Jake0030

been a long while, but need help, 312-8 won't run

953 nut
1 hour ago, Jake0030 said:

took the spark plug out,

Did you crank the engine over with the plug out and plug wire attached  to see if you have spark?

Jake0030

Thanks, guys. One of those days... Well pressure switch stopped working again and the nest of bumble bees that tolerated me yesterday, weren't having it today. I did learn one thing, a nest of bumble bees is far easier to kill than a nest of wasps. As I figured, there was break in one of the wires that couldn't be seen under the plastic coating. Cut, stripped, reapplied to switch, voilà, I have water again.

As far as the tractor, yeah, i think its time to pull the carb. I can't find anything electrical. The plug is sparking, but it's dry as a bone. Time to get my hands dirty.

Edited by Jake0030
additional info

Jake0030

its not the fuel injector, spitting/more like spraying gas just fine. Gotta be the carb, but once it's checked, I'm going to get a new plug anyway, spark wasn't to impressive when checked.

Jake0030

Carb is clean as a whistle, yet cylinder under spark plug is dry. Your recommendations gentlemen?

Jake0030

Ok, Neighbor called it correct, something called vapor lock. Took off air filter, put my hand over carb intake, and she started right up. Next problem, engaging pto shuts down the tractor, that has to be a relay anyone know where that is?

gwest_ca

When the tractor is running with the pto OFF the ignition is controlled by one of the pto switches. When the pto is turned on that pto switch transfers the ignition to the seat switch. Operator falls out of seat with pto ON engine quits.

Check the seat switch.

Garry

• Like 1

Jake0030

Found the relay for pto. Don't know how to bypass it. I bypassed the seat switch, guess I'll try unbypassing  it.

gwest_ca

Unbypassing the seat switch will likely fix it if you have magneto ignition.

Garry

Jake0030

Yup, If i handn't messed with the seat switch, the pto would have run fine. I mangled that switch pretty good, but figured out the correct way to bypass, just connect orange and green and leave black away. So in the end, Carb vape freeze or whatever it's called was the problem. Just had to remove air filter and loosely hold gloved hand over carb intake to fix the problem. Thank You to everyone for helping. Now I have to go mow another 3 acres. Still love my wheel horse. Have a good one everyone- I'll try not be such a stranger.

:thanks: :text-thankyouyellow: :thanks:

Edited by Jake0030
thanks
  • Like 1

posifour11

Could have been a little bit of dirt in the needle or passages that dislodged when extra suction was created by your hand.