marko

WHEEL HORSE 312A

marko

WHERE CAN I OBTAIN AN ELECTRICAL SCHEMATIC FOR A WHEEL HORSE 312A ?    I JUST GOT THIS MOWER DECK AND TRACTOR, AND BYPASSED ALL ELECTRICAL , AS I COULD NOT GET ANY RESPONSE FROM KEY SWITCH  OR STARTER RELAY !   SO I JUMPERED FROM THE RELAY TO THE STARTER, AND POWERED THE COIL DIRECT TO ACTIVATE SPARK, AND SURPRISINGLY IT STARTED AND RAN BEAUTIFULLY.

MY FEELINGS ARE THAT ALL OF THE SWITCHES ON THE SEAT, BRAKE, PTO, AND IGNITION ARE ALL CORRODED FROM SETTING OUTSIDE IN THE ELEMENTS, AND I WOULD LIKE TO BYPASS THE SWITCHES, REPLACE THE RELAY AND BASICALLY DIAGNOSE THE WHOLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, AND GET EVERYTHING WORKING AS IT DID WHEN NEW !  ANY HELP OR FEEDBACK WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

ebinmaine

Good morning @marko and congratulations on getting that thing started. Welcome to Redsquare!

If you could get a picture of the ID tag or the model numbers or whatever it would be very helpful in someone finding you the right manual. @gwest_ca 

we generally don't advise bypassing safety switches for any reason. Particularly the seat switch or PTO switch.

gwest_ca

Sounds like you have battery ignition so one of these 2 tractor models.

21-12KE01 (312-A) - Toro 312-A Garden Tractor (1986)

21-12KE02 (312-A) - Toro 312-A Garden Tractor (1986)

Each link will take you to an online parts list but they are not the best. They are shared with similar models so one item number may show up more than once but they fail to identify what model tractor uses what part. Ignition switches are one and they operate the opposite to each other so can do major damage if incorrect.

These diagrams are from a huge Demystification Guide which can be download if you require that.

If in doubt ask questions.

Garry

peter lena

glad you got it running, you can easily make up some clamp on jumpers to jump the switches, i would also check out the fuses, being outside is very tough on an open system like on the horse. having had a similar issue, i sandpapered the switch contact points and used dielectric grease at every wire hook up. now that you are running , you can go to each electrical step and improve its electrical flow. download the file from above and detail all your contact points, good luck , pete