poppie59

520H Starter Question

poppie59

1995 520-H  having electrical problems. When I attach continuity tester to frame and then to spade on starter where blue wire attaches the light goes on. I am wondering is the starter grounding out?

Also when I attach tje continuity tester between the frame and pink wires on instruments it is also showing a current. help please thx in advance

WVHillbilly520H

It's one of the safety switches, please down load the demystification guide here in the manuals section.

poppie59

Thank you I have diagrams. I knew someone would be able to throw me in a better direction.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Here are the pages from the Demystification Guide you need.

Click on the picture

Garry

lynnmor

I think that you are using the tester improperly.  There will be continuity thru a solenoid and thru lamps, etc.

poppie59

lynnmor.  you are correct after  I  read your post I realized the bulb will continue the current thru. My ignorants. I will keep trying to figure this thing out. It all started with the fuse melting at the fuse block. the fuse was the one that the two wires come out,

lynnmor
1 hour ago, poppie59 said:

lynnmor.  you are correct after  I  read your post I realized the bulb will continue the current thru. My ignorants. I will keep trying to figure this thing out. It all started with the fuse melting at the fuse block. the fuse was the one that the two wires come out,

Good place to start.  Are you getting 12 volts on both sides of the fused circuit?  I have seen corrosion in the fuse block cause a poor connection that heats the fuse.  One source of fuse blocks.

poppie59

Thank you all for the help. I cleaned almost all the connections and got the tractor started. Ran a separate wire from the neg side of battery to voltage regulator

to help ground the voltage regulator. my last question is my voltage regulator is putting out 18.5 volts to the battery, is this to much voltage ?

gwest_ca

Yes it is too much.

Do you have an analog voltmeter you can try?

Sometimes the ignition systems generate too much interference to get an accurate reading with a digital voltmeter.

Garry

poppie59

No I do not have an analog voltmeter. Should I replace this voltage reg?

gwest_ca

With the key on but the engine not running compare the Wheel Horse voltmeter to the digital to see if there is a difference. The voltmeter in the dash is analog. If they are close to the same and the dash gauge goes up above 14.5 volts with the engine running I would say replace the regulator.

Garry

poppie59

Thank you Garry I will check when I get home later. I do know that the dash gauge shows over 16. Volts as it is pegging all the way to the right when tractor is running.

poppie59

Thank you all for your help. It turn out to be a bad voltage regulator. Replaced and running again.