ebinmaine

UPDATED with pics.... How do you restrain your horses during transport without scratching paint?

ebinmaine

Two or three times a year we throw a horse or two into the utility trailer and go to a show or gathering.

I've had mixed results with the nylon web straps. We did a little better this past trip by putting washcloths wherever they touched paint, when I remembered.

My straps are getting worn anyways and I need to buy some new ones so I'm wondering what do you all do to strap down tractors to a pickup or trailer without rubbing off the paint?

Edited by ebinmaine
Added pics of straps

squonk

Pullstart

I try to use the 3/8” holes in the frame, or quick attach brackets for a tie down point whenever possible.  There’s also some the use of a good strap over a tire to limit movement on the trailer...

• Like 3

19richie66

I have something I started on and will finish it after I get moved to my son’s house(temporary housing). I have a 5/8” rod and will weld 3/8” chain links to the ends. These will snap right into the tachamatic brackets. Hook your straps to the chain links and cinch it down. (Unless you have an attachment on your tractor)

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

I have replaced the 3/8" bolt that secures the front axle pivot pin with a welded eye bolt that allows me to strap the front end without touching the paint. At the rear I use the trailer hitch.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Howie

I use the straps that go over the tire on my Raider 12, D-ring in the floor behind tire pulls front tires 

against the front of my trailer. On my Lawn Ranger put a rag over the foot rest bar and pull back 

tires against front rail on trailer with ratchet strap. The ones i have are a lot thicker material than 

the cheap ones out there.

JAinVA

Ratchet straps work well for me.I like the ones with a thick plastic coating on the hooks.I will wrap the straps around the front axle.The plastic hooks work good on the rear hitch verticles.I hate scuffing the paint but would rather touch it up rather than have further damage from a loose load.Of couse mine are workers and not show tractors but I still want them presentable.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

A local member here uses the holes in the front angle frame to permanently put two front side eye bolts on his RJ. He has a piece of flat bar that goes in the rear hitch with a hole in it for a rear strap.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Lots of great ideas here folks.

Thanks and keep em coming....

Retired Wrencher

Eric when I had my enclosed trailer and had tractors that where repainted I used a thick towel for contact points. Did this for years. Enjoy the summer.

Achto

I hook one strap to the 3/4" bar for the foot rests in between the frame rails to tie forward. Even if the paint gets scratched, you will never see it there. For the rear I hook into the hitch. If the tractor does not have a hitch then I will attach around the axel. 

I will only use SmartStraps brand for my garden tractors, they have a good buckle that a person can get their hand in. They also have one end set up to hook back into it's self to form a loop, this keeps the metal hook away from the paint.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/automotive/towing-cargo-management/straps-tie-downs/smartstraps-reg-ratchet-x-reg-10-x-1-orange-straps-2-pack/340/p-1444447122636-c-14203.htm?tid=-2619218258765659458&ipos=70  

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have a wooden deck on my trailer so I screw 2x4 behind the back wheels of tractors and run the front wheels tight against the tractor in front of it. That really keeps them from moving around. Then, I use the regular nylon ratchet straps and put rubber under the straps against the paint. Works like a charm. I'll post a link below to the exact kind of material I use.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/86528429?cid=ppc-google-New+-+Exclusive+Brands+-+PLA_sUJmY0GEK___334980939503_c_S&mkwid=sUJmY0GEK|dc&pcrid=334980939503&rd=k&product_id=86528429&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1MC7nsXN4wIVjp-fCh2HaQqWEAYYBCABEgKXOvD_BwE

• Like 1

wallfish
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Lots of great ideas here folks.

Thanks and keep em coming....

I don't do any trailer queens so the paint doesn't matter that much LoL.  Plus I don't need to buy any diapers to wipe them down with, Win Win

But, I do the same as Dan does and use the 3/4 foot rest bar between the frame rails and use the rear hitch.

@19richie66 's idea of using a bar in the tach a matics is a good one and fairly easy to make something for it. If someone doesn't have a welder they can always drill holes in the 5/8 bar and bolt on eye hooks.

• Like 1

WHNJ701
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

I try to use the 3/8” holes in the frame, or quick attach brackets for a tie down point whenever possible.  There’s also some the use of a good strap over a tire to limit movement on the trailer...

I thought you just pile them all up in the back of your truck!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, jabelman said:

I thought you just pile them all up in the back of your truck!!

Pile, then restrain!  

• Like 1

Lee1977

If you used the mid tack-a-matic I would also put a pin with clip pin in the hole to secture it. I never had a problem with the tack-a-matic untill it got old but I lost the deck twice with in thirdy minuets one hot afternoon. I guess the spring is weak but I have just used the pin every since.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Just wanted to share what I found for straps.

Under $20 per set.

These are from Zoro .com

IMG_20190817_143543662.jpg.3cbf6277e4e57db97d20f8a823385a79.jpg

• Like 3