JCM

Why the Wheelhorse addiction?

rayshorses
4 hours ago, JCM said:

WOW, some really great responses and to early to make any comments and thanks. I will put a plug in for the Meet & Greet to @rayshorses, it seems you are only about 1 and a quarter hour from N.Berwick,Maine, are you free Sept 7 to possibly attend ? Stay tuned.

sounds like fun. Let me know where and i'll put it on the calendar.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

LengerichKA88

I’d never heard of Wheel Horse before last year. Once we got our first one and I realized what a stout little machine it was, I started to take a shine to it. Once I started to really dig and found out that they were made here in Indiana, that increased the cool factor for me. 

Then I learned how versatile these machines are. My mom used to be an out of print children’s book seller, and my aunt used to be an antique dealer, so I spent lots of time as a kid in antique malls and flea markets. I’ve always appreciated older items. Most items that have a history can’t be used, or used regularly, but these machines can be. 

For me it wasn’t a instant “Oh my goodness I have to have it it’s so cool!” Thing.... it was a snowball effect. The more I learned the more interested I became. Another big part was Red Square. If I had come here looking for information and not been met with the hospitality, knowledge, and patience that I was, I would’ve lost interest fairly quickly.  

It’s because of good folks like @stevasaurus, @ebinmaine, @pullstart, and many others that have been so generous with their time, knowledge, and parts that I’m still interested, and now, have the confidence to do what I need to to keep these beasts running. 

• Excellent 9

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, c-series don said:

Addiction what addiction

I don't know Don. I think you might need a couple more but.....

• Haha 2

c-series don

But I’m pretty much out of indoor storage space Eric! Or I might get more. Probably could squeeze in one or two more though 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

LengerichKA88
5 minutes ago, c-series don said:

But I’m pretty much out of indoor storage space Eric! Or I might get more. Probably could squeeze in one or two more though 😜

What you do is claim to have an out building addiction. The horses are just there to fill them up, so you can show off the buildings storage capabilities  😂😂😂

Edited by LengerichKA88
  • Like 4

oliver2-44

I had never heard of a Wheelhorse until some one gave my son a rough 312-8 about 15 years ago. We got it running and delegated it to the farm to mow trails for hunting season. 

Fast forward and 5 years ago my son was buying his first house. I had learned how tough the tractor was so I restored it for him.  The restoration let to this site, which is a great wholesome addiction in itself. 

I grew up on tractors at the farm and worked in a Ford tractor shop during high school.  There as the show newbie I was delegated all the GT repairs.   You would think I would have at least one Ford  Gt, but in my youth I disliked how complicated it seemed to work on them, especially to someone who was learning how to do things. I don't have the room for large tractors, so garden tractors began to fill (and fuel) the hobby.There not many :wh: around Texas, so the search is an addiction in it's self.  As I began to buy a few other older brand tractors I too have re-gained a huge appreciation for the simplicity of our Wheelhorses. 

I say "our Wheelhorses" because we are just caretakers. They will out live us and move on to please others' green pastures. 

• Excellent 5
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, c-series don said:

pretty much out of indoor storage space

4 minutes ago, LengerichKA88 said:

What you do is claim to have an out building addiction

See that Don?

Kyle is always thinking.....

And actually he's got a really good idea that would be very helpful to you because if you get another building you'll have less grass. Less mowing. Less work. Less seat time. Wait a minute ... that might not be the best.

• Haha 4

LengerichKA88
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

See that Don?

Kyle is always thinking.....

There is always a loophole, give me time I’ll find it 🤷🏻‍♂️😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

I cant fill in the blanks that most have in all the above responses.

but to me it’s simplicity, strength 

American pride !! Oh and not to mention 

the greatest tractor site on the inner web!

C5D9CB9C-707A-413E-B729-DE4B808BC474.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
45 minutes ago, c-series don said:

Addiction what addiction?

8166F132-9299-4E99-9985-AFD2BDBD06EA.jpeg

F9A8C2EA-EE76-45E1-A375-45988BD04173.jpeg

B4973CCD-51A0-47BC-AA87-48D432540A4C.jpeg

7CF2E031-C765-4496-8E26-7759AAFFB6DB.jpeg

That last pic.... is no calendar shot.  It’s a brochure shot!  :eusa-clap:

• Like 2

ericj

Dad bought his first wheel horse in 1973, a 12 AUTO  then about 1976 he bought the D200 to do the garden work since the Case was down for a repair, probably a flat tire, I remember it sitting for years with one since dad didn't farm anymore at that point. The twenty as we called it never mowed grass only garden  work, plow disk, cultivate and snow and dirt  work with the front blade. In  around 86 Dad traded the 12 AUTO in on a 417-8. The 12 needed work and wasn't running. He actually used the Case 800 with the bush hog to mow the yard becuase it was so high just before doing the trade. Thrn in 94 my brother bought his first house and bought a 416-8 with the Onan. I fell in love with that onan sound. When I bought my house I bought the p.o. Toro 1200 HMR rear engine rider becuase I didn't think I could afford a wheel horse. Bought my first wheel horse about a year later for $ 50.00, a 74 C120 AUTO, with out a deck. Scrounged around till I found a deck, then a snow plow and then a snow blower that was for a much older wheel horse and adapted to fit. Problem was that every time I tried to use it, it would break. Then I was forced to lay in the snow and try and swap back over to the plow. I thought wouldn't it be nice to have a tractor for both, so no need to switch in the middle of the storm. So I bought my second horse a 75 C120 AUTO with hydro lift. It had problems and didn't run right, then it started to knock. Sounded like a rod from down in the oil pan. So I swapped parts between the 2 to improve my first tractor and drove the 2nd tractor around back of the house to park it and just as I stopped where I wanted it the rod left loose. I left it sit for a while. I then committed to rebuild the motor when the wife told me we could by a new tractor. I walked into the dealership and bought a 99 314-8 with a 42 RD deck. Would have loved to have bought a 416-H but had quit making them in 97. So then I had 3 tractors.

Working for an oil company doing heating and air I was always on the look out at customers house for another wheel horse. I rescued several that way. Once I found craigslist it was all over. Then I found redsquare and that I guess sealed the deal from you all encouragement  LOL

I inherited my dad's D200 and his 417-8. Several years ago I found an auction listing with a 73 12 AUTO. I had to go and lucky for me the Little guy's show got rained out that day, so I went. Of course the tractor was the last thing sold and I payed more then I wanted, but I brought it home. One owner and in real nice original condition   

eric j

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ericj
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

how long did it take you to pose that shot to where you wanted everything ????

eric j

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

midpack

I still want it, but right now my toes are in the sand on Virginia Beach 😁

Racinbob

It started for me in 1960 at the age of 5 when my Dad brought home a new Suburban 400. It wasn't long before I was wrenching on it doing things that, thinking back, surely made my Dad cringe but he just let me learn. By the time he bought a new 704 he was pretty much leaving all the maintenance to me. I loved it. After getting married in 1975 I started my own collection ending up with 8 or 9, about every attachment made and enough parts to build several more. I was well know with several dealers, Chandlers, Hwy 19 (Countywide sales), Stan and Teds and a few others. After selling everything in order to jump in our motorhome and head to Florida in 2000 I was without a Wheel Horse for a few years Somehow I managed to get back up to 3 while down there and now, back in Indiana, I'm at 5. I have no idea why but I didn't discover this site until about 2012. Even though I have been hopelessly addicted with WHA pretty much all my life all the folks here have done nothing but fuel my addiction and make it worse :angry-nono: :banana-rock::banana-rock::banana-rock::banana-rock:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

JCM

I wanted to take a minute to thank all of you who responded to this topic,some of you spent some time typing for sure,and some great pictures as well. @c-series don WOW what a line up , that hedgerow is beautiful as well and @emdmat1981 nice to see some XI;s and a 420-LSE worker. The stories were great.         Thanks

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

19richie66

My dad passed away and I got all but one of his tractors. One thing lead to another. I parted the bad, kept the good and bought a couple more along the way. I  have nine, I am hooked but I have enough to keep me busy for a long time. Not to mention the people in the hobby are great to be around and chat with. This is a great place. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

wallfish
48 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

My dad passed away and I got all but one of his tractors. One thing lead to another. I parted the bad, kept the good and bought a couple more along the way. I  have nine, I am hooked but I have enough to keep me busy for a long time. Not to mention the people in the hobby are great to be around and chat with. This is a great place. :handgestures-thumbupright:

What ever happened to that hot rod 2 seater you were build'n? That thing was coming out awesome.

• Excellent 1

19richie66

It sadly had parts rolled into other things. I do still have a lot of the parts and one day hope to resurrect it as something else. I have an idea for all my leftover parts(Mini-14) 😁. Plus I have some parts essential for that coming after I get moved. Sorry to disappoint John.

• Sad 1

JCM

@cruisnblue48     Yet another GREAT story with a black & white photo of an original WH to boot. It is amazing how many DADS are the cause of this so called addiction. You are a lucky man to have that tractor back in the family.   Thanks again.

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

I wouldn't have a thing for WH's if it wasn't for this site. I bought a Wh with a loader on it stricktly for the loader. Came here to find out what I bought since it didn't have any decals on it and bam! New obsession!!! 

I was going to put the loader on one of my cubs but didn't have time right then and I have grown to love my 1277. The hydro control is the kicker to the deal. I would still like to put the loader on a 149 cub, but I am going to have to make a hydro control like my WH. I love the looks of my 1277 so much, I just want to restore it to its original beauty! 

Randy

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

Where I live, northern end of Cumbria, England, Wheel Horses are pretty rare. Most are down south, either brought over by US service personnel or imported from Belgium.

Found my C-125 by accident, quarter mile from home while walking my dogs. It was in a microlight hanger a chap was clearing out due to not being able to fly anymore. None runner, but I got it going there and then. Next day £70 changed hands and I drove it home up the lane.

Found Red Square and WH fans over here. Chris Sutton and Meadowfield in particular, have become good friends. Got the C-121 off Chris and rebuilt it. Then the C-81 partly restored turned up 25 miles away. So that found it's way here.

With going down south to a couple of shows per year, stopping with Chris, more fellow WH fans became friends. Ended up buying the Sears/Roper of AlanR to give it a good home, as he could not keep it after a full restoration.

Again it's the robustness, versatility, reliability, simplicity and ease of maintenance that I like. And last but not least, the pleasure I get from using them.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

AHS

Cause we don’t want a John Deere! And cause the red looks sexier than the puke green!! Would you like me to keep going?

• Haha 1

AHS
On 7/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, c-series don said:

I’m gonna show this to my wife! Damn, that lawn looks good!!

• Like 1