870express

Clinton B1290 wiring question

870express

The photo shows what is obviously an electrical ground, but for what?  The ignition coil?  Was it part of the orignial design for the engine, or was this one "added" by someone later?

IMG_0144.jpg

gwest_ca

Does not look original to me. Likely was a convenient screw to ground something else.

Garry

• Like 1

oliver2-44

If you haven't found this yet, here's a manual that covers the Clinton B1200 series which should include your engine. 

• Thanks 1

wallfish

Remove the screw. I think there's a plastic isolater which would prevent it from grounding. The little square on the back of the plate.

• Like 1

870express

Thanks.  I agree there's no need to ground any of the ignition parts outside the bearing plate.  I'll remove the screw.

gwest_ca

Wallfishh is likely correct.

If the screw is installed in a nylon push-in nut it was possibly where the ignition wire went to from the ignition on the engine. Then the ignition switch wire could also be installed there - convenient.

Garry

• Like 1

870express
10 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

If the screw is installed in a nylon push-in nut it was possibly where the ignition wire went to from the ignition on the engine.

You were right.  There is a plastic push-in nut inside a square hole.  Looks like it was designed that way.  I removed the screw and two unused wire terminals, and replaced the screw.  It was put there for a purpose, but I'll probably never know what that purpose was.

wallfish
21 minutes ago, 870express said:

It was put there for a purpose, but I'll probably never know what that purpose was.

Garry is correct. The kill wire from the coil comes out through that little hole and connects there for easy convenient connection to a kill switch wire

IMG_0144.jpg.fa0678624c35ef4181597fad0c753527.jpg.c330f74c46718b7f76eb4b0d473fe51a.jpg

• Like 1