dlaw90

Solenoid Clicks But Engine Won't Start

dlaw90

I went to mow the lawn with my 1998 314-8 and it will not start. The lights turn on and the 4 fuses in the fuse block are good. I am measuring just over 13 volts across the battery terminals. I am also measuring 13 volts at the starter solenoid. I can hear the solenoid click once when i turn the key, but nothing else happens.

Where should i go from here?

Sparky

I would check the quality of the large cable connections at the solenoid and starter. If all is good, with the key turned and the solenoid “ clicked or engaged” do you have full voltage at the starter ?

• Like 1

Guest 88vic

I have found that just because the solenoid clicks doesnt mean the starter is getting any voltage. Put a test meter onto the starter wire at the starter motor. Sometimes the solenoid fails internally. If its clicking thats a good sign that you are getting voltage to the little signal wire at least. 

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:                                           Is the engine free?      If you have 13V at the starter and it isn't turning, you probably need a new starter.

• Like 1

dlaw90
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

I would check the quality of the large cable connections at the solenoid and starter. If all is good, with the key turned and the solenoid “ clicked or engaged” do you have full voltage at the starter ?

2 hours ago, WHEELHORSEFAN*16 said:

I have found that just because the solenoid clicks doesnt mean the starter is getting any voltage. Put a test meter onto the starter wire at the starter motor. Sometimes the solenoid fails internally. If its clicking thats a good sign that you are getting voltage to the little signal wire at least. 

Thanks for the help. To test voltage at the starter motor, would i put one lead on the thick wire coming from the starter solenoid and the other lead on the black post of the battery?

dlaw90
2 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

:text-yeahthat:                                           Is the engine free?      If you have 13V at the starter and it isn't turning, you probably need a new starter.

Thank you. I have never had to turn an engine by hand to see if it is free. Do you have any advice on how to do this?

Ed Kennell
44 minutes ago, dlaw90 said:

Thank you. I have never had to turn an engine by hand to see if it is free. Do you have any advice on how to do this?

With the ignition switch OFF, Engage the PTO, then turn the PTO pulleys by hand.

• Like 1

953 nut

1916184483_1electrical.jpg.7e8b583b7b5c08dba9e9a7e8b4ee5ce3.jpg

ericj

my 99 314-8 does this every now and then. Slam the pto off and on a couple of times and try it again. if that don't work slam the clutch pedal down, also that tractor may not start in gear, mine doesn't. Probably just a safety not making contact. good luck

eric j 

The Tuul Crib
5 hours ago, WHEELHORSEFAN*16 said:

:text-yeahthat:

Lee1977

Voltage don't tell you much. You can have voltage but not enough amps to start the engine. Could just be a weak battery.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

953 nut
17 hours ago, dlaw90 said:

I can hear the solenoid click once when i turn the key, but nothing else happens.

If the solenoid clicks then the safety switches are properly positioned to allow the starter to turn over. Clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds.

dlaw90
18 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

With the ignition switch OFF, Engage the PTO, then turn the PTO pulleys by hand.

Thanks. I was able to turn the engine by hand

• Like 1

dlaw90
21 hours ago, WHEELHORSEFAN*16 said:

I do not read any voltage at the starter motor. Im not sure if i am hooked up to the right spots. Attached is a picture. The other lead from my meter is clipped to the black post of the battery

20190707_140358.jpg

dlaw90
13 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Voltage don't tell you much. You can have voltage but not enough amps to state the engine. Could just be a weak battery.

I tried measuring voltage drop when i turn the key to get a rough idea of amps. My voltage did not change when i turned the key to on.

Guest 88vic

I would replace the solenoid, costs about $20 at your local hardware store. Make sure you take the old one with you to compare, there are a couple different styles. Make sure you get one that is the same as yours so all your wires connect properly. 

gwest_ca

Here is an operator manual and a wiring diagram.

Review what the manual says for starting just in case you are missing a step.

The wiring is complicated on this model because they added a neutral shifter switch to the manual transmission. There are 4 relays in the starter circuit. 

Are you sure it is the starter solenoid that clicks or could it possibly be one of the relays? Touching the relay when it clicks you may feel the thump.

Garry

Tractorhead
On 7/7/2019 at 8:24 PM, dlaw90 said:

I tried measuring voltage drop when i turn the key to get a rough idea of amps. My voltage did not change when i turned the key to on.

That sounds to me the Solenoid doesn‘t support Power to the Engine.

i don‘t know exactly this Starter but i know two Types of.

on some older Starters the Solenoid can be disassembled and cleaned, 

mostly contacts burnt, because they have to switch a lot of Amps.

This helps sometimes if the Gear is pulled by Rotating the Startermotor.

if they not completley done, they can be cleaned and refurbished.

sometimes they pulled also a fork, that release the Gear out.

if the Gear is completley out, the Contacts will rotate the Startermotor.

If the fork is broken you have to exchange, because the contacts will not connected.

So the Starter wan‘t rotate.

to check this out, remove the Starter from Engine.

(Please remove Battery Ground before !!!!!)

clamp it gently in a Vice if you have and check with Startercables the solenoid

If the Gear pops out you have the Second described Startertype.

If it doesn‘t, it must be Startertype one i described.

The Current draw (Voltage drop) you see, was just the Solenoid itself.

If you like, post a closer Pic from Starter on your Desk. 

953 nut

I presume you have cleaned and tightened the electrical connections as suggested.

Before you spend money on parts you may not need do a couple of simple checks.

Take a small jumper wire from the battery "+" to the small terminal on the solenoid that is tied to the ignition switch. If you have a good connection from the battery to the input terminal and your grounds are all good the solenoid should close and turn over the starter.. If you haven't cleaned and tightened all of the connections including grounds and one is causing the problem then all bets are off.

Use a jumper cable from the battery"-" terminal to the engine block. Use a second jumper cable from the battery :+" terminal to the starter terminal and see if it turns over. Presuming it turns over move the cable that is connected to the battery "+" to the output side of the solenoid and see if the starter turns over.

Next take an old screwdriver and connect the two large solenoid terminals and see if the starter turns over.

• Like 1

dlaw90
On 7/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, gwest_ca said:

Here is an operator manual and a wiring diagram.

Review what the manual says for starting just in case you are missing a step.

The wiring is complicated on this model because they added a neutral shifter switch to the manual transmission. There are 4 relays in the starter circuit. 

Are you sure it is the starter solenoid that clicks or could it possibly be one of the relays? Touching the relay when it clicks you may feel the thump.

Garry

Thank you. At this point I am not so sure it was the solenoid clicking. I replaced the solenoid today and still have not had any luck starting the tractor

dlaw90
On 7/7/2019 at 3:30 PM, WHEELHORSEFAN*16 said:

I would replace the solenoid, costs about $20 at your local hardware store. Make sure you take the old one with you to compare, there are a couple different styles. Make sure you get one that is the same as yours so all your wires connect properly. 

I replaced the solenoid today but I am still not able to start it

953 nut

What diagnostic checks and repairs have you done so far?

You can spend a lot of money buying parts you don't need without any improvement. You need to go step by step cleaning and tightening all electrical connections including grounds. The fuse holders and relays are located below the battery and are susceptible to corrosion, take a close look at them.

• Like 1