Gordyhogg

1989 312-8 bad axle bearing help!

Gordyhogg
Just now, 953 nut said:

You bought the bearings from Lowell @wheelhorseman right?  Best give him a call, he is first class and will make it right for you.

I think so I ordered them from wheelhorsepartsandmore...his email on the recipt is wheelhorseman would that be him?

• Like 1

WHX??

Now that is just bizarre. ..think his number is on his website ... if not I can pm it to you. Yup we all know him personally.

Gordyhogg
Just now, WHX24 said:

Now that is just bizarre. ..think his number is on his website ... if not I can pm it to you. Yup we all know him personally.

Isn't it?? I thought for sure id have it ready to be put together after work tomorrow...oh well thats how it goes sometimes. I believe theres a customer service number on my invoice ill try calling tomorrow. The good news is i got the 1532 installed so i accomplished something tonight 

20191211_194644.jpg

20191211_194707.jpg

• Excellent 1

wheelhorseman

OK my bearings are the correct size is there any numbers on that bearing because that is bigger than a 1533 can you get me a outside diameter of that bearing I know there was a substitution for a 1533 for a short time and you might have it

44E55236-B1D3-4E12-B935-1E8F67D05FE7.jpeg

838A8A02-45F3-4B40-8FC5-77F3D10105A5.jpeg

2D81E98E-9A4C-42A1-97D6-4DAB5CF0FCE6.jpeg

• Excellent 2

wheelhorseman

OK I  just got off the phone with @Gordyhogg and we figured out the issue he has a metric bearing. It is about 2 11/16” OD and a slight bit bigger on the ID  Please see picture below of the number and measurements of the bearing I’ve been trying to locate the old threads of what the substitution was when they ran out of 1533’s for a short time.

B5E16FED-4F18-4E2A-8064-3268B8ABD8FA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gordyhogg

Thanks again @wheelhorseman i got a picture of the old bearing part number hopefully everyone can see that. Just ordered new ones from ebay $21.00 free shipping

20191211_203411.jpg

Edited by Gordyhogg
  • Heart 1

WHX??

Found this too... 

https://www.amazon.com/***-Clearance-26000rpm-Rotational-Capacity/dp/B006314Y70

Interesting about the substitution thing. Learn something new every day since all I deal with is early model trannies. 

Any one have any idea or  know what year(s) this was done? 

Edited by WHX24

gwest_ca

Is this the transmission you have? Different bearing 111199

Garry

• Like 1

Gordyhogg

That's so crazy it does mention some using the skf 6008-c3...which mine does. How do you tell which transmission you have?

gwest_ca

If you have 1" diameter axles the 1986 model year transmission is model 110996. The 110996 transmission could have either carrier bearing which can be determined only by the tractor model number it went into as long as the transmission is original to the tractor. If the tractor model number is missing one must observe the bearing dimensions to determine what they are.

Since the change from 1533 to 111199 bearings happened mid-way through the 1986 model year they assigned a different model number to the tractor.

The bearings are not the only difference. The transmission cases and the differential carrier halves also changed to accommodate the different bearing dimensions.

Garry

Gordyhogg

Hey guys got the new bearings in and they fit! Now im starting to put it back together. Do you have to put any kind of sealant on the gasket? Also tomorrow when i put gear oil in...is lucas 80/90 what i want to use?

20191214_121802.jpg

20191214_123048.jpg

1576345873251430489791881001323.jpg

Edited by Gordyhogg
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

I do not use gasket cement on the case halves, and neither did Wheel Horse...just make sure the case halves are clean.  The 80/90 is fine for your transmission.

• Like 1

Gordyhogg

Thanks! @stevasaurus i ended up using a little black pernatex just to be safe. Ill fill 'er up tomorrow after i get the rest put together. At least its in again! 

20191214_145658.jpg

20191214_171556.jpg

20191214_171720.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Gordyhogg

Well its all ready to go and i put the plow on too with my new down pressure bar from @wheelhorseman Everything worked out great and i genuinely appreciate everyones help and input on this one! Its not totally finished...i still have a couple small bugs to work out but its one heck of a machine and im looking foreward to pushing snow with it soon. I now have a blacktop driveway at my new house...theres a slope going up to the road and ive read that chains will scuff up the blacktop...should i keep em on or swap it with the deestone ags i have on my commando 8?

20191215_112412.jpg

20191215_112422.jpg

20191215_180154.jpg

20191215_180204.jpg

20191215_180228.jpg

20190329_182741.jpg

Edited by Gordyhogg
  • Heart 1

Burnerman

Chains on your turf tires won’t mess the driveway up too bad as long as you don’t let them spin. I had chains on my AG tires and they just spun in the snow. I used the chains on the flatter turf tires this past storm and they worked great. No damage to the newer driveways I plowed. Great traction and with the downforce bar I was able to push the snow without scraping the ground. I could leave a few inches to pack down under the tires and chains. Then when I had most pushed back I could quickly clean up the last little “buffer” layer without a mark on the pavement. 
Glad to see you got the trans all squared away! You’ll have a blast pushing snow with it!

Gordyhogg

Thanks. Guys i decided to put the ags on anyhow to try...if they dont give me enough...back to the chains n turfs

20191216_172331.jpg

• Like 1

Gordyhogg

Of course...i knew i shoulda replaced those two other seals. The one for the brake drum is dripping from riding around the yard for a few mins...and i probly should do the drive pulley one too. Please tell me you guys know the part number and if you can do it just like the axle seals (without tearing it all apart again) :confusion-helpsos:

20191216_175851.jpg

gwest_ca

A few years ago I noticed seals leaking when I changed the oil. Ordered seals and still have them. The new oil doesn't leak for some reason or it swelled the seals up a bit. Still no leak.

Garry

Gordyhogg

New seals for input shaft and brake drum shaft are on the way from lowell. I believe i can just use a pick to remove them right?

WHX??
2 hours ago, Gordyhogg said:

use a pick to remove them right?

Correct. ...again tape over the keyways to keep from nicking them. Word of warning the input shaft seal is very delicate and easy to destroy trying to get it in. Don't ask me how I know. :hide:

I usually get two right off and smash the first one with a BFH just to get it over with! :lol:

Seriously I have had the best luck putting them in when the input shaft is in the tranny and use a small deep socket to VERY carefully seat it. Use grease to lube it. It has to go in and start in even all the way around.