DDK319

414-8 Gear Oil, Shift Boot and Low Range Questions

DDK319

Hi All,

I have a 414-8, 80's model (no Toro stickers, not sure of the exact year).  When I bought it about a year ago, it had been sitting for quite a while, and went into and out of low range no problem to get it into the truck.  However, since I got it home, I have been unable to get it into low range.  This is a bit of a pain when using it to snowblow, so I'd like to fix that issue this summer.  The mower deck is currently at the welder getting rot repaired, so I decided now is the time.  Since the gear oil looks rough anyway I figure the first step is a flush (or two) and some new fluid.  Also a new shift boot (mine is split).

With the backstory out of the way, on to my questions:

1) What is the correct weight and quantity of gear oil?  I plan to flush with 2 quarts of diesel.  I have seen 80/90 gear oil and 90/140 gear oil suggested.  It's been mid 90's the past few days, but I snowblow with it also.  I can swap for winter if I need to.

2 Any easy way to verify my year by serial number?  A search found some links to serial number lookups, but the links I found were dead.  Hopefully once I have a year I can find parts diagrams and breakdowns.

3) Anyone know the part number for the shifter boot?  I'd like to get that on order ASAP.

Thanks!

Dan

• Like 1

stevasaurus

You should be able to use straight 90 wt gear oil year round in Mass.  Your trans should take 1 1/2 to 2 qts.

414-8s were made in years 1986 model # 31-14K801...1987 MODEL # 31-14K802...1988 MODEL # 31-K803...1989 MODEL # 31-14K804

Dust cover (boot) is #3577   :occasion-xmas:

The hi/low range relies on a shift fork that slides a fork gear between 2 other gears.  You may have bent or broke this fork.  If so, you have to open the trans to fix it.  It is possible that things just aren't lined up just right.  Try rocking the horse while trying to shift into low.  It is important, that you do not try to force things.  If you do break that fork, it could get caught between gears and cause more damage.  Flushing with diesel and new oil may help also.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

:wwp:

gwest_ca

1986 used Kohler K321 engine.

1987-89 used Kohler M14 engine. 

Post all the numbers you can find and we can likely ID the tractor model number.

Garry

• Like 2

peter lena

use a razor blade to cut off old shiftier boot , use SILICONE GREASE to install the new one, on shaft and boot hole, very easy , pete

DDK319

Thank you all very much for the info!  Could anyone tell me the correct part number for the blades for a 42in rear discharge?  The ones I bought on amazon have 3/8 holes, not 3/4.  Bummer, because now getting the new blades will likely be the holdup when the deck gets back from welding.  I'm tempted to try to drill out the holes on the ones I got, but I am concerned about them going out of balance.  I have a stepped bit I could use at low speed, and then just bore it smooth with a 3/4 bit once I have stepped it to about that diameter.  Bad idea?  I don't mind returning these and getting new ones if I can find the right part #.

Everything else is coming together great!

Pics are tough because she's on a lift in my garage draining the rear end fluid.  I attached a couple pics of the label on the engine, and one in the garage.

Thanks All!!

Dan

20190724_183906.jpg.37e958b98f965b14313feab0305c80fc.jpg20190724_202440.jpg.34085661ff09e8dda61eb47268804763.jpg20190724_181736.jpg.82d1ba67ad54c062c9b576ad6f62936a.jpg

• Like 1

pfrederi

Blades are very tough steel i think you step bit would not be up to the job.

Blade set WH # 106635  or Stens 350108 (but they are single so you need 3)

blade.JPG

DDK319

Thank you pfrederi!  The Stens are available with next day shipping on Amazon Prime, so they should still be here about the same time as I get the deck back (which will be tomorrow or Monday).  Much appreciated!

Edit:  Aw nuts.  Only one Stens left and I need 3.  Back to the search!

Edited by DDK319

bottjernat1

I recommend stens products my late dad was a stens dealer. I have lots of stens parts now. not very many blades tho. other parts engine parts you name it. Only thing is i wish they would let you buy items in bulk without being a dealer! I have tried to i repair stuff for folks now that my dad is gone I dont want to be a dealer until i get a house. But i could use like air filters and oil filters in bulk. i have some now but have had a few times where have a steady supply would be nice

DDK319

bottjernat1, good to know about the parts, bummer on the dealer status. I just ordered 3 sterns blades from ebay, guaranteed to be here Tuesday.  I suppose I can wait that long to mow again!

gwest_ca

According to the info we have available your tractor is a 1987 model 31-14K802. The engine was made in 1986 and landed on a 1987 model tractor.

The 601524 spec number was used on the 1987 model only.

Click on the pictures

Garry