TailGate18

Knowledge Needed (help)

TailGate18

Need help please 

Can't exactly identify my wheelhorse. I believe I've pinned it between 74-79 but not sure exactly. I'm not real knowledged in mowers but interested in learning. It ran few years ago. Then parked in a storage unit for about 3 years with gas left in it. I can't get it to run at all unless using ether.

I've drained all the old gas, I've replaced the fuel lines, new plug, new gas, but it just won't start up and keep going. I figured on new carb but don't know exactly what I'm looking for and thought I'd better know the exact details of the mower so I know I get the right parts. Any help would be appreciated. The info I do have is as follows.

The mower itself all I could find was one tag on the frame under the gas tank.

ID # 61-08K801-05782

Then under that 4 digits

Has a Kohler motor info as follows

Model-K181

Spec- 30538

Displ (cc)- 305

Serial #- 2613800539

It'll crank but not start. Not even attempt to start. With the fuel line off of the fuel pump it shows it pumps fuel. I thought the possibility of the float being stuck in the bowl but again not very knowledged in this field. Would appreciate any insight, details, knowledge, help or anything of the sort. Or info on the information of the tractor so I know exactly what I'm asking questions about

Says it's a B-80 8 speed

Thanks in advance

F6B21CF6-5BC3-4DCF-9CFD-7A623697C4BF.jpeg

A77234E5-028B-49D2-8E8D-00CB941D9B54.jpeg

5EF16767-FDAA-44E4-9F82-E7C2F68C73E8.jpeg

A3629BC0-56CF-422E-9E24-541E2AB7FBB1.jpeg

DAD57F78-5854-438E-80BE-3DB4EB6284D2.jpeg

150372A2-FE6C-4C18-A2C8-423C7BA312AE.jpeg

A8233181-73DB-4C76-B23F-9B5B78ED9D90.jpeg

• Like 1

Achto

Don't be afraid of the carburetor, there is really not much to them. Down load a free Kohler manual, so that you have reference. Disassemble the carb and clean it up, I'm sure that it is full of gunk from old gas.  If you buy an average rebuild kit it will only include new bowl gaskets, a float needle & seat. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

moe1965

My guess would be a stuck needle valve in fuel bowl but I would make sure you had spark first.  Take out the plug and rest it on the meatel shroud of the engine. Crank the engine over with the starter and see if the end of the plug sparks if not you will have to check the points and maybe run some Emery cloth between the two contacts sitting that long sometimes this is the only.ssue. after you clean the points run a index card between the points when they're closed to clean them. keep us updated 

Edited by moe1965

TailGate18

So any idea where to obtain the Kohler manual? Again I'm not exactly sure what the exact year is. And just want to make sure my info is correct before trying to find a rebuild kit. I'm not afraid to take it apart lol I'm afraid I won't get it back together right. 

And I did just as the second response said. Took the plug out and rested it on the metal cover and used the ignition to kick it and there is spark. Looks to be plenty of spark. The inside of the spark plug hole was pretty wet to which would make me think it's processing fuel. 

• Like 1

clueless

It's a 1976 or 77 B-80 not sure that's the original engine though. It's a kohler 8 hp so the carb kit for a kohler K181 should work. 

Darb1964

If the needle valve is stuck or the float is not working right,it's getting to much gas or flooding. Be careful with the starting fluid,many engine have been done in by that stuff.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Your tractor is a 1976 B-80   , but your engine appears to be a 1996 replacement.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Click picture to take you to the Kohler manual you can download here for free.

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib

There are also some you tube videos 

and isavetractors.com has videos as well .

Now the tractor looks great but seat is the

wrong color!! Easy fix !! Good luck and...

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:text-coolphotos:

• Haha 1

TailGate18

Thank you everyone for all the responses. I have downloaded the manual and now I know the year and a little more insight on the motor I just ordered a new carb kit. $20 well worth it even if it don't fix it. Ill keep it updated to let everyone know how this pans out. Look forward to more help to. I'd really like to get this back to what it once was. When things were built with pride in mind not $ signs and cheap labor lol. Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Achto

Sorry that I forgot to give you a :WRS:

If you run into issues feel free to give us a shout.

The Tuul Crib

You also need to pay attention to the 

orientation of the way the choke hooks up 

to carb . Alot of the jap carbs are wrong or backwards. 

:twocents-02cents:

clueless

Please loss the starting fluid, trust me, buy some carb cleaner, works the same but not near as damaging.

Also:text-welcomewave:.

kthack657

Have you tried replacing the fuel line? The gas that is out today is tough on the lines and could have caused them to collapse, especially if gas was left in the lines...even if you drained the old fuel.  We have had to do this to several tractors we have gotten.

TailGate18

Yes thank you I have replaced the fuel line, I have now ordered a new carb and a new fuel pump. Now as previously stated. I'm not inclined on these things but want to learn. I'm sure I could figure it out it's just common sense to pay attention and know just a slight bit in how things work and pay attention. But I'll also have more time invested than necessary. So that being said, does anyone have any quick links on carb and fuel pump replacement? I'm sure I can get it I just dunno how to remove the wire connectors that control the fuel and carb flap lol. (As I said I'm not inclined but want to learn) i have spent a lot of time on you tube but seems like no matter the word combination I use I can't find anything specific to what I'm looking for for my exact motor. 

Thanks in advance

Goldnboy

I have the exact same tractor you have unlike a lot of previous posts everyone heads first to the carburetor. But many engines will "run" albeit poor with a gunky carb. I believe you may have an Electrical corrosion issue from setting for so long which i would clean all connections with a steel brush, the ammeter gauge can be a pest at this and the foot clutch safety switch (connect the two wires together with a jumper).