Gordyhogg

1989 312-8 bad axle bearing help!

Gordyhogg

Hello im new to this site. I have a 68 commando 8 ive had since the winter and has been a great tractor up until recently it decided to quit on me right after mowing...but thatll be a later project. So last week i picked up a 1989 312-8 for $550 in decent shape with a 48" deck. I noticed the left side axle seal leaking so this weekend i replaced it and upon doing so noticed a little play in the axle not horrible but it was there. Knowing this was probably going to happen i replaced the seal anyways (got it from napa) hoping for the best. the new seal took up the little play in the axle and i mowed with it. Afterwards i noticed it seeping a little and now i understand the bearing is probaby bad enough to need replacing. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to go about doing this and where to source the correct parts and any other things i should do while im in there? By the way it has the 1" axles. Help is much appreciated! Thanks!

20190716_184327.jpg

Edited by Gordyhogg

The Tuul Crib

Unfortunatly the the trans will have to 

be split open to replace the bearings .

@stevasaurus has great step by step 

on that . I believe someone here can 

get you the bearings.   Good luck! 

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

pfrederi

There are two bearings on the axle.  Usually it is the outer needle bearing that fails.  For seals and bearing #s check the pinned post at the top of this section.

Here is link to how to video

• Like 1

Gordyhogg

Thanks tool crib! Thats what i figured id have to do. Ill check out his page n see if i can find it. I sure appreciate it!:greetings-clappingyellow::D

• Like 1

Gordyhogg

Thanks pfrederi! Im assuming the 4 speed is ver similar to the 8 speed as far as this process goes right?

pfrederi
16 minutes ago, Gordyhogg said:

Thanks pfrederi! Im assuming the 4 speed is ver similar to the 8 speed as far as this process goes right?

Yes

oliver2-44

To make the transmission job a little easier many of drain the gear oil, then fill them with gear oil and drive them around for 5 -10 minutes. Then drain diesel and you have a lot cleaner transmission internally when your disassemble it.

Here's the manual for your transmission

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/Transmissions/Transmission_6-8SpeedMechanicalTransmissionServiceManual_A-1392.pdf

here's one of our great vendors that has all your transmission parts.

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/about-us.html

stevasaurus

For the 8 speed trans with 1" axles...KOYO or Torrington B-1616 for the outer axle bearings.  SKF 9815 for the axle seals.  NAPA, Motion Industries, etc. carry these.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Gordyhogg

Thanks guys! Aside from this issue...do yall think i got a good deal? The tractor has 1300 hrs on it but runs great. Im not sure what its worth exactly but he was asking $700 but i taked him down to $550 because of the axle leak. He claims the motor was rebuilt at around 1000 hrs but no proof. 

Edited by Gordyhogg
  • Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

You paid a very reasonable price for the 312.  A :wh: will outlast any of the big box mowers you could buy and the throw-away mowers cost three times as much as you paid. While you have the transmission out you can inspect all the bearings and replace all four seals. The posts @stevasaurus has under the topic https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/144-transmissions/ are a tremendous help.        :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

When you figure that a new push mower can run over $400...you get to ride this one.  Plus it will move snow with a blade or blower on it.  I would be a little cautious about that engine being re-built with no receipts for labor or parts.  Change the oil on it and look it over good...keep a watchful eye on it for a while.  :occasion-xmas:  Make sure you keep grass from building up under the engine tins...or mice nests.

• Like 2

Gordyhogg

Will do for sure! I really aporeciate all the helpful info guys. Now when i go to replace the needle bearings...do the ball bearings have to come out in order to get them out? And whats the best way to remove them and install new ones? Is there a thread or video on here about that?

Gordyhogg

Also i cleaned the carb out yesterday and it idles beautifully now. Before it would die on low throttle. Now i have 2 problems...one, they key will not kill the engine (and i cleaned the pins on the back of the ignition cylinder) and two, if i restart the engine after its been shut down it backfires very loudly out of the exhaust. Any thoughts? :scratchead:

pfrederi

Make sure the ignition switch body is grounded.  Check for continuity between it and the battery - terminal. I You have a magneto system to stop it the ignition switch grounds the magneto.  In the off position there should be continuity between the M terminal of the switch and ground.

Backfire.  If the switch isn't stopping it how are you shutting it down?  If you do it by choking then there is a gas build up that will detonate on restart.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Gordyhogg
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Make sure the ignition switch body is grounded.  Check for continuity between it and the battery - terminal. I You have a magneto system to stop it the ignition switch grounds the magneto.  In the off position there should be continuity between the M terminal of the switch and ground.

Backfire.  If the switch isn't stopping it how are you shutting it down?  If you do it by choking then there is a gas build up that will detonate on restart.

Thanks! Ill have to check that out...my spark plug wire is missing the rubber boot so ive been using a screw driver to ground it to the top of the motor.

stevasaurus

To tap out the axle bearings, you do not have to remove the #1533 ball bearing...you can use a good punch and a ball peen hammer to remove and replace the bearing and seal.  You can also find the right size socket and put an extension in the socket from the inside and use the back side as an arbor.  :occasion-xmas:

702 transmission 015.jpg

Gordyhogg

Thank you @stevasaurus i still have to tear the tractor apart and get this thing opened up. Ive already sourced the needle bearings and two more new seals from napa. Hopefully i wont have to order any more bearings etc; any idea which transmission this is and where i can find a case gasket? I think and hope thatll be the last piece to the puzzle...Also my flat pulley on my mule drive is completely toast and my shifter boot is too and i have those on the way from ebay :cool:

Edited by Gordyhogg

pfrederi

8 speed transaxle case gasket WH# 3912  Still available from Toro

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Your transmission should be a #110995...4 pinion with 1" axles.  :occasion-xmas:  That TORO gasket is about $6.00

Gordyhogg

This look correct?

Screenshot_20190729-171028_Chrome.jpg

stevasaurus

That would be it.  :occasion-xmas:

Burnerman
On 7/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, Gordyhogg said:

This look correct?

Screenshot_20190729-171028_Chrome.jpg

Great source for trans parts! 

Gordyhogg

Finally tore it apart. Found there were a couple more bearimgs bad than i thought. Anybody know the part numbers for these? One is the big inner axle bearing and the other is where i believe the mushroom gear sits? (I think thats what its called) and yes, thats how i found them...broken/ and or completely missing...drained all the loose needle bearings with the oil.

20191207_182804.jpg

20191207_182759.jpg

20191207_133643.jpg

Edited by Gordyhogg
  • Sad 1

Gordyhogg

Thanks! Do you recommend i replace both 1533's? And do you have any idea what number the other bearing is? (2nd pic) Its totally gone i just know it was a needle bearing and the big mushroom gear sat in it there was so much slop but surprisingly the transmission operated fine with no noises before i tore it apart minus the leaking axle. I already replaced both outer axle bearings and seals just need to order these and get it put back together (hopefully) 

Edited by Gordyhogg