JAinVA

Sometimes the good old days weren't

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

give me AC.

Agreed.

Trina and I are by no means rich but we sure do justify a few extra bucks on the electric bill when the temps are above 80 or so.

AC in a car? Pretty much necessary in my opinion.

• Like 2

JAinVA

Back in the day AC in cars was an option.Cars with AC in Maine?Nah ,we don't need that,went the reply.

• Like 4

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Back in the day AC in cars was an option.Cars with AC in Maine?Nah ,we don't need that,went the reply.

Quite true. Heard of it many times.

I "run warm" all year. I use my AC more than some. Mostly right when I get in the car after it's been sun baking all day but also, we both commute in/out of Portland daily. Asphalt is just hot. 

Just a few weeks ago Trina bought us an air conditioner for the house. The front room is nearly 12 x 40 plus an ell.

Cools all very nicely. 14000 BTU.

I've never had one that powerful before.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
15 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

When the auto manufacturers quit putting vent windows in cars and truck it change AC from a luxury to a necessity in the south.

@953 nut Today the young folk don't even know what vent windows are:confusion-confused: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@953 nut Today the young folk don't even know what vent windows are:confusion-confused: 

Some of the new Freightliners still have them.

Good airflow.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

I know that my old 78 Ford trucks,and I still have all of them,the vent windows were a source of wind noise in the winter.Buddy of mine would smack if you opened one because it was so hard to seal it up again.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Mows4three

Mowed our farm lanes today old school style.   Farmall A with a Woods belly mower.   Open operator platform.  No canopy or sun umbrella.   No AC, either.   Worst thing was no power steering.   I'll be using the brush hog on the IH 460 next time.  I may be sentimental when it comes to old tractors, but I'm not mental.   Give me power steering anyday with my bad shoulders!

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by Mows4three
  • Like 8

troutbum70

Our family just had our family reunion yesterday on my fathers family farm of which there was no electric, so no fans and upstairs where he and his siblings slept there were no windows to open, no insulation in the walls or ceiling. My father has said many times he does not know how he could have survived it and now be 92, and in the winter it was just as cold as it had been hot. during the summer. They were farmers and my grand father worked in the coal mines of which he walked two and a half miles threw the woods to the mines each day. So they worked their butts off everyday hot or cold. So we have life pretty easy as compared to them. God bless air conditioning.

• Like 7

troutbum70

Yea my brother and I have been bush hogging 70 acres of fields on a 47 ford 8n, it has been a scorcher on that old bugger. But then I think of my grand parents having mowed those fields behind a team of horse, so I guess the old 8n is not so bad. Although I believe the horses made the turns easier than the old ford, but that was still a lot of walking and they did not ware a fitbit just to see how far they had walked as I do hi hi.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

857 horse

You guys are takng us back,,,,,,,,,,walking with gran pap in the evening,,,while he lit the gas street lamps...…….the milk box on the front porch,,,,,the ice wagon,,,,,,,,playing in the water when they would flush the hydrants......chores before school in the morning,,,,,,

standing in class for the alegence as it played over the intercom,,,,,,,

no shootings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

night guys sleep safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:flags-waveusa:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

Achto
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

When the auto manufacturers quit putting vent windows in cars and truck it change AC from a luxury to a necessity

I drove our IH 4700 truck to Garden Tractor Daze in mid July. With the wing/vent windows open it was fairly comfortable in the truck, despite the hot temps. Floor vents like my old '70 Impala and my '67 Chev truck had were also great on hot days. AC still trumps simple air movement though. 

• Like 6

SPINJIM

Anyone else remember when the WINDSHIELDS in cars ventilated by tilting out at the bottom back in the 30's and early 40's ?   That was in addition to the side window vents.  I guess I'm showing my age, or showing that we were poor and had to drive an older car.    We have it good now.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 5

troutbum70

Remember them but was not old enough at the time to have one.

JAinVA

Remember the kids car seat was thing hung over the front seat with a tray and a steering wheelTimes have changed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

squonk
7 hours ago, JAinVA said:

I know that my old 78 Ford trucks,and I still have all of them,the vent windows were a source of wind noise in the winter.Buddy of mine would smack if you opened one because it was so hard to seal it up again.

Yup. opening the vent window for the first time was the kiss of death for a quiet ride. Then opening the floor vent for the first time in the spring all the leaves and junk would blow in all over your feet and stink! :banana-dance:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

WHNJ701
52 minutes ago, squonk said:

Yup. opening the vent window for the first time was the kiss of death for a quiet ride. Then opening the floor vent for the first time in the spring all the leaves and junk would blow in all over your feet and stink! :banana-dance:

now my wife's rav4 Toyota you can't open the back windows with the fronts closed.  it sounds like a helicopter and feels like your ears are going to explode

• Like 2

Pullstart
2 hours ago, squonk said:

And leftovers from the field mice...  

• Haha 2

peter lena

back in the day, we had a 10" GE  oscillating  fan that was shared around the house, it was fat city , when it was your turn. having 3 sisters i had to fight to get it , installed my central a/c over 30 years ago in my house, service it regularly , is the " secret " to solid performance. found that FLUID FILM ON THE COIL END TUBES , TOTALLY DUMPS THE CONDENSATION ,AND STOPS THE GRUNGE BUILD UP , THAT EXPERIMENT AND  " PAN TREAT TABS " in the drain chute regularly keeps it very clean. change filter at least  2 x a year , ceiling fans in each room , takes the work out of the a/c .  today's cars are built around a/c , its an integral part of the  interior comfort / viewing zone. long past " toughing it out "  make it easy on your self , j moo, pete 

• Like 2

LengerichKA88

I have been lucky to *almost* always have AC. 

My dad was an HVAC tech, so every few years we ended up with a new unit. One that fell off a truck, or one from the back of the warehouse that wasn’t accounted for, etc. Dad also made sure that we had the largest unit available at the time. I take after him in a lot of ways, but one of them is being extremely uncomfortable anywhere above 75ish degrees. I start to sweat at 70. My kids are the same way. Yesterday when I woke up, as I stepped into the hallway I heard the blower motor kick on. We live in a Tri level, with the Master bedroom on the top level and the return air at the bottom. I shouldn’t be able to hear it upstairs. Sounded like a mix of riding worn breaks in a car with a loose belt. Turns out the fan for our blower motor is kaput. The fins of the fan have shifted and are no longer pressed into the ring/hub like the should be. 

Now, I’m no Bear Gryls, but I consider myself at least slightly more rugged than most of my disappointing peers (yea, I’m a Millennial). I usually keep our house in the upper 60s, which the kids and I are comfortable in. My wife not as much, but she makes do. As I tell her “I’ve been to enough hot places in my life, I will always be comfortable in my own home, no matter the cost.” 

We got a little lucky yesterday though.. right around the time we decided to dive into our unit and see if it was a problem we could address, it was still pretty hot and humid out. The cool dissipated from the house quickly as we went back and forth for tools. Right as the house started to lose the last of its cool, clouds rolled in, the wind picked up, and the sky grew dark. Then the thunderstorms ripped through. By the time our house had warmed up to 80ish inside, the weather outside was tolerable, dare I say, enjoyable. Of all the days for my AC to go, and for us to shut it off to work on it, we lucked out with favorable weather. Now I’m not a religious Man, more spiritual I’d say, but I’ll be damned if it didn’t feel like the old man got up from his euchre game he’s playing up above to adjust the master thermostat for us. 

As I write this it’s a cool 70, with a breeze and drizzle. Feels like mid to upper 60s.  The house is tolerable for the kids and I. We’re waiting to hear back today on availability of a new fan, so cross your fingers for us there’s one sitting on a shelf here in Indy somewhere. 

• Like 2

pfrederi

Cars with A/C  Heck when i was young Heaters were an option.  my frugal father would only spring for two options, radio and heater. My mother finally pushed him to get powerglide....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Cars with A/C  Heck when i was young Heaters were an option.  my frugal father would only spring for two options, radio and heater. My mother finally pushed him to get powerglide....

I do remember my father having a 60s vintage Volkswagen squareback wagon back in the late 70s. Had no heater. He put a Coleman propane camping stove on the passengers floor and started it a few minutes before he left every morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mows4three
12 hours ago, troutbum63 said:

Yea my brother and I have been bush hogging 70 acres of fields on a 47 ford 8n, it has been a scorcher on that old bugger. But then I think of my grand parents having mowed those fields behind a team of horse, so I guess the old 8n is not so bad. Although I believe the horses made the turns easier than the old ford, but that was still a lot of walking and they did not ware a fitbit just to see how far they had walked as I do hi hi.

Troutbum:    

My grandfather's farm in WV still doesn't have electricity to this day.   Used a cistern to gather water because they were on top of a hill.   A well was out of the question due to cost and a spring was too far away.    

The primary mowing device before they got a horse drawn sicklebar mower was a scythe.   Now THAT is a workout.  I've got one that I have used sparingly and it about kills me when I get it out.   

I have a lot of respect for the guys who did this 10 and 12 hours a day for days on end during haying season.   

Cheers!

Dave

• Excellent 2