base459

Wheel Horse C-101 Front Tire Replacement

base459

Hello all,

I am still pretty new here, but hope I can find some help.  I went to mow my lawn this weekend and came to find the my front left tire had blow out somehow.  I tried to figure out how to get the wheel off so I can replace it myself but it was beyond me to figure it out by just staring at it. Does anyone have instructions, videos, or diagrams on how to remove and re-attach the front wheels?

tire.jpg

ebinmaine

There should be a c-clip, e clip, ring clip, something like that, wrapped around a groove on the outside of the end of the axle.

They are much easier to remove with the proper tool but they can be done with a small flat screwdriver. Just keep your eyes peeled for where it flies off to.....

• Like 1

base459

Thanks Ebinmaine.  That is exactly where I got lost.  I believe it is a c-clip.  Do you happen to know the name of the tool I need to take it off?

pfrederi

Depending on the year they used an external snap ring, an E-Clip or a 3/8" bolt to hold the wheel on. De mounting and remounting the tire can be a challenge if you not have tire tools..

pfrederi

E clips you use a screw driver to pry it off.  External snap ring you use snap ring pliers.

WHX??

The clip may be buried under grease

In case I have not done so Base :WRS:

• Like 1

base459

Thanks guys.  I will take a closer pic of what i am looking at when i get home.  It is a 1978 C-101.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Snap ring and pliers and Eclip

IMG_0026.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

I call E or C clips ogeesus clips... when they go flying off I say ogeesus I'll never find that one again! :lol:

No wonder I can't find my snap ring pliers Paul...I left them at your place!

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

If you have a snap ring and resort to a screw driver to get it off you may want to get new one. They can get bent and may not hold as well as new.  Having the front wheel fall of while you are plowing snow at the far end of the driveway is not a fun thing...do not ask how I know that.  If yours has the bolt keep in mind it is a special bolt with a plastic plug in it to keep it from backing out

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, base459 said:

tire.jpg

You could always patch the tire.     I hear this stuff works miracles.

Flex Seal Liquid Rubber Sealant Coating - White Pint

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

You could always patch the tire.     I hear this stuff works miracles.

Flex Seal Liquid Rubber Sealant Coating - White Pint

Ed I'm thinking his maybe a little past that stuff but maybe with a piece of screen to help?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

But Eric  As seen on TV  so it has to work.

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
52 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

But Eric  As seen on TV  so it has to work.

I concede...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave: @base459!  We never joke around here...  nope.

If you have a floor jack and block up the tractor, it might be advantageous to change a tire while the wheel is still attached to the spindle.  A couple big flat head screw drivers will help, if you have a big enough c-clamp to pop the tire off the bead of the wheel.

• Thanks 1

base459

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.  I forgot to take another couple pics for you.  I do think i need one of those pliers to get the clamp off.  I did think about just getting the blown out tire off and putting on with the attached.  I think after i get the pliers i will make my decision.  It will probably come down to how easy it comes off or doesn't.  Anyone have any idea what type of replacement tire and an approx cost for one?

ebinmaine

You may find it easier to do the work with the suggestion above  leaving it on the tractor because that would give you a great weight base right from the start. Sometimes the most difficult part of removing a tire is breaking the bead and you need stability to be able to do that.

I don't actually have a good source for tires other than looking online so I'm curious to see what the others will say.....

• Thanks 1

base459

The more im thinking about it i would leave it on and remove the tire and replace, however, i did just find this online.  Not sure if this is the right size or not.  Very curious what others say as well!

image.png.27e6fd111c1131abc7653879c1d5a9a3.png

pfrederi

Tires are tires:P  i get them from Amazon.  If I didn't have any tire tools or experience at demounting and remounting i think i would see if a local tire store would do it for  few bucks.

(I know that based on the constant discussion about tires here my view is not the most common one but a turf tire is a turf tire unless you want to replace both fronts with tri-ribs or  something)

• Like 1

pfrederi
13 minutes ago, base459 said:

The more im thinking about it i would leave it on and remove the tire and replace, however, i did just find this online.  Not sure if this is the right size or not.  Very curious what others say as well!

image.png.27e6fd111c1131abc7653879c1d5a9a3.png

I doubt that is the correct size.  What model tractor do you have and what size is on there now???  Edit:  Just reread your OP you have 8" wheels on a c101

Second edit.  if you r tires are original you need 16 6.50 x 8

tire.JPG

Edited by pfrederi

870express

You can search this web site to find the correct tire size for your tractor.  And make sure you select the tire only, not tire and wheel.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/casters/wheels/16-x-650-8-turf-rider-tire?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-pSwk8KC5AIVQV8NCh0BcgCzEAQYBCABEgK5mvD_BwE

MTW_658-2TR-I.jpg

Edited by 870express
  • Excellent 1

Herder
22 hours ago, base459 said:

I went to mow my lawn this weekend and came to find the my front left tire had blow out somehow. 

tire.jpg

I would say so. You mean you didn't hear an explosion?  Reports of a gun shot maybe?    

Edited by Herder
  • Haha 1

base459
8 minutes ago, Herder said:

I would say so. You mean you didn't an explosion?  Reports of a gun shot maybe?    

HA!  my shed is pretty far back so i never heard a thing.  It was on the portion that was on the ground so make it finally just cracked..i dunno exactly what happened it was dissapointing to say the least.  My lawn is getting long and my push mower isn't necessarily the best. Especially since i just replaced the blades and belts on my tractor, it was running and cutting like butter!

base459
29 minutes ago, 870express said:

You can search this web site to find the correct tire size for your tractor.  And make sure you select the tire only, not tire and wheel.

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/material-handling/casters/wheels/16-x-650-8-turf-rider-tire?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-pSwk8KC5AIVQV8NCh0BcgCzEAQYBCABEgK5mvD_BwE

MTW_658-2TR-I.jpg

Thank you!