rickm

D200 k532s spark plug failure

rickm

I have a recurrent problem with the Kohler k532s engine in my D200 .. the spark plug in cylinder 1 keeps failing after only a few hours use. It always seems to fail on first starting the engine from cold. I’ve fitted a new coil, HT leads, points, and condenser but still the problem persists. I’m not sure if it is coincidence but, approx 12m ago I had to replace the exhaust valve spring (which had snapped) in the same cylinder. Hoping someone can help as I am rapidly running out of ideas.

pfrederi

What does the plug look like?  Oily, carboned, gray white???

rickm

Hi Paul .. it’s carboned and very slightly oily. I adjusted the carb back to factory settings very recently as the engine was running rich. It’s not as bad now but the plug gets dirty very quickly.

Thanks, Mike

ebinmaine

Doesn't sound like an ignition related thing to me but have you tried switching the wires to see if it repeats on the opposite cylinder? Don't know if they're quite long enough to do that.

• Like 1

rickm

Thanks.. I’ll try that. Watch this space.

pfrederi

Carb factory settings are a start point. Have you tried leaning it out some more?  The other plug have carbon or oil on it??

A compression test may be revealing This is from the Service manual for K532

Edit:  if one cylinder reads low then repeat the test after you pour a tablespoon of heavy oil (at least straight 30 weight) in the low cylinder.  if it improves you he a bad piston ring if it stays the same valve issue.

compression.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

compression

Do these larger Kohler twins NOT have the ACR?

pfrederi
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Do these larger Kohler twins NOT have the ACR?

That is copied out of the K 532 service manual so i guess they did not. Also took a quick look at parts manual  nothing on the cam shaft.  You needed to be a real man to turn one of these over with a rope:P

cam.JPG

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
Just now, pfrederi said:

That is copied out of the K 532 service manual so i guess they did not. Also took a quick look at parts manual  nothing on the cam shaft.  You needed to be a real man to turn one of these over with a rope:P

cam.JPG

the origin of my question is because I have a k582 that I've been fiddling with a little bit to see if I can get it to run.

I would say that you not only need to be a real man, maybe three men and a boy.

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

the origin of my question is because I have a k582 that I've been fiddling with a little bit to see if I can get it to run.

I would say that you not only need to be a real man, maybe three men and a boy.

The service manual covers all the big twins up to the 662 (24 hp) yours is 23hp.  Interesting the parts manual I have only covers the 18 and 20 engines

• Thanks 1

rickm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll take a look at the other plug (should've done that earlier :-( ) to see if it's cleaner than its brother. 

I had the head off the same cylinder less than 12 ago and gave it a thorough de-coke (it was full of carbon deposits, which I attributed to the broken exhaust valve spring - subsequently replaced).  A new head gasket was fitted at the same time and the valves were also cleaned using valve paste to ensure they seated snugly. All looked good on reassembly. I also reset the tappet clearances to those recommended for the k532s.

I changed the engine oil last week and, although it was very black, there was no obvious evidence of any metal deposits so I'm assuming the internal moving parts are still in a reasonable internal state of repair  

Maybe I'm clutching at straws but I'm wondering if it could be a fuel problem ...  thinking of draining the fuel (currently supermarket unleaded) and trying Aspen or a branded premium unleaded.

pfrederi
5 minutes ago, rickm said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll take a look at the other plug (should've done that earlier :-( ) to see if it's cleaner than its brother. 

I had the head off the same cylinder less than 12 ago and gave it a thorough de-coke (it was full of carbon deposits, which I attributed to the broken exhaust valve spring - subsequently replaced).  A new head gasket was fitted at the same time and the valves were also cleaned using valve paste to ensure they seated snugly. All looked good on reassembly. I also reset the tappet clearances to those recommended for the k532s.

I changed the engine oil last week and, although it was very black, there was no obvious evidence of any metal deposits so I'm assuming the internal moving parts are still in a reasonable internal state of repair  

Maybe I'm clutching at straws but I'm wondering if it could be a fuel problem ...  thinking of draining the fuel (currently supermarket unleaded) and trying Aspen or a branded premium unleaded.

If the plugs look the same it might be a fuel quality issue but it would not be my first thought

ebinmaine
Just now, pfrederi said:

If the plugs look the same it might be a fuel quality issue but it would not be my first thought

I agree with Paul.

I would not change gasoline because these engines call for 87 octane normally anyway. One thing you could do is clean out the fuel system and be sure to use ethanol free gasoline but I really don't think that's going to solve your problem, the way it's being described.