PA.BOB

My first Wheel Horse 1967 -1057

PA.BOB

Hi everyone. Well finally found my first Wheel Horse a few months back.. Its a 1966 1057 . Its in pretty decent shape . All original  except the steering wheel.  Has the original  Wheel horse tires on it yet .  Not to good though.   I got  a snow plow and the deck with it.  Has the original 10 horse Kohler.  I think it had some engine work done to it . There is another tag on it . i think it has something to do with the bearings. It runs and sounds good. no smoke. So  my plans are to strip the tractor down and restore it.  I started  tearing everything apart. Taking a lot of pictures. And labeling everything. and making diagrams of stuff.  The rear  and trans seams pretty good .Gear oil nice and clean. The axles don't have any play or slop. Looks like somebody might have repaired them. .  The rear axles measure 1 1/18  . Is that correct  for this rear ?  I thought 1 1/8 axles were in 8 speeds only.  I'm just learning. Don't know. I really appreciate  all the help from all of you guys on this great forum.  I don't think i would have bought a wheel horse if it wasn't for this forum.  I will be asking you guys a lot of questions. So i hope you don't get mad at me.   I'm  not to good with computers either. So you might have to bear with me.  I am going to try to post some pictures . I know you guys like pictures . I finally finished the hood this morning. Thai isn't going to be know show tractor. Just a nice restoration of it , i Hope...............I am using  Duplicolor red engine enamel  with ceramic in it.  5 coats of red .Then i wet sanded it. Then buffed it. Then waxed it. NO clear coat.  It turned out pretty nice . It looks much nicer in real life.  All the parts will be stripped to bare metal..  So here's some pictures . I hope. They only let me put 2 pictures on .  I will try it again. Thanks again everyone.  Bob..................

DSCF4939.JPG

DSCF5030.JPG

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Terry M

Nice Paint Job!!:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

67 WH 877

Nice work...:handgestures-thumbupright:

stevasaurus

The 1st thing is that a 1057 is a 1967 horse.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  The transmission is a #5058.  This means that it is a "Heavy Duty" 3 speed with 1 1/8" axles.  It also has the bevel gear differential...no pinions.  :occasion-xmas:  The paint job looks great.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Nice looking horse Bob!

Don't sweat the questions. Ask away!!!

• Like 2

953 nut
2 hours ago, PA.BOB said:

I will be asking you guys a lot of questions. So i hope you don't get mad at me.   I'm  not to good with computers either. So you might have to bear with me.

:WRS:

:confusion-questionmarks:             Questions and answers are the lifeblood of this site,  ask away!            Love the pictures of your work.           :wwp:

• Like 5

PA.BOB

Thanks guys for all your nice reply's.  Yes  Steve. I screwed up, I know its a 1967.  Don't  know why i put 1966 down. I am starting to forget a lot of things ! Oh Boy.   Wonder if they can change the title on my post to 1967 ?   I will keep you updated with pictures.  Do you think its OK to post the pictures  on this same thread? Thanks again everyone.  Bob....................

• Like 2

PA.BOB

Thanks Stevasaurus for cluing me in on my transmission and differential. Much appreciated . Do you think this trans is almost as good as the 8 speed?   Talk to you all  later. Bob...................

rjg854

You're doing some really nice work :handgestures-thumbupright: If you're planning on posting a lot of pictures,  you might consider becoming a supporter.  That way you can post as many pictures you want to.  And being we all want to follow the great job you're doing , I'd recommend it :)

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Yes, keep updating this same thread with all your :wh: restoration progress.  :text-thankyoublue:

• Like 2

953 nut
5 hours ago, PA.BOB said:

Do you think this trans is almost as good as the 8 speed?

The big advantage you would have with an 8 speed is if you want to run a rototiller. I have never used low range on the 8 speed on my 310-8 and probably never will. Mowing, grading soil, pushing snow and other tasks are all done in high range.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Nice paint work!  It'll look great when you’re finished!

Stormin
12 hours ago, rjg854 said:

You're doing some really nice work :handgestures-thumbupright: If you're planning on posting a lot of pictures,  you might consider becoming a supporter.  That way you can post as many pictures you want to.  And being we all want to follow the great job you're doing , I'd recommend it :)

:text-yeahthat:    Well worth while. :thumbs:

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, PA.BOB said:

Do you think this trans is almost as good as the 8 speed? 

I'm thinking it'll be just as tough.

Similar internals except the differential.

The only time I use low is going in or out of the horse shed and backing a trailer in a tight spot.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Bob nice tractor I had two of them  this was the best running engine I ever had. Very smooth Life lessen on the had. What do you plane on doing with it? Just take your time and enjoy the project. Looking forward to seeing more picks. I also suggest what rjg854 said. It helps keeping this site going.5ad08f103eb57_WHorsepower003.jpg.bddb540b7a27469c85f39683404499f3.jpg

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

Nice tractor.VERY nice paint job.Have fun with your new toy.BTW,I love shiny red paint.

dclarke

Nice tractor you have there and nice paint work! Keep the pics coming. 

stevasaurus

Your trans is plenty strong.  Just make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting gears.  :occasion-xmas:

whtractors24
13 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

Bob nice tractor I had two of them  this was the best running engine I ever had. Very smooth Life lessen on the had. What do you plane on doing with it? Just take your time and enjoy the project. Looking forward to seeing more picks. I also suggest what rjg854 said. It helps keeping this site going.5ad08f103eb57_WHorsepower003.jpg.bddb540b7a27469c85f39683404499f3.jpg

Yes you did 🤷‍♂️I tradednit and just got her back . You did a heck of job on the motor it runs like a top I enjoy it . 

ED415045-19D5-4800-A2D3-687D0475F052.jpeg

42B244DC-EA00-4320-975D-447E482FA988.jpeg

whtractors24
On 8/17/2019 at 12:27 PM, PA.BOB said:

Hi everyone. Well finally found my first Wheel Horse a few months back.. Its a 1966 1057 . Its in pretty decent shape . All original  except the steering wheel.  Has the original  Wheel horse tires on it yet .  Not to good though.   I got  a snow plow and the deck with it.  Has the original 10 horse Kohler.  I think it had some engine work done to it . There is another tag on it . i think it has something to do with the bearings. It runs and sounds good. no smoke. So  my plans are to strip the tractor down and restore it.  I started  tearing everything apart. Taking a lot of pictures. And labeling everything. and making diagrams of stuff.  The rear  and trans seams pretty good .Gear oil nice and clean. The axles don't have any play or slop. Looks like somebody might have repaired them. .  The rear axles measure 1 1/18  . Is that correct  for this rear ?  I thought 1 1/8 axles were in 8 speeds only.  I'm just learning. Don't know. I really appreciate  all the help from all of you guys on this great forum.  I don't think i would have bought a wheel horse if it wasn't for this forum.  I will be asking you guys a lot of questions. So i hope you don't get mad at me.   I'm  not to good with computers either. So you might have to bear with me.  I am going to try to post some pictures . I know you guys like pictures . I finally finished the hood this morning. Thai isn't going to be know show tractor. Just a nice restoration of it , i Hope...............I am using  Duplicolor red engine enamel  with ceramic in it.  5 coats of red .Then i wet sanded it. Then buffed it. Then waxed it. NO clear coat.  It turned out pretty nice . It looks much nicer in real life.  All the parts will be stripped to bare metal..  So here's some pictures . I hope. They only let me put 2 pictures on .  I will try it again. Thanks again everyone.  Bob..................

DSCF4939.JPG

DSCF5030.JPG

Is this out of a rattle can ? If so maybe a pic of the color . 

The Tuul Crib

If you don't ask questions you don't get results. Very nice tractor you have there I'm sure it will serve your purposes quite well. I have a 1967 1067 which I have upgraded some of the features originally. Such as a 14 horse in foot plates .

Rattle can good! Plus clear on 

top! Buff and wax!

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 1

PA.BOB

rjg854 yes i am going to be a supporter.And thank you for recommending it to me.  AMC RULES, I will keep updating on this same thread. And thank you.  953 nut ,Thanks for letting me know. I will be just using it to plow some  snow.. I am not going to cut with it.  PULLSTART,  Thanks, it looks pretty good for spray cans. I wet sanded it . And kept buffing it out. And i didn't  use any clear coat.  Thanks Stormin.  Thanks ebinmain, Just plow some snow with it. And just use it around the house. . Eb. where did you get your chains for your Ag tires ?   Because that's what i am putting on mine . I have wide ones.   RETIRED WRENCHER.  Thank you. I am just going to plow some snow with it and use it around the house.  Thank you Pollack Pete.  Thank you dclarke.  Thank you Steve for all your helpful information. WHTRACTORS24   , I been using your  1057 picture as my screen saver.  And  for reference. Hope you don't mind. I have my tires and wheels for it also.  Matt castagno's  father in law did my seat also .Beautiful tractor you got. You did a beautiful job on it..  Hope mine turns out  1/2 as nice as yours.  Thank you  tool crib.    This forum is so cool.  This is like a family here. You people are so nice.    Bob..............................

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, PA.BOB said:

Eb. where did you get your chains for your Ag tires ?   Because that's what i am putting on mine . I have wide ones

Bob we've got multiple sizes of tires here and chains for all of them.

You can find them online without much trouble.

My best advice probably would be to place an ad in the wanted section here on Red Square first. Perhaps someone has a spare set they would be willing to part with. At Least Two of my sets were purchased from members here.