JAinVA

Sometimes the good old days weren't

LengerichKA88
15 minutes ago, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

I feel confident that if necessity dictated, I could do that, but I’m glad it doesn’t. Very cool video, thank you for sharing!

Does anyone happen to have an idea of what it was that he spread on his bread? Looked to me like drippings/lard with bits of stuff mixed in. 

bottjernat1

Im only 38 and my dad had trucks with ac and some with out but even the ones with ac we never used it. Dad would always say roll the windows down and slide open the back window. LOL We did have this chevy van one time not for to long cause he hit a deer with it. It was a 1993 big conversion van with the back seat that folded down into a bed. The ac was so cold in it it blew snow flakes i kid you not. LOL We took it to upstate new york from our home in indiana dad hated the gas mileage. 13 mpg on the ohio turnpike which is flatter than a pancake. I will never forget him crabbing about the gas mileage.

pfrederi
44 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

I feel confident that if necessity dictated, I could do that, but I’m glad it doesn’t. Very cool video, thank you for sharing!

Does anyone happen to have an idea of what it was that he spread on his bread? Looked to me like drippings/lard with bits of stuff mixed in. 

German Schmaltz (sp??)  very popular. lard with bacon bits spread on bread

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, LengerichKA88 said:

That's just about exactly what I was thinking.

Trina and I tried to do as much, for ourselves, and by ourselves, as we can. Obviously there are lines to be drawn here and there such as plumbing and electrical.

we would like very much to be more self-sustaining sometime in the next few years. On or off grid doesn't matter. Just doing more for ourselves, by ourselves.

All that said, I'm definitely glad that we live in an age of powered mechanization.

• Like 1

troutbum70

Yep I have a couple hand scythe and when we were young fellars we were taught to use them. We have electric on the property today for every ones campers, but none in the old farm house nor out buildings. And you bet those old timers new very well what hard work was and at the end of the day did not have a hot shower to relax with. Just a big tin tub in the middle of the kitchen floor of which the water was carried in in buckets from the pitcher pump next to the barn. So their hard work and dedication which has been instilled in us have made us better people with an appreciation for what we have. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

JAinVA , WE CAN RELATE TO THE CHILD SEATS , my wife and often joke about getting arrested today if you had a seat like that, at the time we had a saab 96 , 4 on the column, 3 cyl 2 cycle , i can still see my wife driving off with my daughter ,what a hoot. picked up the saab at a dodge dealer, while scrounging around, they had just installed a rebuilt crate engine in the saab. paid 400$ for the car, my wife put 100 k on it, talk about getting your moneys worth, terrific snow car , pete

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Some of you know that we have a collection of old tools all around the walls in different rooms in our home. One of those is my grandfather's scythe that he used when he was younger.

I think it was maybe in my early teens I tried to use that for just a few feet to see what it was like.

I remember picking up on it fairly quickly which is kind of surprising because usually my hand-eye coordination is pretty much garbage.

I really don't remember how long I tried to mess around with it but knowing me it was no more than 10 or 20 minutes.

Not the kind of thing I have a strong need to go back and experience again.

:lol:

Of those who let that life, I am in awe.

• Like 2

Stormin

I remember those Saabs well. Great rally cars. You could always know when one was coming by the distinctive sound. :thumbs:

I can also remember the windscreens that opened at the bottom. My early series Land Rovers had vent flaps under each windscreen half. You had to keep the mesh screens in good condition though. Or all the insects around would find their way in. Flies were one thing. Wasps and bees something else.

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Wasps and bees

Unfortunately I'm a little too familiar with those as well.

They have a nasty habit of hitting the mirror and bouncing into the truck through the side window whether it's my vent window or not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Stormin

I learnt the hard way to never ride a motorcycle wearing an open necked shirt. :shock:

• Like 1

troutbum70

I normally got stung a few times a summer when truck driving because I preferred the windows down over the air conditioning, unless it was really hot and sticky. And I prefer a windshield on my motorcycle I know that's no guarantee against bugs and bees, but the hits and stings are fewer than without.

Stepney

My daily driver is a 1985 Ford F150 which came from the dealer without a heater, AC, or radio. The blower motor blew air from the cowl onto the windshield, it was the only HVAC setting. It was also manual steer and manual brake, only option being 4wd and the overdrive gear. If people aren't shocked at the lack of radio/AC, just wait till you show them the lack of heater.. even my Model A had a heater.. (I often joke the paint might as well have been an option on that truck)

Funny, EB and I were just having a chat about old cars and defrosters. I of course added heat when I put the old rig back on the road. But defrost has always been a trick.. just went out and found a 1920's vacuum defroster fan to use in the cab for some effect of airflow when stuck in summer traffic, and my wing windows are suddenly useless.. hahah. 

We also have an elderly post-and-beam house, really makes me marvel when I spend the occasional night somewhere else, with strong center AC in the whole house. Sure wouldn't mind that at all.. 

A common rephrase of "The Bad Ol' Days" Comes up pretty frequent at our antique snowmobile outings.. but that's another subject:D

Edited by Stepney
  • Like 2

Mows4three

Great video.   Thanks for posting.   I've had the privilege to know several men and their families that lived a hard scrabble life.  Like someone else said, I know I have the skills to do the same if needed.   Thank goodness I've never needed to do so...

Cheers!

Dave

• Like 2

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Mows4three said:

Great video.   Thanks for posting.   I've had the privilege to know several men and their families that lived a hard scrabble life.  Like someone else said, I know I have the skills to do the same if needed.   Thank goodness I've never needed to do so...

Cheers!

Dave

I also have a.... Trina.

:D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

WHNJ701
7 minutes ago, Stepney said:

My daily driver is a 1985 Ford F150 which came from the dealer without a heater, AC, or radio. The blower motor blew air from the cowl onto the windshield, it was the only HVAC setting. It was also manual steer and manual brake, only option being 4wd and the overdrive gear. If people aren't shocked at the lack of radio/AC, just wait till you show them the lack of heater.. even my Model A had a heater.. (I often joke the paint might as well have been an option on that truck)

Funny, EB and I were just having a chat about old cars and defrosters. I of course added heat when I put the old rig back on the road. But defrost has always been a trick.. just went out and found a 1920's vacuum defroster fan to use in the cab for some effect of airflow when stuck in summer traffic, and my wing windows are suddenly useless.. hahah. 

We also have an elderly post-and-beam house, really makes me marvel when I spend the occasional night somewhere else, with strong center AC in the whole house. Sure wouldn't mind that at all.. 

A common rephrase of "The Bad Ol' Days" Comes up pretty frequent at our antique snowmobile outings.. but that's another subject:D

for a summer back in the late 90s I bought a big 4wd 85 f150 that was lifted, had a 302 out of an old mustang with a 4spd.  that truck was fun. it had headers and cherry bombs, would set off peoples car alarms in town.  I only had for few months, i couldn't commute to work with it. probably less than 8 mpg.  I still keep my opens open for another that mid 80's is my favorite ford truck body style.

• Like 1

LengerichKA88

You can tell that that life style is hard on a person though..... while showing this to my wife I caught something I missed before: In the video that gentleman is 74. I would’ve guessed another 10+ years in age. Not many 74 year olds I know, (which, admittedly isn’t many) are as, weathered as this gentleman. He is probably still healthier than most of his peers, but his life shows on him. 

*Not meant in a disparaging way at all, simply an observation 

F68A58FF-83DC-45B7-813E-36700FBBA7C6.png

• Like 1

Stepney
2 minutes ago, jabelman said:

for a summer back in the late 90s I bought a big 4wd 85 f150 that was lifted, had a 302 out of an old mustang with a 4spd.  that truck was fun. it had headers and cherry bombs, would set off peoples car alarms in town.  I only had for few months, i couldn't commute to work with it. probably less than 8 mpg.  I still keep my opens open for another that mid 80's is my favorite ford truck body style.

Here in Maine they are scarce. I have a 300ci Big Six, and am impressed with the 23mpg I get on the highway, if I take it easy. Of course it's geared to the moon. But for light towing and going to work it's a great combination of efficiency and reliability, along with good looks.

• Excellent 1

tunahead72
2 hours ago, Stepney said:

… We also have an elderly post-and-beam house ...

As in, timber framed?  I'd love to see pics!