GaryRat

WH 1277 Question

GaryRat

Hello,

New guy here and have a question about hydro axle on my newly acquired Wheel Horse 1277.  When I tilt the seat mount sheet metal back, there is a sticker that states to turn the needle valve to push the tractor.  It's not obvious to me where this needle valve is located and I do not want to push the tractor until I do.  It does not run at the moment and I need to get it closer to my shop so that I am near my tools.  I have had a Wheel Horse Charger 12 for about 30 years now and that has a small lever on the transmission that can be turned 180 for driving or pushing, the 1277 has nothing like it.  Can anybody tell me where that needle valve is?

A bit of back story here on the tractors.  The Charger 12 has served me well over the years but is getting tired.  The front wheel bearings are quite sloppy as is the tie rod ends and I messed up the mower deck last year by not tightening the nut enough on one blade after sharpening. The nut backed off and spun on the shaft destroying the threads and now nothing will tighten there.   The deck is quite rusted through as well but the 12hp Kohler ran well and that will be going on the 1277.  I got the 1277 last week from the scrap yard while I was there scrounging for useful metal stock.  A guy had brought it in to scrap while I was there and I talked to him a bit about it.  He said he had recently had the mower deck bearings replaced but then the motor started to smoke badly which he said was to much in his face for him while mowing. I debated then and there about buying it directly from the guy but decided I didn't need another project and I began to strip it for parts - the carb, the starter generator and belt guard, fuel pump and gas tank.  Then I was going to take the deck off but it was so different then what is on the Charger I changed my mind.  So I weighed out and paid for my parts which was $10 but asked the woman who ran the scale if they could load the rest of the tractor for me.  She said no problem so another $90 later I had the whole tractor home.  According to her, it weighs 600 pounds.  So now I need to swap engines or at least run the one on the 1277 to see how bad the smoke is.  A timely acquisition as well as the electric clutch on my Husqvarna YTH 180 just smoked in the middle of doing the front lawn.  This just after replacing the belts so a bit bummed.

I'm looking forward to getting the 1277 operational!

ebinmaine

Well Gary we don't have any hydros around our property and I don't even use a wheel horse to mow so I can't really help you with your questions but I just wanted to say WELCOME TO RED SQUARE.

Not sure where you are in New Hampshire but I'm just over the border, in Maine.

rmaynard

You can look in the manuals section of the forum and download an owners manual for free. 

However, the valve should be between the rear of the transmission and the top of the tool box on the left side (left side while seated).

• Like 2

GaryRat

Thanks for the welcome eb!  I'm on the MA border by Amesbury.

Thanks for that tip rmaynard.  I did try looking for the valve in the manuals part of this forum and was not successful.  I will look again though.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Click pcture for link to manual

tow.JPG

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

@pfrederi 's picture shows the tow valve.  I believe it is a  9/16 hex head that requires an open end wrench due to the tight clearance with the tool box.

BTW,   It is possible to convert the older deck to work on your Charger 12.   

:WRS:

Edited by Ed Kennell

GaryRat

Excellent!  Thanks very much for that picture!  I did see the hex there but didn't think it was a valve of any kind, just a bolt that held something together.

I figured the deck could fit my Charger but decided changing motors would be easier.  The more I think about, I will probably put  all the parts I took off back on the 1277 and see how bad it smokes. 

WHX??

Also some tow valves were converted to a top style valve. Both my 1077's and 1277 were converted like this. Some came from the factory (later '77's ???) like this. Sorry for the lousy pic you may have to zoom in on it for a better look see. I'll check if I have some better pics. This sheet may be in our files as well.

20180330_172537.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

WHX??

My bad

:WRS: 'Rat

953 nut
3 hours ago, GaryRat said:

I got the 1277 last week from the scrap yard while I was there scrounging for useful metal stock.  A guy had brought it in to scrap while I was there and I talked to him a bit about it.

:WRS:

:text-goodpost:                  Seems like the only thing I ever find is old junk appliances.    :text-bravo:   Good score!      :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by 953 nut
  • Haha 1

wfrpalm

You don't remove that bolt, just turn a 1/4 turn and just snug it when you close it. 

• Like 3

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: If it has been sitting, non running for any length of time...

you won't even need to do that.

• Like 1

GaryRat

WHX24 - that is the type on the Charger - easy to deal with and very clear.

Yes, the scrap yard is my favorite place to shop.  I make metal sculptures and get lots of material from there as well as good useful tools and hardware.  

Thanks for all the responses!  It really helps me out and I look forward to getting this thing mowing again!

Edited by GaryRat
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, GaryRat said:

make metal sculptures

Hey hey hey!!!!

Pics!!!!!!

Us 5 year olds want pictures!!!

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

WHX??

Lol...

Your lucky then our scrap yards will not let you pick anything... buddy of ours Dan @Achto saw a couple of nice horses in a scrap yard but before we even could try and save them they were gone to the shredder. :sad-darkcloud: Once stuff hits the ground in our boneyards no money or bribery with whiskey or 12 paks can save it. Dan was  even familiar with the guy that dumped them and the dude knew Dan was into old :wh: that's the really sad part. Back in the old days a six pack would let you have free run.

Sounds like they let you pick and weigh out for scrap price? That's the way to do it ...I see way to much iron getting turned into toasters that I could use in my horse hobby. Angle iron, rims & tires for making sulkies, flat steel for .....ok I'll get off my :soapbox:

• Sad 2

GaryRat

Yes, I am fortunate that the yard lets me pick.  Years ago they stopped pickers from shopping due to potential liability.  I would still bring them scrap and after a few years of that, I was allowed to pick again.  I just do not climb on piles and have to make sure I stay out of the way of the cranes and trucks.  

Attached are a couple of pictures of some sculptures.  The first one is more recent and is made from propane bottles and air compressor tanks.  The other was made from a scrounged piece of plate and some forgings that I was able to make in a shop I used to work at.  It's quite heavy!

100_8547.JPG

100_8550.JPG

• Excellent 5

ebinmaine

Cool stuff there!

Boy would you be handy if somebody wanted an Implement made up from scratch.

GaryRat

Yes, having the equipment and being able to weld is handy, and a curse.  I bring home to much stuff because "I can fix that".

Here are pics of the new to me 1277 minus the parts I took off at the scrap yard.  Overall in nice shape I think.  I think I want some floor boards on it and maybe a little more fender.

100_4779.JPG

100_4780.JPG

Edited by GaryRat
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
On 8/13/2019 at 3:18 PM, GaryRat said:

Excellent!  Thanks very much for that picture!  I did see the hex there but didn't think it was a valve of any kind, just a bolt that held something together.

I figured the deck could fit my Charger but decided changing motors would be easier.  The more I think about, I will probably put  all the parts I took off back on the 1277 and see how bad it smokes. 

Opps  :WRS:    Gary what did the oil look like in the 1277. If real black unchanged for a long while. Try changing it a few times. Motor honey also helps. I have had a few smokers in my time. Enjoy the ride.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher

GaryRat

The oil in the 1277 looks like liquid coal - very black.  If I'm going to run it with the motor on it, changing it is in order.  And that leads to another question, non detergent or detergent and what weight?  I forget what I used in the Charger.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, GaryRat said:

The oil in the 1277 looks like liquid coal - very black.  If I'm going to run it with the motor on it, changing it is in order.  And that leads to another question, non detergent or detergent and what weight?  I forget what I used in the Charger.

The use and choice of your favorite engine oil is a topic for contention amongst engine enthusiasts.

I believe the Kohler Engine spec is straight 30 HD WITH detergent above freezing and 10 w 30 below

• Like 1

bottjernat1

To move it turn the top bolt just a 1/4 turn out its between the tool box and tranny. I just figured this out on my daughters 875 wheelhorse. you can only use the open end of a wrench to get it. 

bottjernat1

I also have some parts for the deck and front axel l parted out a 1277 a few months ago. im from avilla indiana if you need some help or parts you can pm me on here or threw facebook. I am on here alot and facebook.