Pullstart

C’mere deer!

JAinVA

Good luck with the hunt, Kev.Always good to see that smile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stormin

Oh boy! Would you be popular over here with a certain tv presenter and conservationist. He even trying to stop us shooting crows. :rolleyes:

• Haha 4

ACman
46 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Oh boy! Would you be popular over here with a certain tv presenter and conservationist. He even trying to stop us shooting crows. :rolleyes:

Norm over here we have numerous organizations and people that would love to see the end of hunting or even eating meat. One group P.E.T.A. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) is one of them. Around here though P.E.T.A. Has a different meaning... People Eating Tasty Animals! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

posifour11
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

I know folks on the east coast have them in their front yard and car hoods. They lament their existence and hate the hunters....

In my area, deer are an obstinate ( but tasty) game animal that take resources from our regular agricultural animals. 

Deer hunting is not a money ahead proposition. It's like fishing. I am almost 40 years old and haven't shot a deer. But, I'm trying again for the third year. Basically for the fun of being back in the woods and enjoying the chances I have. 

Your TV presenter doesn't understand what goes on here, sadly. I've already been on this soapbox too long. Such is life, I guess. Sorry for going off on a tangent. 

Edited because words are hard. 

Edited by posifour11
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

little red riding horse

I have areal problem with this, send some venison burgers over (problem solved ) !  good shooting man.... if you couldn't kill it don't eat it.... fire up the barby ill bring the beers :orcs-cheers: 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti hunting. Done a bit myself. Still have my shotguns. The trouble with a lot of the anti shooting brigade, you can't get through to them the damage wild life can do. Not just to the farming industry but to other animals and birds. Crows have gone with two lots of moorhen eggs this year. They'll also rob any small birds nests.

The tv presenter was on the box the other week, going on about crows. While he was talking, they were filming a flock of rooks.  Couldn't tell the difference.

• Sad 2

posifour11
3 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not anti hunting. Done a bit myself. Still have my shotguns. The trouble with a lot of the anti shooting brigade, you can't get through to them the damage wild life can do. Not just to the farming industry but to other animals and birds. Crows have gone with two lots of moorhen eggs this year. They'll also rob any small birds nests.

The tv presenter was on the box the other week, going on about crows. While he was talking, they were filming a flock of rooks.  Couldn't tell the difference.

I just hope that they aren't the majority for you. 

I can't tell you what I think will happen if they do here. I'm antipolitical. 😉

Stormin

3 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

I just hope that they aren't the majority for you. 

Oh they've already got fox hunting with hounds banned. That's really upset the horsey, Tally Ho lot. The trouble with that is, dogs are the only way to hunt foxes up on the fells.

• Sad 2

WHX??
15 minutes ago, Stormin said:

fox hunting with hounds banned

You kidding us Norm ... Fox hound hunting has been going on over there since  the dawn of time.

Some needs to follow your tv dude and see if he ever waltzes into a McDonalds!

posifour11
50 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Oh they've already got fox hunting with hounds banned. That's really upset the horsey, Tally Ho lot. The trouble with that is, dogs are the only way to hunt foxes up on the fells.

That's where it starts for you guys! I'm not a dog Hunter, but you can imagine that they start with inches, not miles!

Stormin

Sorry! I've been a bit misleading. You can still hunt with hounds, but the hounds cannot kill the fox. The fox must be shot.

WHNJ701

I don't hunt anymore but we still like watching the deer, have the salt block and feeder right behind the house.  we sit on the deck alot gives us something to look at

20190809_182733.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

No one has told the hounds that though.

• Haha 1

Stormin

Three days ago I said, I'd not seen any deer round here for a while. Once had two right outside a couple of years back.

The following morning as I drove down the lane, I spotted two way off in a field to my left.

Don't know what's happened here, but this post should be after Kevin's below.

Edited by Stormin

Pullstart

I’m using Big Junky to work the food plot a bit more today.  I found this bucket of lead... it should help dig that disc in a bit!

9E122A29-727A-4EF3-961F-1802815D9795.jpeg

465128C0-7D73-4152-8D6A-22CBEB337324.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

I think the plot is ready for some poop.  

0415804C-98F2-465B-AC61-D974FB01F5B6.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

The poop has been disced and is ready for seed.

CE308952-5D6C-44AF-B214-ECA7E3B7F1DE.jpeg

76098435-6D69-49B1-8018-A06D7FE1BE34.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

For record keeping, my four seed choices are Medium Red Clover, Dwarf Essex Rape, Tilage Radish, and Purple Top Turnips.  The radish is a larger seed and they recommended I keep that separate.  The rest can be pre-mixed.

49D0287A-EEA9-4DA0-A718-76F16E189206.jpeg

417E8557-86CB-4820-9708-4891E0EADC52.jpeg

0B0A6ED4-AD40-46CF-95EE-FEF982613E2F.jpeg

E6FCA985-8F20-40FF-AAED-BFAFB4A1FD14.jpeg

94EFD051-6A2B-41F0-819A-1B1BED121CBA.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

The seed has been spread with the Scott’s grass seed spreader!  I had some help dragging the old box springs with this Kawasaki Mule I fixed for a guy.  It’s not a fast side by side... but for work it’s quite the beast!  High and low range, 2 or 4 wheel drive, rear diff lock, power steering... the cab just gets a bit toasty in the heat... but it has heat for snow plow duties!

912339AB-00E3-44EF-8E0C-291C82D2C8AE.jpeg

70876A33-365D-45FB-987D-E2CD4AC069B7.jpeg

4DD7F09A-66E6-4E34-84C0-1F823E2C1298.jpeg

• Like 2

ACman

@pullstart I don’t know what the name of these plants are but they’re highly invasive. This year there’s two next year there’s twenty and so on . Cutting them down doesn’t work do it either . Have to bust out the chemicals and even then it took a couple years to rid of them . 

AAE0D681-3DA0-46D4-B11D-2F95E69E9946.jpeg.f6f3df578e68854a1fcf8395adb14da7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

thanks Jeff, i’ll Look into it:handgestures-thumbupright: 

Pullstart

I have a branch in my view that I feel could disappear and not blow my cover.  I believe the correct term for this kind of saw is a Japanese hand saw.  Well, I made a long one with a shop broom handle and the handyman’s secret weapon... duct tape!

ECCA9FC2-E9B3-47AE-9B88-788A44A37A55.jpeg

D93C1501-AEC3-409C-94F8-E21AE1B4C2F5.jpeg

• Like 2

Pullstart

That’s better!  I shoot Lefty... so I’ve planned the majority of my cover to be off my left shoulder.  I now have visibility of about 5 acres from this stand.  It also appears my sprinkler is reaching the majority of the plot!

4A5A2DA8-611E-43BC-B60C-32FE0F822047.jpeg

201F8C8C-715A-4F72-9994-657DE1907A55.jpeg

41DCF08D-CFB5-4BD7-9058-CDC13A923E2A.jpeg

E0BA8430-5E76-4EB0-A0FB-8EA1BA19DACF.jpeg

3D3327A4-C3C5-4CBC-994F-D93AAC2E27EC.jpeg

6E05DF33-9CE4-4D03-991E-412F89B556D3.jpeg

• Like 2

ACman

And you wear a safety harness too.....CORRECT ! :angry-tappingfoot: That goes to all my :rs:friends.

I already have a friend who is paralyzed from falling out a tree stand . He fell asleep and believe me and you never know when your numbers up .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2