AHS

Wiring a ‘70 Raider 12

AHS

Ok... how it is now.. I don’t know if this is stock, but a starter solenoid built into a key switch. I’d like to separate them have a starter solenoid separate from the new just regular key switch! Can anyone help me out with the wiring? Also a fuse wherever I need it? Thanks!

pfrederi

Are you sure there is a solenoid built in to your ignition switch??  That would not be original.  Is the wire from the switch to the starter  a heavy one??? Some WHs of teat vintage used heavy duty switches that carried full starting current.

Edited by pfrederi

953 nut

:WRS:

If your Raider has the factory type ignition system with the triangular ignition coil the wiring diagram below should do what you are looking for.

The ignition switch for this would be 103-991.

5b202f2559e4b_Mag.ignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.c9ba2b8fc2697f7770291614834b5fd4.jpg

• Like 1

AHS

Oh ya, the key switch, it doesn’t look like the normal key! And the starter wire was direct from the key switch! It has a round ignition coil. What is S, on the diagram, a ground?

gwest_ca

Does your ignition coil look like this? If so you have battery ignition and the above diagram is for magneto ignition and not the correct one for your tractor.

S is for starter usually controlled by a starter solenoid.

Garry

Ignition coil battery.jpg

gwest_ca

Does your ignition switch look like one of these?

First one is for magneto ignition - click on the pictures

Second one for battery ignition

Garry

953 nut
5 hours ago, AHS said:

Oh ya, the key switch, it doesn’t look like the normal key! And the starter wire was direct from the key switch! It has a round ignition coil. What is S, on the diagram, a ground?

The "S" is START and the factory switch would have two heavy terminals, "S" and "B" which is BATTERY

Could you move your gas tank and take a good picture of what you have there now. Also a picture of your ignition coil.

If you have a battery ignition system and wish to go to a "normal" electrical system with a solenoid this drawing will get you there.

This drawing uses a 103-990 ignition switch.

5b202f3dea878_batteryignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.a45b0505e2c823cc5019a77d8143fd27.jpg

AHS

Yes! That’s how it should look . It has no seneloid. So I’m gonna put one in there. It has the condenser and points. Hold on for pics!

AHS

It got a 3 position switch. Not the original!

941E24BA-4036-47AB-B7A4-7E3E3B9F0CD6.jpeg

1CF03E06-6A52-4A43-9446-A92272ACA99B.jpeg

461A5F61-654A-41BE-9762-832EE53AAC74.jpeg

pfrederi

If your current switch works there is no need to replace it when you put in a solenoid. Re route the heavy wires to the solenoid run lighter wires from Solenoid battery terminal to Switch B terminal and another lighter wire from switch S terminal to small trigger terminal on your new solenoid.

• Like 1

AHS

Ok, cool! The switch works. Thanks you guys!👍

• Like 1

AHS

Its coming along. The blue wire is my B, connected to a 30A fuse and the red is my S. It’s grounded by 8 gu. Wire going to the same spot that my battery ground is going.

E4C2D99B-E8B7-4678-A406-7C44285D4E15.jpeg