seven

Harbor freight sandblaster

seven

Anyone have be much luck with these how many cfm required to run one? Want to blast a 877

Edited by seven

mhlmeader

You can check out my thread on suburban 400 restoration.  I bought the Hf 40lbs blaster.  I dont recall the exactcmf requirement,  but I'm using a 240v 6hp 30gallon aircompressor.   My suggestion would be, if you use get one is the bigger the gallon capacity of your compressor the better.  I can blast pretty good for a few minutes, then pause to let the compressor catch up.  And I use black diamond fine grit blast material to limit clogging in the blaster, I'm pleased with mine. 

• Like 1

pacer

The large cabinet from HF is pretty nice - the small one not so much. You have to do some assembly and particular care doing this will help with leaks (I even added some weather stripping in a couple places)

As for CFM, to get best results - and to keep frustration down! - you need a lot of CFM, ideally above 14-16cfm. I run a 5hp 19cfm compressor with an 80 gallon tank and it will rarely shut off if I'm doing a lot of blasting, but it is still supplying enough to get good results.

As mentioned with the smaller compressors you quickly dump the tank and all the air you have is what the compressor is putting out and you just cant remove much like that, having to wait for the tank to build back up and get another short bit of use.

I also use Black Diamond from TSC, at $8 a bag its easily affordable.

Also to be considered when setting up the cabinet is the volume of dust that will quickly fill the cabinet, severely limiting vision - a dust removal setup of some kind is almost a 'must have' After messing with vacuum cleaner setups, I finally bought a dedicated collector. With a 20% coupon its not a bad price....

https://www.harborfreight.com/blast-cabinet-reclaimer-kit-60739.html

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I built my own oversize blast cabinet.  It was a lot of work. i bough the HF dust collector mention above. The filter leaked and after about 3 months (one tractor) the fan blades exploded.  If you read the reviews, many have had good luck with this item, a few poor performance.  I just drew the poor performance card.  As always HF is low cost, so there's a little dice rolling involved.  But the next professional one up cost a lot of $$.  I've been looking for a professional used one, but no luck.  So, I'm actually thinking about trying my luck with another HF   

JoeM

Anyone ever use the wet blaster, NorthStar Heavy-Duty Abrasive Blasting Kit — 5000 PSI, 12.0 GPM, Model# 21004?

I don't have a lot of blasting, no room for a cabinet and was wondering how it worked.

ZXT

Seven, post the specs to your compressor. I'd say 12 CFM is a bare minimum, and even then you'll have to pause and let the compressor catch up. I have a 14 CFM and have blasted with it, but I work for a while and then let the compressor catch up and cool off as to not overheat it. 

You'll also want to invest in a water separator and a regulator. Damp air and sand do not play well together.

• Like 1

ZXT
2 hours ago, OILUJ52 said:

Anyone ever use the wet blaster, NorthStar Heavy-Duty Abrasive Blasting Kit — 5000 PSI, 12.0 GPM, Model# 21004?

I don't have a lot of blasting, no room for a cabinet and was wondering how it worked.

I looked up the kit and it looks like it's just the hose, minus the nozzle that you have to purchase separately. Where do you put the abrasive? Wet blasters are neat, in that they don't warp the metal you're blasting. 

You can buy a HF tank style sand blaster if you don't want to deal with a cabinet. I will add that blast cabinets are worth every penny and are handy as can be.

Edited by ZXT

bc.gold

Two stage Quincey on an 80 gallon tank cut out at 180 psi comes back online at 120 psi, regulated air for cabinet blasting depending on what is being blasted between 40 and 60 psi.

My buddy a painter of cars and trucks used a long piece of 2inch black gas pipe 12 feet long angled on the shop wall then a foot from the bottom had a T plumbed in with a drain attached, the incoming air came in from the bottom end discharged at the top end. This set up works good at removing moisture from the air.

quin.png

rmaynard

Harbor Freight says that the 40 lb cabinet type blaster requires 9.5 cfm at 90 psi with a maximum pressure of 135 psi. I have used one of these and I offer the following suggestions:

1. Replace it's interior light with super bright LED lighting. The more light you have, the better you will be able to see your work.

2. Definitely attach a high volume vacuum cleaner to the exhaust port. The dust you create blasting makes it impossible to see your work.

3. Remove the screwed on viewing glass frame and attach it with magnetic strips. After several blasting sessions, the stick-on plastic protective sheets need to be replaced and they are next to impossible to put on inside the cabinet. Modifying the glass make it a breeze to replace the film.

• Thanks 1

953 nut
15 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Remove the screwed on viewing glass frame and attach it with magnetic strips. After several blasting sessions, the stick-on plastic protective sheets need to be replaced and they are next to impossible to put on inside the cabinet. Modifying the glass make it a breeze to replace the film.

Thanks Bob, that is a great idea!                :happy-partydance:

CCox

Check out www.tacomacompany.com

The guy makes a number of upgrades for HF blast cabinets.  My good friend did it to his.  He runs a lot of sand volume with little air, something like 40 psi.  Much less cycling of his compressor and great results blasting.

• Like 1

Digger 66
On 6/15/2019 at 1:21 PM, ZXT said:

You'll also want to invest in a water separator and a regulator. Damp air and sand do not play well together.

^^^^^ :thumbs: ^^^^^

bc.gold
6 hours ago, CCox said:

The guy makes a number of upgrades for HF blast cabinets.  My good friend did it to his.  He runs a lot of sand volume with little air, something like 40 psi.  Much less cycling of his compressor and great results blasting.

40 to 60 psi on my blaster.

seven

Ok so many thxs and  me not knowing anything about a cabinet one would it be to small for like wheelhorse hoods. And rims? 

pacer

For the larger items I use a a setup similar to this 'siphon' system.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Sandblasting-Gun-Kit-Pneumatic-Sandblaster-Grit-Shot-Spray-Gun-3-Nozzles-USA/123756412632?_trkparms=aid%3D333200%26algo%3DCOMP.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D58647%26meid%3D74da2e5d9d484bf88bb0e90319dec6ee%26pid%3D100008%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D192872548644%26itm%3D123756412632&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

I dump my Black Diamond in a 5 gal bucket and trail a 50ft air hose out in the yard with a couple saw horses to sit the fender, hood, rims, etc on and blast away..........

WVHillbilly520H
On 6/18/2019 at 6:05 PM, CCox said:

http://www.tacomacompany.com/....