wholdguy

Mowing adventures with the old Wheel Horse

wholdguy

I have found that mowing the lawn with our old Wheel Horse ( 1970 Charger 12, Tecumseh) is always an adventure and I guess that's what I like about them.

The mower deck is the 42" side discharge. 

So recently the vibration of this machine caused one of the Bolts on the left side that lift the deck to work loose and drop off in the yard someplace and I never found it.  But the trusty ACE had what I needed to get it going again.

The next thing to work loose a week later was that large plastic knob on the left side connected to the deck lifting lever arm.  It fell off in the yard, but after walking around everywhere, I found the lost pieces.  Again the trusty ACE had a large nut that I put on the keep that knob locked in place.

The next week I mowed all went well.

But then this afternoon while mowing, I ran the deck too close to the fabric in my garden fence and the left blade snagged it.  I stopped the blades as fast as possible, but the fabric was wrapped all around the one blade spindle.  So using a box cutter and crawling under the deck I cleared it out.  So I thought all was well, but I started up and went about 30 feet and the belt flew off the mower/motor pulley.   But, I removed the belt cover from the mower and the belt was not damaged so I put it back on.  I left the belt cover off so I could watch it.  I spent another hour mowing then with no more problems.

I wonder what the next mowing session will bring next week?  Am I the only one running an old one and having all these adventures?

G.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

troutbum70

I have had a few surprises over the years and they always seemed to happen when I did not have time for fixing, just needed to get mowing done hi hi.

Retired Wrencher

It is always good to have a back up tractor. So you will never get caught like this. Enjoy the mowing.

953 nut

Consider the alternative. You could be mowing with a Big Box Store piece of junk and have to go buy another one when it broke rather than a couple of trips to Ace!

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib
38 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Consider the alternative. You could be mowing with a Big Box Store piece of junk and have to go buy another one when it broke rather than a couple of trips to Ace!

:text-yeahthat:

wallfish
11 hours ago, wholdguy said:

Am I the only one running an old one and having all these adventures?

My mower is a 1965 and don't seem to have all of the fun adventures you have. BUT, the adventures always come when it's freezing cold out and removing snow. Especially when some idiot keeps throwing those stupid crappy advertisement newspapers in the driveway before snow storms so I can find that little  hidden treasure with the blower.

• Haha 4

Lee1977

You should remove that blade to get all the fabric out.  I mow the side of the highway in front of mt property. I don't under stand how some one lost about 60 foot of fishing line on the side of the road .

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

squonk
4 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

You should remove that blade to get all the fabric out.  I mow the side of the highway in front of mt property. I don't under stand how some one lost about 60 foot of fishing line on the side of the road .

Mufflers, hose clamps, mail box parts, Red Bull cans, grill grates, tarp straps,tillers,baby toys. And that’s just the stuff I remember!

• Haha 1

Pullstart

I swear our yard is the only one in the 1.5 mile stretch between stop signs that people decide they’re done with their booze, beer and Mickey D’s all at the same time!

WHNJ701

your forgetting the 10 thousand fireball single shot bottles that along the road 

• Thanks 1