Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Commando 8 Surprised Me

71_Bronco

A few weeks back, I picked up a Commando 8 with a 36" gear drive deck. Needed a little attention to get it mow ready, including tires, belts, fluids, carb tune, seat, deck height wheels, blades, muffler, and a few other things I'm sure I'm missing.

I mowed yesterday with it, after getting a different set of slightly smaller deck wheels to clear the oversided back tires, and a little tuning of the carb.

After mowing with it, I disengaged the deck, and took a spin around the yard in 3rd gear. I was very surprised how quick that thing moves in 3rd. That was the first time I tried that gear. Was super fun to rip around, but a little scary too due to it's small size and lack of safety (roll bar and / or seat belts) lol.

The other thing that really surprised me is how well the gear drive deck cuts. I never really paid attention to how nice the grass looked after I mow. No high spots from the deck cutting uneven, and just overall looks really good. Even my wife made a comment about how good it looks.

I also really like too that it's a rear discharge, so I dont have to be as conscious about where the grass clippings shoot.

• Like 3

WHNJ701

that's why I cut my lawn with my 854 with 36 rd, nothing beats a wheel horse cut.  all the fancy people across the street have zero turns give me strange looks 

• Like 2

Sparky

I’ve never used a gear drive deck but have heard they cut nice.  

One of these days I’ll rig one up on my Commando and give it a whirl :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
On 6/16/2019 at 11:24 AM, jabelman said:

that's why I cut my lawn with my 854 with 36 rd, nothing beats a wheel horse cut.  all the fancy people across the street have zero turns give me strange looks 

looks of jealousy no doubt....