Ralph S

lightening the310-8 for the transfer sled

Ralph S

I've been pulling a stone boat in the 1500 lbs. Class and have it dialed in competing with anything from 10Hp to 25 up tractors and winning most of the events. Now I'm stripping weights of to get down to 950 lbs for the 10 HP class and 1000 lbs. Class to go against 14-18 HP tractors. I've read to weigh down the front and lower the hitch to 10". I'm just wondering how I want to optimize the distribution of the weights I can stack on. I'm welcoming all comments.

20190807_191123.jpg

20190510_172456_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

Ralph S

The bottom is the before weighing in at 1500. The top is the beginning of stripping the weights off. I started with changing out the loaded front and rear tires out with straight up air filled tires. I still have to ahead off 400 lbs. Here is the different rear tires. The left is a firestone with air and the right one is a loaded tire

20190807_191924.jpg

Edited by Ralph S

roadapples

I've never done any pulling myself but was told that weight on wheels robs power....

bc.gold
10 minutes ago, roadapples said:

I've never done any pulling myself but was told that weight on wheels robs power....

Colin and his father farm 12,000 acres and have a lot of different tractors, asked if I could borrow the wet valve adapter to fill my tires with calcium chloride. This is when Colin told me gave up the practice when it was determined to rob power and fuel economy.

They have been using wheel and suitcase weights with improvements in both areas, power and fuel economy.

Ralph S

I haven't had any issues with loss of power yet, with loaded tires and wheel weights. Fuel economy isnt an issue either, when your pulling 25' at a time. Alyhough yall may be on to something that I was over looking. Thanks for the enlightenment.

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
On 8/7/2019 at 10:27 PM, roadapples said:

weight on wheels robs power....

Not sure if farming is different from pulling but there's a line to drawn there.

It does use power to move weight. That's an unavailable law of physics.

I have filled tires on Cinnamon Horse and I Love them.

Fluid takes LESS power to move because it is literally in constant flow and requires much less energy to create centrifugal force needed to begin movement of a solid.

Fluid is also creating a more even and constant down pressure by squeezing the tires to the ground.

Proper ballasting is a science all in itself.

There needs to be some slip for the tractor drivetrain to operate correctly.

@bcgold your friend probably found the right amount of weight by removing the ballast but I DISAGREE that FLUID removal helped.

Here's a couple interesting reads...

https://farm-energy.extension.org/ballasting-tractors-for-optimal-fuel-efficiency/

https://farm-energy.extension.org/optimize-wheel-slip-to-save-fuel/

ebinmaine

As for WHERE to remove the weight from...

Again, not sure if farming or forestry is different from pulling...

There are ratios in the article that describe how to properly distribute front to rear.

Keeping in mind that a pulling tractor in motion often has the fronts off the ground it makes sense to me to keep more weight to the front.

RandyLittrell

I would say dead weight pulling and tranfer sled are way different. I wish I could help, nothing but tranfer sled pulling around here. Looks like your setup is very different from what I have run. 

Randy

Ralph S

I think I have it dialed in for the 1000 lbs. class for transfer sled. Man ! My tractor looks naked without all the weight I had on it. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TonyToro

How’s your tractor coming? My son is the driver and I’m just the wrench/sponsor. Lol

Have you pulled yet with all the weight reduction? 

We have lots of rules to follow in our club like, nothing can stick out  further than 1” from the sidewall of the tire, no cut tires in the lower horse power classes, no AG tires unless original to the machine, etc...

I am am still moving weight around on our 3 tractors. I have 2 with wheel weights on the Garden stock 950lb class. This class is also speed limited to 2.5mph so weighted wheels isn’t an issue. If you don’t have a speed restriction, from what I have been told it’s best to put the weight under the axle. A couple guys also have their tires liquid filled. 

Now I’m on the search for adjustable engine side pulleys. With Wheel Horses we cant change gear sets like the cubs but the engine pulley is where we can change mph for track conditions.