Jrblanke

3 Prong Ignition Switch Died, What's Needed to Convert to 5 Prong?

Jrblanke

Good afternoon everyone! 

I am trying to get my 876 with the k181 starter gen motor running so I can load it up for the big show. When I turn the key to the on position, it turns the motor over continuously instead of only turning it over when I turn the key to the start position. 

I had a new switch in my shed but when I got it out of the bag, I realized it was a 5 prong switch. After doing a quick search on here, I have found that original 3 prong is different from the 5 prong, and is not a direct conversion. What do I need to do to make the 5 prong switch work. I do have a new starter solenoid in my shed, but I'm not sure which model it goes to. It looks like the one on my 1991 312-H. 

Achto
1 hour ago, Jrblanke said:

What do I need to do to make the 5 prong switch work. I do have a new starter solenoid in my shed

You will need to use a solenoid with the 5 prong switch. I don't have a diagram so I'll try a description.

Positive wire from the battery to one of the large terminal on the solenoid.

Run at least a 16ga wire from this same term on the solenoid to the "B" terminal on the switch.

The + wire on the starter/gen to the other large terminal on the solenoid.

Run a wire from the "S" terminal on the switch to one of the small terminals on the solenoid.

If the solenoid has two small terminals ground the other one.

Run the coil wire to the "I" terminal on the switch

This should get you going

troutbum70

Are you sure you don't have a couple wires shorted out causing the problem? Have you tried bypassing the switch by using a couple wires jumped on the plug to see if the same thing happens? Just a possibility.

ebinmaine

Cole hersee brand makes a good quality replacement for those three prong switches.

I could get you the part number later on this afternoon.

if you want to stay original and or not need to rewire the tractor you could just buy a new switch. Just be sure to get a decent name brand because there's a lot of amperage going through those directly.

Racinbob

I just put one on my 854. The Cole Hersee #95521B

Wiring up with a solenoid is a better set up unless you want to stay with the original style. I used it simply because I like the sound of a starter/generator starting. :)

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I just put one on my 854. The Cole Hersee #95521B

Wiring up with a solenoid is a better set up unless you want to stay with the original style. I used it simply because I like the sound of a starter/generator starting. :)

Agreed.

Very unique.

Ask @JCM....

• Like 2

bottjernat1

Here is a 3 prong i found online. I have this style in my daughter 875 horse. it has the starter generator on it. I was going to replace hers with a new old stock but i heard from a good horse friend of mine bill orr that the switch i have is a good one and if i tried to put the old style in someone had to make the hole bigger to fit the one thats in it now. so im leaving whats in it alone. Here is what i have i found online. check ebay there cheaper on there.https://express.google.com/u/0/product/9169874905509081053_8199748875677673530_7820913?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_prop&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&gtim=CJLF6cebhJ3HVxC_-4r_lIyQwxEYkOPtAyIDVVNEKPCg6ugFMPGs3QM&utm_campaign=7820913&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3O2204_44gIVFcpkCh1ZegkDEAkYASABEgLs0PD_BwE

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

Here is a 3 prong i found online

It is important, VERY important, that if you're going to have the full current of the battery and charging system going through your ignition switch you absolutely MUST HAVE A RATING IN WRITING of what that switch is capable of holding.

I didn't buy that exact switch because the seller could not tell me what amperage rating it had.

The Cole Hersey number has a rating that is around 60 or 70 amps.

Maybe a few extra bucks to get a hold of one of those but I don't want to burn My Tractor Down.

Be very very careful when purchasing electrical parts that you are buying one that is RATED TO DO THE JOB you need it to do.

Nothing in writing, I don't use it. Tractor, car, house, doesn't matter.

Not trying to be negative or tell you what to do. I just don't want you to make the same mistakes that some of us have already.

• Like 1

bottjernat1
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

It is important, VERY important, that if you're going to have the full current of the battery and charging system going through your ignition switch you absolutely MUST HAVE A RATING IN WRITING of what that switch is capable of holding.

I didn't buy that exact switch because the seller could not tell me what amperage rating it had.

The Cole Hersey number has a rating that is around 60 or 70 amps.

Maybe a few extra bucks to get a hold of one of those but I don't want to burn My Tractor Down.

Be very very careful when purchasing electrical parts that you are buying one that is RATED TO DO THE JOB you need it to do.

Nothing in writing, I don't use it. Tractor, car, house, doesn't matter.

Not trying to be negative or tell you what to do. I just don't want you to make the same mistakes that some of us have already.

Agreed it pays to do your research!

• Like 1

Jrblanke

Thanks so much to everyone who replied! After reading your replies and thinking about it, I too really enjoy the originality of the starter gen and the sound it make starting up. I ended up scrapping the plans for trying to get the 876 running and just driving to PA without a tractor this year. 

Thanks for all the info on the switch. I am going to double check the switch is bad, then order the heavier duty switch.

James

Jrblanke
On 6/19/2019 at 9:38 PM, troutbum63 said:

Are you sure you don't have a couple wires shorted out causing the problem? Have you tried bypassing the switch by using a couple wires jumped on the plug to see if the same thing happens? Just a possibility.

Looks like this was the culprit. Silly me. I didn't notice that the generator light prong was bent at 90 degrees, and one of the terminals on the starter switch is a little loose. It is entirely possible that the terminal rotated around and shorting out the switch. I hooked everything back up and found that the switch worked properly. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut

Enjoyed seeing you at the show James.

troutbum70

Glad it all worked out.