ebinmaine

Can I clean or remove rust from metal files without damaging or dulling them?

ebinmaine

I have a decent assortment of sizes and shapes of metal files and a lot of them have been in the family for many years. Stored in barns or basements.

They have a little rust on them. What can I do to remove that without damaging the file?

• Like 1

squonk

download.jpg.5575d08a8421618077243838f32ebce9.jpg I have no idea! :)

• Haha 7

WHNJ701

soak them in vinegar 

• Like 1

ztnoo

How about Lane's suggestion???

Blackhood Bill

@ebinmaine what I can tell you is this. My drawbar was rusted into my receiver, how long not sue although I know it was not that long, couldn’t pull it out by hand or pull it out my hooking on a tree with a chain. Sprayed white distilled vinegar on it and in the lock pin holes and started using a big 3lb. hammer back and forth. After about 20 minutes was able to work it out and clean it up, repaint both and it is working just fine again.

• Like 2

JAinVA

One of the ways to clean a rusty file and help resharpen it is to soak it in muratic acid.Acid dipping is a old school way to prolong a files life.Any place that sells masonary supplies should have muratic acid.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

ZXT

I was going to suggest Evapo Rust, since I've had great results with it, but I'm not sure I can top @Lane Ranger's experience with the Krud Kutter! That stuff appears to be amazing. I'll buy some, and if my results are even half as good, I'll be pleased. 

I will say that the Evapo rust is good for heavier rust, and is reusable. I've used it on tools before with good results. 

rmaynard

I use 50/50 water and vinegar to remove rust from cast iron cookware before I season it. Never tried it on a file. If it works, it's cheap.

wallfish

My vote is vinegar. I use cider vinegar as it seems to work faster than white vinegar. Easy, simple and no chemicals.

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I have a decent assortment of sizes and shapes of metal files and a lot of them have been in the family for many years. Stored in barns or basements.

They have a little rust on them. What can I do to remove that without damaging the file?

You ever tried a file card?  https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F200553226510

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Lotsa love for the vinegar... I'll try it out.

@WVHillbilly520H

I used to have one of those and never new what it was for. Thanks!!!

I ordered a new one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

formariz

I have cleaned rusty and clogged files all my life. Best method for me is electrolysis if they are badly rusted or clogged. After each use I clean them with a card file. I keep dedicated files for different materials, such as bronze, brass, steel, and aluminum as the most used ones. Also separate ones for wood, plastic laminate etc. Never let them touch each other, keep them separate and protected. They are cutting tools such as a chisel and should be protected as such. Old dull files are great for making other tools such as lathe chisels and other cutting tools. They are great steel.

IMG_1974.JPG.fa61d7207356ef7735fa0054dce18dc1.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG.d8af58920669629268b684ab548842d2.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG.1a22641e9c5e73fec6d3dd28f3240081.JPG

Edited by formariz
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

67 WH 877

I keep them clean with a wire brush, or brass...and keep them separated. :handgestures-thumbupright: 

oliver2-44
4 hours ago, JAinVA said:

One of the ways to clean a rusty file and help resharpen it is to soak it in muratic acid.Acid dipping is a old school way to prolong a files life.Any place that sells masonary supplies should have muratic acid.

:text-yeahthat:learned that method in machine shop class many moons ago!

ISpeaking of vinegar, I've found the big box grocery store brand vinegar is 9% acedic acid $2.99 gallon, while the name brand vinegar is 4% at $3.99 gallon. 

• Thanks 2

Pullstart
4 hours ago, rmaynard said:

I use 50/50 water and vinegar to remove rust from cast iron cookware before I season it. Never tried it on a file. If it works, it's cheap.

On a bit of a tangent, what else do you do for your seasoning process?  We had a lot of cast iron down stairs that flash rusted.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Not to take this post off the rails, I'll PM you.

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Not to take this post off the rails, I'll PM you.

No worries there Bob never with any of my posts.

I'm kind of off the rails myself anyways........

oliver2-44
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

On a bit of a tangent, what else do you do for your seasoning process?  We had a lot of cast iron down stairs that flash rusted.

I;ve cleaned several cast iron pots in my electrolysis tank.  Then my wife coats them with cooking oil and puts them in the oven overnight on it'd lowest setting (about 150 deg).  She does the coat and bake 2 to 4 times to get a good coating. 

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib
On 7/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, formariz said:

I have cleaned rusty and clogged files all my life. Best method for me is electrolysis if they are badly rusted or clogged. After each use I clean them with a card file. I keep dedicated files for different materials, such as bronze, brass, steel, and aluminum as the most used ones. Also separate ones for wood, plastic laminate etc. Never let them touch each other, keep them separate and protected. They are cutting tools such as a chisel and should be protected as such. Old dull files are great for making other tools such as lathe chisels and other cutting tools. They are great steel.

IMG_1974.JPG.fa61d7207356ef7735fa0054dce18dc1.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG.d8af58920669629268b684ab548842d2.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG.1a22641e9c5e73fec6d3dd28f3240081.JPG

:text-yeahthat: