520hC-120

1968 Raider 12 No Spark

520hC-120

Hi guys.

I have a 1968 Raider 12 with no spark. To start it has a serial number on the dash tower that is 481580 and on the engine D012086. I say this because I’m one thread I saw how the engine was swapped and I don’t know how to check if they match. But back to the no spark. I have tried taking the “m” wire off the switch and still have no spark. I took all the connecters off the rectifier and ran a jumper from the positive of the battery to the post on the starter with a ground, and no spark. This leads me to believe that it is either the solenoid, or the coil. I also have sorted out the points and a new condenser. So when I tried to locate the coil or solenoid I just see two wires leading into the middle of the engine behind the flywheel plate. I don’t know how to get to the components that may lead to my issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. Just ask if you’d need more pictures or description for an answer. 

Thanks!

Achto
2 hours ago, 520hC-120 said:

Any help is greatly appreciated

There should be no need to look at anything that has to do with the starter or the charging system. If it turns over with the key switch, the starting system is working. The charging system is also separate from the ignition system.

Removing the wire from the "M" terminal on the switch proved out that the system is not grounding out from the switch, good. Trace this wire all of the way to the other end and make sure that it has not rubbed through causing it to ground out else ware.

Maybe a dumb question but.. Did you try a different spark plug?

You checked the points and I'm going to assume the gap looked good. Did you clean them at all? Running a dollar bill through them while they are closed will clean any light residue off of them. If they are real bad some fine sand paper will clean them up, follow with a dollar bill after sanding.

In order to get to your magneto coil you will have to remove the fan shroud on the left hand side of the engine. After remove this shroud you will be able to see the coil poised just above the fly wheel, unless yours is under the fly wheel. If it is on the out side of the fly wheel check the gap between the fly wheel and the coil to make sure that it is with in specs.

If all the above check out, you may need a new coil.

Here is a manual to down load. It will have all the info you need to get through this.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4104-engine-kohler-k-series-sm-tp-2379pdf/

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

What are the rest of the numbers on the engine?

Suspect your tractor is late production model 1-6231 using Kohler K301S-47147b with Bendix starter, 10 amp alternator and magneto ignition with points and condenser.

Magneto ignition is self-powered and any battery voltage will destroy it. When the ignition wire is grounded to the chassis it shuts the ignition off.

Try cleaning the points with a point file if you have one or a metal nail file. They will get invisible oxidation on them that prevents the contacts from making electrical contact. Get that off and it may run.

Garry

• Like 2

520hC-120

The points are brand new and I will still clean them. I will trace the m wire back to check for grounds. The rest of the numbers also listed as the “Spec No.” are 47147B.

520hC-120

Update

I checked the m wire and it is fine. The points I cleaned with a dollar bill. Still no spark. I took the flywheel shroud off and looked, there is no coil. Do I have to take the flywheel off?

CF333884-4D4F-4A0A-8520-5074924B6B04.jpeg

Edited by 520hC-120

953 nut
30 minutes ago, 520hC-120 said:

Do I have to take the flywheel off?

The coil and the magnets that work with it are behind the flywheel. Use a Harmonic balance puller to remove it.

Image result for harmonic balancer puller

• Like 2

520hC-120

Thank you, but I don’t have one of those pullers.

Edited by 520hC-120

oldredrider

Any auto parts store has the puller. $15-$20.

953 nut

Several auto parts stores will lend you a tool, call around.

520hC-120

I got the tool and have the flywheel off. I looked through that manual and can’t seem to find the pages I’d need. Anyways it seems that my stator has an issue but I don’t really know as I’ve never done this before. I just need to know if I should get a whole new assembly or try to fix this. And how to do so. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

gwest_ca

Have you looked at this older service manual? Click on the fuzzy picture

Garry

520hC-120

Thanks

I went through the tests and found I need a new stator. I looked on eBay and only found ones that looked like the one in this picture. But mine looks a lot different. What do I search for and does anyone know where I can get one.

BED603EC-05D4-4485-B139-A024D60FD3CD.jpeg

Edited by 520hC-120

gwest_ca

Do you know if the charging stator worked to charge the battery?

I'm thinking it would not cost any more or maybe less to change it to battery ignition. You already have the points. The condenser may be different so a coil and ignition switch would get you going.

I looked at the Kohler parts list for your spec number and it does not show what you have. It shows breakerless ignition for variation 509 on page 77.

The others start on page 73.

If the b following the spec number changes the ignition to magneto I can't prove it.

Maybe someone else can figure it out.

Garry

520hC-120

I’ll look into it. I might want to keep it original.

The battery was being charged before it just quit giving me spark.

520hC-120

I looked at the parts list. Are you saying that if I got all the parts listed under variation number 509 that I could just swap them and have an ignition system instead of the magneto? Also I have found that the assembly for my stator or PN 237876 is rare and hard to find.

gwest_ca

What the parts list shows for your spec number and ignition is 509 but that is not correct because you do not have breakerless ignition and doubt you would want it. It is just as expensive and maybe more because parts are scarce. When it fails most owners add a set of points and change to battery ignition. You already have the points.

Early 1968 production used Kohler K301S-4712B with starter/generator and battery ignition.

When they went with the Bendix starter like you have with a 10 amp stator they changed to the magneto ignition.

Garry

520hC-120

Ok thanks.