posifour11

Don't be me! Don't be stupid!

posifour11

Firstly, I'm going to add pictures to the end of this. Be forewarned! 

My apologies to @ebinmaine and @Stepney for not replying to messages earlier. 

Ok, so I spent the 26th of may working on a horse I traded for from a guy in Lebanon, MO a couple years ago. ( Don't remember your name, sorry.)

Anyway, I'd just gotten it running and wanted to put it through it's paces to know what I had. My wife was transplanting and was working away with the pick and shovel against the rocks here in the Ozarks. ( Don't worry, she loves this physical junk like a weirdo.) I offered to put on this furrow plow to finish it up while she went inside to cool off. 

Anyway, to make a @stevasaurus 😂 story short, I got hooked on a root from a huge cedar tree. As a leaned back to pull the plow up to back up and restart, a bolt broke on me. 

I was kinda in shock. Shakey and lightheaded.  I backed up like I should have done in the first place, raised the plow with the hydraulics I should have used, and parked the tractor. I went into the house and quietly said to the wife, " I'm going to need a ride". She knew that if I was that calm, something was wrong, but not bad. She didn't even need to ask where to. 

I went to the kitchen sink and started running cold water over my finger. My blood had already started to clot in a drop on the end of it. (At least I'm not anemic, thankfully!)

She knew me well enough to know I wasn't dying. Once she had washed up enough to take me to town, I had my driver's license and VA card in hand, her car was running, I had a wet kitchen towel on my hand and ready to go. The drive was about half an hour to the hospital during holiday traffic near a recreational lake. 

The folks at the ER weren't busy because it's not the 4th of July and not hours before work on a Monday. I was quickly taken to the triage nurse and taken to a room. The nurse was great and fun. She even noticed my "semi-shock" situation. She joked with me and my wife as she talked me into sticking my finger into betadine. 

After the x-rays said it was just a tiny fracture, I had to wait a bit. No biggie. Nurse came back many times to jab at me about getting out of gardening. She was great. 

At about an hour in the room, the PA came in. He said, paraphrasing "yup, we'll poke all the meat back in and stitch it up." BTW, I love his bedside manner! 

The worst part was the "numbing" shot! For those that have had those shots in a finger, you know what I mean! I've had them in my right big toe, left thumb, my face ( on my lip! By an Army doctor that didn't care much) and this finger. My face was the best! I was squealing and humming a scream through my nose. I'd forgotten how much fun those shots were. 

If it hadn't been for my training in the Army and my wife's Army training with her medic company, one or both of us would have freaked out. 

After all that, though..... My wife let me order pizza because I was a good boy!

So, after all that, I got five stitches, a great pizza and a happy wife that put me on the couch and went back out to plant her flowers. 😀 

Pictures below! 

Oh! And you'll be happy to know, I aired up the tires and got back on my horse today!

0608191529.jpg

0608191531.jpg

2019052895161100.jpg

2019052895161103.jpg

2019052895161133.jpg

2019052895161138.jpg

201905289516182395HDR.jpg

2019052895162220.jpg

• Sad 5
  • Heart 1

stevebo

That is really nasty... Glad you did not lose the tip. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Well done sir.

No apologies necessary for the no contact. I feel like that's a reasonable excuse.

Hahahahahaha....

Hope you heal well!!!!!!

• Haha 3

953 nut
14 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

got back on my horse today!

Glad all is well! :handgestures-thumbupright:   I have always used power saws to attempt to amputate my fingers, :confusion-confused:  never thought about using a plow!  :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

posifour11
12 minutes ago, stevebo said:

That is really nasty... Glad you did not lose the tip. 

@stevebo, I'd actually almost cut the tip off of the same finger as a teenager after a bonfire incident. 

I told my wife, just two days before this, that I was lucky to still have my fingers. 

I'm going to knock on wood from now on!

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

going to knock on wood from now on

You may want to start carrying some right in your pocket....

:ychain:

posifour11
23 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Glad all is well! :handgestures-thumbupright:   I have always used power saws to attempt to amputate my fingers, :confusion-confused:  never thought about using a plow!  :ychain:

It's easy! You just have to " not think!".

• Heart 1

posifour11
31 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You may want to start carrying some right in your pocket....

:ychain:

I might need to! I'm alone in the woods most of my waking life. Luckily, I do most of my "really" stupid stuff when the the boss lady is around. 😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ed Kennell
57 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

I'm going to knock on wood from now on!

I recommend soft pine or balsa.  :ychain:

• Haha 4

posifour11
17 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

I recommend soft pine or balsa.  :ychain:

I shouldn't use my head for this? I was way off....

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

JAinVA

Looks nasty.Glad you are up and healing!

Razorback

Eeeeeeyouch!!!!!!

Happy healing!

wallfish

Too late!

hope you're feel'n better

• Haha 2

posifour11
7 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Too late!

hope you're feel'n better

Of all of the stupid things I've done, I've only been hurt by a few of the lesser ones. Knock on @ebinmaines balsas. 😁 

I've been lucky! 

• Haha 3

posifour11

I should mention that the VA really took care of me with this. I called them on the next business day and told them about it. I immediately had an appointment to have the stitches taken out and antibiotics. 

They were great! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, posifour11 said:

use my head 

I've tried that but I discovered that my head isn't wood... It's rocks...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

Love those Short Stories...  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 2

Marv
20 hours ago, posifour11 said:

Firstly, I'm going to add pictures to the end of this. Be forewarned! 

My apologies to @ebinmaine and @Stepney for not replying to messages earlier. 

Ok, so I spent the 26th of may working on a horse I traded for from a guy in Lebanon, MO a couple years ago. ( Don't remember your name, sorry.)

Anyway, I'd just gotten it running and wanted to put it through it's paces to know what I had. My wife was transplanting and was working away with the pick and shovel against the rocks here in the Ozarks. ( Don't worry, she loves this physical junk like a weirdo.) I offered to put on this furrow plow to finish it up while she went inside to cool off. 

Anyway, to make a @stevasaurus 😂 story short, I got hooked on a root from a huge cedar tree. As a leaned back to pull the plow up to back up and restart, a bolt broke on me. 

I was kinda in shock. Shakey and lightheaded.  I backed up like I should have done in the first place, raised the plow with the hydraulics I should have used, and parked the tractor. I went into the house and quietly said to the wife, " I'm going to need a ride". She knew that if I was that calm, something was wrong, but not bad. She didn't even need to ask where to. 

I went to the kitchen sink and started running cold water over my finger. My blood had already started to clot in a drop on the end of it. (At least I'm not anemic, thankfully!)

She knew me well enough to know I wasn't dying. Once she had washed up enough to take me to town, I had my driver's license and VA card in hand, her car was running, I had a wet kitchen towel on my hand and ready to go. The drive was about half an hour to the hospital during holiday traffic near a recreational lake. 

The folks at the ER weren't busy because it's not the 4th of July and not hours before work on a Monday. I was quickly taken to the triage nurse and taken to a room. The nurse was great and fun. She even noticed my "semi-shock" situation. She joked with me and my wife as she talked me into sticking my finger into betadine. 

After the x-rays said it was just a tiny fracture, I had to wait a bit. No biggie. Nurse came back many times to jab at me about getting out of gardening. She was great. 

At about an hour in the room, the PA came in. He said, paraphrasing "yup, we'll poke all the meat back in and stitch it up." BTW, I love his bedside manner! 

The worst part was the "numbing" shot! For those that have had those shots in a finger, you know what I mean! I've had them in my right big toe, left thumb, my face ( on my lip! By an Army doctor that didn't care much) and this finger. My face was the best! I was squealing and humming a scream through my nose. I'd forgotten how much fun those shots were. 

If it hadn't been for my training in the Army and my wife's Army training with her medic company, one or both of us would have freaked out. 

After all that, though..... My wife let me order pizza because I was a good boy!

So, after all that, I got five stitches, a great pizza and a happy wife that put me on the couch and went back out to plant her flowers. 😀 

Pictures below! 

Oh! And you'll be happy to know, I aired up the tires and got back on my horse today!

0608191529.jpg

0608191531.jpg

2019052895161100.jpg

2019052895161103.jpg

2019052895161133.jpg

2019052895161138.jpg

201905289516182395HDR.jpg

2019052895162220.jpg

Looks like mine when I got it caught in the bomb doors.

Marv

Lee1977

Get rid of it Craftsman plow. The Wheel Horse is just too strong for it. That is the reason you got hurt. :ychain:

• Haha 1

oliver2-44

Good to hear your OK.

I love your .... " I'm going to need a ride". 

I had a dumb moment and had to tell my wife the same thing! 

• Like 2

formariz

Glad that it was not worse than what it is. Good title. Every time these things happen it is always because our stupidity, and most of us if not all, know better. Rushing, distractions, or just plain overconfidence lead to it. I am also lucky to still have all my fingers but there has been too many close calls.

• Like 1

posifour11
On 6/10/2019 at 11:36 AM, formariz said:

Glad that it was not worse than what it is. Good title. Every time these things happen it is always because our stupidity, and most of us if not all, know better. Rushing, distractions, or just plain overconfidence lead to it. I am also lucky to still have all my fingers but there has been too many close calls.

Mine was definitely overconfidence. I was wanting to show the boss lady that my tractors were really useful. 

posifour11

I wanted to do an update. It's right around two months since this exercise in stupidity. The finger bends fairly well but there's a lot of sensitivity, still. If I hit it on anything, I quickly remember to keep it out of the way. 

He even got my fingerprint kinda close.

I'm going to say it again. The VA has taken care of everything because I'm a disabled veteran that uses them for all of my health care. I've never received a bill. They are starting to really take care of folks! ( My dad had a very different experience.)

20190730_102228.jpg

• Excellent 2

posifour11
On 6/10/2019 at 10:50 AM, oliver2-44 said:

Good to hear your OK.

If I'd done it myself, I'd have gotten a spot of blood on my beat to hell, 300k s10. That would clash with the mold decor that the previous owner (fishing guide) had started. 

She was calmer than I expected. I guess it's her experience with taking kids to the ER while I was deployed or driving herself to the hospital for baby stuff. 😁

• Like 2

WHNJ701
On 6/10/2019 at 11:50 AM, oliver2-44 said:

Good to hear your OK.

a few years ago I was working on a model airplane and slipped with the xacto knife which opened my palm into the muscle. I wrapped it up walked upstairs and asked my wife how late is the emergency room open for?  24 hours she said,  my reply was,  I think I am going to need a ride.  

Edited by jabelman
  • Haha 1