sergt3

deck preference

sergt3

don't know what the difference is but which do you guys prefer a side discharge or rear discharge..im sure there is a reason they made both....:confusion-confused:

ebinmaine

We don't even use any of our wheel horses to mow. We have nearly no lawn. I use an older snapper push mower.

that said, I'm curious to see what everybody else is going to say so I'm going to follow along....

• Haha 1

adsm08

A side discharge deck shooting the clippings out the side of the deck, usually leaving them in a distinct line of clippings along the path the mower followed.

A rear discharge deck has the rear open and blows the clippings out the back, usually leaving a nice even layer of clippings where ever it goes.

I have found that I prefer a rear discharge deck. I don't have or mess with baggers, and I don't like the lines of clippings that get left in the yard from a side discharge deck, I do like the even and cleaner look a rear discharge deck leaves. 

The big downsides to an RD deck are that you can't hook a bagger to it, and if you hit something big, like a rock or a chunk of cinder block or something, it can be thrown out the rear of the deck and damage the axle. But you also don't get clippings blown back in your face if you mow while it is windy.

The Tuul Crib

I like both. The side discharge i great for me when it comes time to round up

leaves. The rear discharge makes the lawn look more even. 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs:

• Like 1

pfrederi

My rear discharge leaves two windrows one on each side not evenly spread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

adsm08
4 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

What size is it, and is the middle blocked off?

I have an RM-327 which is about the smallest deck WH ever used, and it is open the whole way along the back, and leaves a single even trail.

ol550
11 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

:text-yeahthat:

pfrederi
26 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

What size is it, and is the middle blocked off?

I have an RM-327 which is about the smallest deck WH ever used, and it is open the whole way along the back, and leaves a single even trail.

Rm-366 wide open across the back

Edited by pfrederi

adsm08
22 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Rm-366 wide open across the back

Might be because the blades are so far apart. That's bigger than mine.

midpack

I've tried every configuration except 60" SD.

my favorite this year... I thought was going to be the 42" RD I got last fall. 

But having hooked up the 48" SD makes me think twice. Great cut and I can really fly when mowing! 

Only drawback is my tow behind sweeper doesnt work that well with it.

Sooo...  to answer the OP.... whatever one is mounted and has gas in the tractor! (Those big bores can be thirsty)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

troutbum70

I can't speak for other makes of tractors, I bought my WH 417 new with a rear discharge and I hated it for 20 years. So when I had it wore out I bought a brand new 42 inch side discharge deck for the 417 and I will never go back to a rear discharge. The only thing a rear discharge has to offer for me is the ability to mow in either direction to avoid going in a circle. No matter how I adjusted the RD it always wind rowed the grass behind the tractor and because of the layout of my property and obstacle's pulling a sweeper was not an option.  So your question brings on a lot of opinions and probably makes it difficult for you to decide which to go with. Good luck

Darb1964

I like the rear because you can cut close on both sides,saves time. I used one for many years. I have for the last few years use a side with a bagger and feed the clipping to my wife's chickens,goats,geese,and turkeys. Side is nice for leaves in the fall also. I never worried much about the wind rows.

• Like 1

roadapples

Don't like the way a RD packs the grass on the left rear wheel...

• Like 3

midpack
6 hours ago, roadapples said:

Don't like the way a RD packs the grass on the left rear wheel...

I noticed the hydro cooling fan doing that, no prob with an 8 speed. I did make sure to clear that after every mow

Pullstart

I have only ever used an RD on a WH.  The cut is nice, if I move slow on full rpm’s.  The clippings always seemed to center in the middle of the cut, leaving horrendous stripes in the yard.  Maybe if I cut more often, that wouldn’t be the case... but once a week is my max.  On my 32” deck that came with Putt Putt, currently on The Polished Turd, I closed off the front with an 1/8” plate.  It kept the clippings away from the engine, but the transmission and inside the rear wheels was always coated.  When I upgraded to the C-101 with a 42” RD, the clippings never bothered the engine as much, but covered from the shifter to the hitch, always creating a huge mess.  

Now, I cut with a 52” SD Scag Freedom Z zero turn and love how the clippings scatter about in the yard.  I can still hook the sweeper up during the rainy season when grass seems to grow inches per day and make passes with a WH when I’m finished mowing.  Chickens sure love all the clippings coming to them in the spring and early summer!

Recently I picked up that GT-1600 with a 42” SD and I’m itching to get some practice seat time on that one, just for comparison to other mowers I’ve run.

lynnmor

I have a 42" RD that is wide open, the windrow is to the right and is a real problem.  I no longer use it except for fall cleanup while pulling a sweeper.  Until this season, I used a 60" deck and it performed well.  In order to take the load off the horses, I bought a 60" zero turn this year.

edgro

I have been mowing with a SD, then use  RD with sweeper for cleanup if needed

Tonyp

I use both a different times. I have  3  machines, two have decks , one a rear and one a side. When there is a lot of "stuff" on the lawn I use  the side discharge to corral  the STUFF. Always blowing and cutting in the same direction. 

My wife uses a 315-8 with a rear discharge, she loves it, she goes over and over the clippings !  I think its some kind of therapy for her ! :)

ronhatch

3 years ago I bought a 1979 C 101 with a RD 36" deck.  I restored the tractor (what a mess underneath it due to the deck) and traded a guy even up, believe it or not, for a older 42" SD deck. I wasn't happy with the way it threw a third of clippings out the front and didn't do a good job of spreading them evenly out the side either. So, I installed a stainless steel baffle that followed the front curve of the deck BUT extended down about 1" lower  then the deck and it also had a small inward curving lip.  What a difference!  No clippings blowing out the front, instead they all blew out the side in a more forceful and evenly spread stream.  By replacing the deck wheels with boat trailer rollers, I can't tell the difference between mowing with  my WH or my B-10 AC (Simplicity). They both make my lawn look like a ball park. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Like 1

roadapples
4 hours ago, Tonyp said:

4 hours ago, Tonyp said:

My wife uses a 315-8 with a rear discharge, she loves it, she goes over and over the clippings !  I think its some kind of therapy for her ! :)

Seat time.....

AHS

I’ve always been a fan a the RD. First on a C101 with a 36” now with a different one, a 14hp with a 42”. They always work good.keep the blades sharp and you’ll have no problem.