seven

It killed

seven

It killed on me middle of the road. pulled plug no spark .now what have 12 to coil ? Filed points sorry it s charger 12

seven

I think it's the coil pack seeing as I just. Chanced it out to coil and I do know when I felt coil it seemed really hot?

seven

Maybe I got a bad coil?

troutbum70

Check all your safety switches like seat switch, clutch switch if standard shift, ignition switch and so on.

• Like 1

seven

Ok

Tuneup

You can jump the battery (+) to the coil positive to see if the spark returns. If so, switches and wiring. If not, and the coil is very hot with good points, it likely is breaking down from heat soak. Make sure the replacement is internally resistive or the heat will return as it's over charged. NAPA sells the coil. Also, read the coil voltage while running. If the regulator runs away and you're pumping 17 or more volts into it, won't last long (but the spark will be glorious).

• Like 1

seven

Ok im sure it was running hot and never new there was such a thing a will definitely  look for resist I've coil soon  it was really hot to the touch I would really like to know what size resister they put in line could do that myself oh well thxs

pfrederi

Any auto parts store will sell you a ballast resister. You will have to find a place to mount it, it gets hot and don't splash water on it.

• Like 1

ZXT

Does it have spark now that it's had time to cool off? I would almost bet that you didn't put an internal resistor coil on it, seeing as the problem started right after you installed it.

Generally the coil will get hot since it's designed to have 6v run to it, but it doesn't usually kill them the first time. If you want to keep that coil rather than replacing it with one with an internal resistor, go to the auto parts store. Tell them you want a ballast resistor for, say, a 69 Charger. Engine doesn't matter. Should be around $5. Wire it in-line with the switched hot wire feeding the coil. Like Paul said, mount it somewhere that it isn't directly up against any other wires or easily melted material, and also where it's somewhat shielded from water. 

That being said, it's probably easier to just put the correct coil on it. It'll be more reliable and you won't have to hack up the wiring.

Edited by ZXT
  • Like 2

seven

No it's dead even after cooled off no resister in it but it( had ) really good spark

seven

Ok went to Napa no luck said they could order one for 38 b told em I would look around they make a lot of variations i might just buy another cheap coil and add the resister?

pfrederi

This would work

Capture.JPG

seven

Ok looks just the one my dad put ion the  fatmsllM when he converted it to 12 volts thxs