mooman3121

854 or ???

mooman3121

Hi all! I just recently picked up this old tractor and I am not sure that it is a 854 as the owner claimed. I have seen pics of 854 gas tanks on here and the dash board looks different than mine. Please take a look at my pics and let me know what this might be and what the engine might be, and if I have the correct mower deck.  it looks to be all original to me but even the engine plate was all painted over and faded. Thanks!

IMG_3347.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3349.JPG

IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

IMG_3352.JPG

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

• Like 4

CasualObserver

Serial tag starts with 62... they only did that in 1962 and used the tags up in early 63, Flat front frame /front axle mount indicates 1962... and it has a Kohler. If original engine... you have a 702. If engine was replaced... could have been a 552 or 702.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Sure looks like a 702.

Do you have the drive belt guard for the transmission? Necessary for the clutch to work.

Click on the picture.

Garry

• Like 4

stevasaurus

Definitely a 702...1962.  That serial number fall in-between my 502 and 702.  The spec # 28626E is correct for the K161S 7 hsp Kohler.  Also correct seat for the 702.  Correct steering wheel also.  I also think that mower deck is also right for that horse.  You do need a belt guard to make it drive-able.  The guard funnels the slack toward the engine drive pulley when you step on the clutch.  This stops the transmission input pulley so you can shift the transmission with out grinding the gears.  Nice find.  :occasion-xmas:

edit...not the correct steering wheel...I stand corrected  :banana-linedance:

• Like 5

mooman3121

Ok thanks stevasaurus for all the info! I just got the old girl fired up and she ran darn good for not having the carb cleaned yet! no knocks and no smoke- yes I am aware that I will have to find that belt guard for it and put some new rubber on the front before it's drivable. Hopefully finding that belt guard  doesn't prove to be a daunting task! I am very happy with the find thus far- especially for the price I paid for it! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

mooman3121

Well folks it appears I need a drive belt guard for this newly acquired 702. Please let me know if you can where to track one down- Thanks!

ACman
3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Correct steering wheel also.  

:angry-nono:....that looks like a C-series steering wheel. Should have a three spoke . It does however have the correct 1962 one year only starter/generator belt guard (flat ...no bump on s/g end) and the lift lever has detent not the dial adjust that came in 63 . 

Get a a good picture of the dealership sticker and see if it’s listed and/or add picture to the dealership list thread.

6A6CF5F6-74A4-4E95-8770-6979AD6BB0A9.jpeg

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

stevasaurus

Jeff is correct about the steering wheel.  It is the same one I have on my 702, but the correct one is on my 502 in the second picture.  Thanks @ACman

2008_0723roundhood70219620004.JPG

2008_0822502wheelhorse19620011.JPG

• Like 2

WHX??
57 minutes ago, mooman3121 said:

need a drive belt guard for this newly acquired 702

Put an ad in wanted classifies Moo... pretty popular model in RS here so someone is bound to have one. 753 and other models may work too. I think it should be mandatory every one here should have a 702! :)

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

mooman3121

Thanks want ad is already posted! - Love your profile pic!

• Thanks 1

mooman3121

thanks for pointing out the steering wheel issue- I knew it was not the right one from the start, as they had NO padded wheels back then! LOL!

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-thankyouyellow: Moo... steering wheel is not a big issue here. That style ends up on alot of tractors so we get it. Sad news is a orginal is scarce as hens teeth. BUT if you wanted an orginal and you endeavor to find one you might just get lucky ther too. No matter any of us here would be glad for have that tractor in our herd! :)

BTW the tractor in my avatar is indeed a 702 also. Bought it from @Shynon for a song and a prayer and tried to pull with it once just for the halibut! Traction was not a problem! Photo credit to @Achto

Check out the pull tenders facial expression! I was thinkin now steady big fella!

DSCN2075-min.JPG.db42c0af97306078aa60ec537a2d9eac (1)-1.JPG

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

mooman3121

LOL! AWESOME! Thanks for the feedback- really appreciate the support and info from everyone here! 

• Like 1

WHX??

Your more than  :text-welcomewave:  Moo....

• Like 1