McGrew

Fresh Paint and Decals

McGrew

The hood of my Raider has fresh paint.   I took it back to bare metal and put on 2 coats of Rustoleum primer.  I then spayed it with 3 coats of  Rustoleum Regal red, in aerosol cans.    The final  coat was applied 32 days ago.  I have new hood decals from Vinylguy (they look great!), but do not want to apply them before the paint is fully cured.  I put the hood back on the tractor 2 weeks after the last coat, and believe the paint was a little soft, as some of the paint came off where it contacts the butttons I installed on the hood stand.  So my question is this:  When will it be safe to install the new decals?  Thanks for any input!   Danny

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

We use Rust-Oleum 2X here.

I find that it takes a minimum of 4 weeks to approach "cured".

I know you've been that long and it would probably be fine....

But I'd wait another couple weeks unless you want to "show"  it somewhere.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

McGrew When was doing painting I had the luxury of have a second floor in the garage. In summer it is like a furnace so I would leave all parts up there for the summer made the paint harder less scratching on assembly. Enjoy.

Lee1977
2 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

McGrew When was doing painting I had the luxury of have a second floor in the garage. In summer it is like a furnace so I would leave all parts up there for the summer made the paint harder less scratching on assembly. Enjoy.

When I painted mine I just put them out in the sun after the paint got dry enough that nothing would stick to it. 

• Like 1

McGrew

Thanks guys!  Since time is my friend, I will let it sit a while longer before applying the decals.  Although patience is not a virtue I am known for :unsure:, a couple more weeks won’t kill me...  I have a hundred other projects waiting for attention.  Thanks again!  Danny

• Like 2

oliver2-44

:wwp: with the new decals

McGrew

Oliver2-44 consider it done!  This tractor will never be a trailer queen, but I am pleased with the results so far.  Right now, it is a combination of at least 2 colors of red...   I am cleaning it up a little at a time.  Danny

The Tuul Crib

You can use this after that time get this and rub it out. Then use the wax to finish it . 

Worked great for me!

0E1DA4F2-5BC9-4F46-9088-983887777939.jpeg

McGrew

Thank you Tool Crib!  I debated whether to compound it, but since the paint is not as smooth as I would have liked, I am definitely going to compound and polish.  And I like Meguiar,s products.  My wife calls him smiling Barry...  Danny

McGrew

Okay guys, it took longer than I planned (it seems that is the norm...) to get the decals on and get some pictures taken.   But I got it done.   I modified the hinge mounting points to make the hood fit correctly, and made new brass bushings for them. I applied the decals a couple weeks ago, and they went on without a problem, and look great!  The rest of the paint on the tractor is some color my Brother put on it when he restored it over 20 years ago.  One day, I will find the time to make it entirely Regal Red, but this tractor is a worker, and the two tone paint has not kept it from working!  Here are the results:  

0404B0B9-016D-445D-8191-8A06F3BAD75E.jpeg

0B6832AD-3BF4-4076-BD68-74C9E5B68E2C.jpeg

E3B91D28-2B81-48B8-8ACB-9CC75512861A.jpeg

8BB0C33F-F638-4991-AE20-3F1FA19538C7.jpeg

123ED8F2-BCDD-43DB-BC02-F3FB8B02FDF6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

rjg854

I like what you did with the head light, looks as though it's always been like that.  Can you give us a close-up picture of that?

McGrew

Rjg854, sure!  I cannot figure out how to post a link to the thread on my IPad, but if you do a search on this site for “LED Headlight Upgrade” you will find a thread I started back in May of this year.  It details the install.  I have not had many chances to get it out at night, but the light it puts out is pretty incredible.  Danny

• Thanks 1