Horsegeezer

Need 416-8 Electrical help...

Bmaui24

I just had similar issues on my 416H Onan and ended up checking through the wire harness and found many wires melted through. I rewired the burned wires, one by one, and got it to turn over. Had to replace fuel pump but runs like a champ. 

953 nut

The only :wh: I own that is new enough to have a Start Relay is my 310-8. Here is a picture of the relays. The two relays are the same and there is a light blue wire going from rhe start relay to the starter solenoid. Hope this is helpful.

Relays.jpg.17bed9ab7d3d57faf1fbe17cb24a8bf0.jpg

Horsegeezer
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The only :wh: I own that is new enough to have a Start Relay is my 310-8. Here is a picture of the relays. The two relays are the same and there is a light blue wire going from rhe start relay to the starter solenoid. Hope this is helpful.

Relays.jpg.17bed9ab7d3d57faf1fbe17cb24a8bf0.jpg

Thanx, chief, but the only similarity between your horse and mine is the solenoid.  There are no relays in an Onan-engined 416-8 that I can find.  Solenoid looks the about the same but in a different location.  Today I gave the battery a real good charge (12.8v) and cleaned up the clutch safety switch.  Not a job I want to repeat--can't remove the switch without removing main drive belt idler pulley, so had to fumble around from inside the tunnel to remove and clean switch contacts.  Hope that does it for that component as it would be a bear to change--provided I can get a new one as it is a discontinued product.

• Thanks 1

biged77

I was able to refurbish the clutch switch by disassembling it, sanding the internal contacts, and reassembling.  The plastic housing snaps together, may have to put a spot of glue when reassembling.  May want to consider if you can't find a new one and are sure the switch is bad by checking with an ohmmeter.  

Ed

Horsegeezer

Thanx Ed.  Been away from the project for a couple of days but hope to get at it again tomorrow.