huey

Kt 17hp series 2 vs Kohler 14hp magnum

huey

just wondering your thoughts on which would be a better pulling engine in stock class i'm thinking that the 17hp has more horsepower but the 14hp has more lugging power. currently using the 14hp to pull with now but have the 17hp sitting on the shelf staring at me!

953 nut

Image result for there is no substitute for cubic inches

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

JCM

I can't help you with what engine would be better for pulling but I have a 12 & 16 HP Kohler single and a 17 HP KT 2 series engine and when at idle the KT sounds like a friend of mine who passed away 2 years ago his 1967 Chevelle SS with an aluminum head 427 with a borg warner 4 speed 4.88 rear axle,it must be that solid lifter camshaft. That Chevelle now sit's in a garage with no future because his stepson has no idea how dangerous that car is in the wrong hands. I remember when that car was painted in 1978 in red lacquer, and yes it would pull the front wheels off the ground.       Love those Kohlers tho

• Like 3

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, JCM said:

solid lifter camshaft

Love that noise...

• Excellent 1

troutbum70

Yep those solid lifters had a sound of their own, like an old V8 Detroit they were in a league of their own. Not a real power house but they sure did sound cool.

• Like 1

huey

i am just wondering because i remember when cutting grass with the 17hp if i got into a little long grass it would lug the engine down a bit and cutting grass with the 14hp in long grass it didn't seem to lug down at all while cutting the same grass!

Edited by huey
  • Confused 1

fast88pu

The problem with the 17hp opposed twin is most clubs don't have a class for them and you would be forced to pull with the Vtwins. 

troutbum70

Did someone mention a V8 318 green machine? Nothing will replicate that sound.