

Would like to get the engine cleaned in the next couple of weeks but not too sure that's going to happen.

Found out this morning that they are going to replace my shoulder on the 3rd of December and I need to get a few things done before then.

Guess the upside is that the paint will have a good opportunity to dry!:dance:

DSC_0988.JPG

DSC_0989.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Pullstart

Here’s for safe and healthy recovery after the surgery!

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Better than new, respect.

👍

RJ Hamner

After the 416-8 project has been 9 months on hold the shoulder is finally getting to the point where I can get back to working on the tractors.:happy-bouncymulticolor:

Installed the repaired wiring harness.  Thankfully I labeled all the wires or I would have been up the creek.:blink:

Installed all the new decals on the panels and installed all the switches and gauges.

Got the wife to help installing the engine. Installed the cables and the PTO (minor PITA):ranting:

Guess the next thing is the running boards and then the hood.

DSC_1031.JPG

DSC_1029.JPG

DSC_1030.JPG

• Excellent 4

WHX??

Looks nice & don't over work that shoulder! 

Lee1977
On 8/29/2019 at 2:05 PM, ebinmaine said:

So .... What's going to be your actual winter project? Now that this one is turned into a late summer and fall project?

Eric he's a lot faster then you it will be done before fall. He will probably do another this fall before he starts a winter project.

:P

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Wish I could go faster but I'd have to quit my job.....

Then I wouldn't have any money to buy parts.

RJ Hamner

Since I had finished a side project (mower deck) and had a little extra room I thought I would start doing a little work on the 416 deck. 
Got it pretty well down to the basics and Murphy raised his ugly head. The shafts for the blades are stuck in the spindles. :ranting:
Step 1:  PB Blaster. Multiple applications

Got to noticing the buildup of crud on the zerks  now I’m wondering how often, if ever, they were greased. :bitch:
Step 2: seven squirts each with the lube gun and more PB and wait for two days. 
Step 3:  Remove zerks and smack with large rubber hammer. 
Now contemplating my next move. Heat?  Which might destroy the pulley (which needs to come off so I can remove the spindles)

Thought I would ask before I did something stupid (which has been known to happen) and really messed up:confusion-helpsos:

RJ Hamner

If someone were to ask "How's your day going"?

I guess I would have to say "Great.....until it came to a screeching halt"

Got to work some more in the 416 while soaking the spindles on the mower deck.

everything is looking pretty good on that end.  Still waiting on a few odds and ends.:P

Two of the three spindles finally responded to the PB Blaster.  All I was able to salvage was the housing and the nut and grease cup from the shaft.:wacko:

Checked with Lincoln at A-Z for a new shaft and pulley and he has them.

The deck has four holes one in the top and three on the sides so got some sheet steel and cut out some patch plates.

Some years ago I was a pretty good hand with gas welding but I'll never win a prize with a wire welder (I have a Hobart).

But trying to patch the holes on the deck was driving me nuts.  I thought it was me being "rusty" so did some practice welds on some old pieces/parts.

Like I said.  Not prize winning but OK even on thinner metal than the deck.  I now believe that paint is the only thing holding the rust together.I think I can burn through it with a kitchen match.:scared-eek:

I guess I will have to decide if I want to use the deck I rebuilt for the 121 and put it on the 416 (same model numbers)

Aaarrrggggh:angry-banghead:

DSC_1036.JPG

DSC_1037.JPG

DSC_1038.JPG

• Excellent 2